Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that a lot of homes have hurricane shutters on the windows while the house is occupied. This practice is crazy and dangerous. If a fire were to break out egress is prevented. When it is adults only well they should know better, but when kids are in bedrooms that have no way to escape, it is criminal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,014 times
I have a shuttered south westerly facing picture window in the rear of my home that keeps out the sun makes a ten degree difference in that room in the summer. It's next to a slider so easy exit if needed. So for me there is a reason to shutter occupied homes

Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
If the window doesn't open, or is a typical Florida jalousie type it cannot be used as an egress anyway. They (mostly older people) cover them to save on AC. It's not like we have two story houses here where you will be trapped on the second floor. They are small BRICK ranchers with tile flooring over slab, I doubt you'd have a problem getting to a doorway, especially since most bedrooms down here have sliding glass doors.

Yes...it looks ugly and i wouldn't do it myself, but I can't blame them for keeping unused south or east windows covered to save electricity.

On a related note, I just tinted my front southern windows with low E tint from Lowes....It makes it at least 5 degrees cooler in the rooms now, even with the curtains open. I could never open those curtains before! For only $50 i should have done it a long time ago...

Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
We put up clear panels on two windows facing the front of our house for the first threat of the year and leave them up till the end of hurricane season. Riding by the house, it is not even noticable. Also have some hard to get at windows between houses on one side that stay shuttered once they are closed. There is still plenty of exit opportunities available. In our case it is not a safety issue.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
I guess I don't understand why the county building code requires windows to be of certain dimensions and number if they are just going to be sealed up and unusable. Just doesn't make sense to me, I must be missing something.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Just moved into our rental and I noticed this on one house I had admired and a neighbor told me they always have their hurricane shutters up - the woman inside is old and sick - so sad.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Some people put the shutters up to aid in shading a room, and helping things stay cooler.
Others, put up some shutters in rooms that aren't used much for the same purpose, as well as making it easier if the need arises to put them up.
It only takes me an hour or so to put them all up, but for some this can be a more difficult process.
I agree with the original poster though - I would feel bad if a tragedy should ever happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte