Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,525 times

Advertisements

Hello my husband and I are relocating from Maryland to the Port Charlotte area. I would like a safe, family friendly neighborhood with a nice community. We prefer a development on the canal. We are coming down in August to look around. Looking for a single family home under $225k.
If you could please tell us areas to look in when we come down? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,654 times
Almost anything south of Edgewater Drive in PC, or PG isles in PG. Other areas are nice too, but in your price range you'll have no problems getting something in the "more desirable" areas.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 AM

229 posts, read 346,806 times
Something to consider, when shopping around check the flood zone (canal will almost certainly be in one) and insurance rates. While my taxes were far lower and made up for the increased insurance rate I was somewhat taken aback by how much insurance is here. Water is high as well but my utility bills are still lower than a winter in NE.
Call me weird (many do) but I love the trash pick up service here...no stickers to buy, no funny colored bags, getting rid of yard debris is a breeze.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Are you looking to be in a deed restricted community with homeowner association fees or do you want to be in a non-deed restricted area? There are not a lot of deed restricted communities on a canal in your price range. You mentioned you wanted to be in a development. Most of the areas in Port Charlotte are non-deed restricted neighborhoods. Which means anyone can park a boat, a camper, etc. in their driveway or yard. There are county ordinances they must follow though. If you live in a deed restricted community, there are more restrictions such as what can and cannot be parked, fences, sheds, colors you can paint your home, etc.

Homeowner insurance for homes built prior to 2002 and homes in a flood zone will be quite high. Just keep that in mind when looking at homes.

Are you looking for a Gulf Access canal home or just any type of canal (meaning saltwater or freshwater)? If you want to be in Port Charlotte some areas to look in would be south of 41 (Tamiami Trail) near the Edgewater/Ohara/Lake Worth area. There are canals running through different areas of Port Charlotte, but they aren't necessarily in a development.

Some deed restricted communities would be Rotonda West, South Gulf Cove, Deep Creek, Harbour Heights, Gulf Cove.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 AM

165 posts, read 336,551 times
Not sure if you've considered Rotonda which is about twenty minutes from Port Charlotte off 776. We bought here in 2010 and love it. It is in the shape of a circle and each piece of the pie has a name. The newest division is called Pine Valley. Our home is in the Long Meadow division and although we aren't located on a canal, there are canals throughout Rotonda. We are about fifteen minutes to Englewood Beach. There are also several golf courses in Rotonda. Although our neighbors have really young children, there aren't a whole lot of young families that live here so keep that in mind if you look here.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Another Marylander fleeing the People's Republic of Maryland?

Born01930 and TamRe both have good tips about flood zones and house elevations (and thus flood insurance costs).

When you say you "prefer a development on a canal", is that to say you want canal front of just easy water access?

Houses generally are less expensive when they are non-water front. There are several nice county parks in the area with boat ramps if you're looking for simply water access. That being said, you should be able to find a nice place on a canal within your budget. I agree with HarborRat; look south of Edgewater. But at the same time, don't discount the lower portion (but north of the Edgewater bridge) of the Pellum waterway.

If you are looking for canal front, some things to ask about: Are there bridges between your location and open water and what is their height? How long does it take to get to open water (the canals are minimum wake zones)? Others will probably chime in with suggestions too, as I'm a newbe here myself, having fled the Mid-Atlantic a year ago this month.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 AM

31 posts, read 59,890 times
I learnt the other day that if you are a 'homestead' then your flood insurance will not be as high as a snow bird. Hope that turns out to be the case.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbell View Post
I learnt the other day that if you are a 'homestead' then your flood insurance will not be as high as a snow bird. Hope that turns out to be the case.
I believe you meant to say homeowner's insurance, NOT flood, is lower if you're a full time occupant. Fire and other risks are higher if the home is only occupied part time. So for 2nd and seasonal homes, the premiums are higher.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Another Marylander fleeing the People's Republic of Maryland?
Ah yes..like us..leaving the O'Malleyland...... welcome !

Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born01930 View Post
Call me weird (many do) but I love the trash pick up service here...no stickers to buy, no funny colored bags, getting rid of yard debris is a breeze.
back in new Hampshire we had to pay for weekly pick up privately or ruck the trash to the dump.
I used to live in west county and for a time we had twice a week pick up that was nice for those time I forgot one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte