Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times

Advertisements

Ok, wife and I get in the pool a few nights ago. While in the pool, the pool light goes out. OK, hey, I got a degree in electronics plus my Military job deals with electronics. Piece of cake. I check the transformer...all good. 120 VAC switched, with 12 VAC out to conduit at pool. So, go to pull light out of pool to change bulb. Guess what? The contractors who installed it, cut the wire too short. I was able to,loosen clamp in conduit box and pull enough wire out to get light about 2 inches above waterline. Take front clamp and lens off. Yup, bulbs blown...but the epoxy at bottom is leaking.....letting water inside. So, now I need a new lamp assembly. Oh great, more money and another run to a pool retailer. All this and I'm leaving for Fort Sill, OK today and the wife WANTS a pool light (you married guys get my drift).

Ok, so I figure I'm going to go green like I did in the house and get a LED Multi color light assembly. I get my lamp assembly part number and using the Internet ... google, not TamRE....I find the proper Pentair LED lamp assembly. Amazon has it for $470...guess what..I'm a prime member and cold get it in two days wit FREE shipping. Guess what...I need it today! Ok, so I call a pool retailer that has a distribution site across the street. They have it and will walk over and get it for me. Guess what THEIR MSRP retail price is?....go ahead...guess.....aw c'mon ... Give it a try. What?....your thinking 20-30% more than Amazon?....so was I. That wild be about $650 at most. WRONG!....they wanted $1299! OMG, I was wondering if that came with fries. Needless to say, I drive down there (remember I needed it today). I show him the online pricing...after 20 minutes of negotiating, advising him I would prefer to support local brink and mortar establishments....but $800 over Internet price is a "little" ridiculous. He finally comes down to $780.

Oh well, guess that's the way the dollar .. I mean $780 dollars roll.

So, hope I didn't bore anyone with my vent. Some business owners wonder why Amazon or Internet has taken off. I cold love with 20-30% or so..but 100-110 %?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
You must be wrong. Our state leaders want an internet sales tax because it's the "no tax" on internet sales that makes local businesses unable to compete with Amazon and the like. They seem to ignore the exuberant prices some brick-and-mortar stores charge that come into play.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 AM

180 posts, read 450,542 times
Default High prices

After moving here from California, I found prices to be very high and selection very poor....for almost everything. I've never seen anywhere in the US that has so little competition for groceries. (I find that baffling and I'll bet the folks at Publix realize that, too.) Groceries are a good example but the same holds true almost 'across the board'.

I've gotten to know my UPS driver better than I know some of my relatives!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I think my wife would get by with a flashlight for a couple days. ;-)

Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Wow, so you paid over $300 MORE just to have it that day, all because your wife "wanted" it now?!?!?!? I would've put my foot down and said DEAL WITH IT HONEY. And yes, I am married, and my wife would kill me if I needlessly wasted money like that. Glad you were able to talk them down a bit though.
When we built our pool just over 2yrs ago, the multicolor LED light option was a $550 upgrade (we didn't go for it), so yeah, the place you went is a total ripoff. Please list their name so I know to never patronize them.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM

137 posts, read 331,233 times
as for food price comparisons....I usually shop at the Publix and Toledo and Price. But one day a couple weeks ago I found myself at the Cocoplum plaza on 41 and stopped in the Publix there. I noted that the prices on selected items were less at that Publix vs. the one at Toledo-Price. This is because the Publix at Cocoplum is less than 1 mile from the Walmart, whereas the one at Toledo-Price has no competition right nearby. So competition is good because it means lower prices for us as consumers. And where there is no immediate competition, be prepared for price gouging. Same is true for the gas stations on Toledo which are much more expensive than the gas stations on 41.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Wow, so you paid over $300 MORE just to have it that day, all because your wife "wanted" it now?!?!?!? I would've put my foot down and said DEAL WITH IT HONEY. And yes, I am married, and my wife would kill me if I needlessly wasted money like that. Glad you were able to talk them down a bit though.
When we built our pool just over 2yrs ago, the multicolor LED light option was a $550 upgrade (we didn't go for it), so yeah, the place you went is a total ripoff. Please list their name so I know to never patronize them.
Pinch-A-Penny off Enterprise. I called Leslie and Sparkle Brite. Both of them did not have it and told me they had to order it. Pinch-A-Penny was the only one that said their distributor was across the street and they had many if them in stock.

What can I say Harbor Hopper, it was a small price to pay for her and my son to be happy. Trust me, Amazon loves me and if it wasn't for the urgency, I would have told Pinch to pound sand.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM

180 posts, read 450,542 times
Default I'm getting pretty good at it

I make it a point to never, ever tell another man how to deal with his wife. After 18 years, I'm still learning how to deal with my own but.......so far, so good.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

I just can't imagine someone not being able to deal with not having a stinkin pool light for a few days. Amazing.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
I make it a point to never, ever tell another man how to deal with his wife.
I didn't, but good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte