Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 PM

67 posts, read 114,655 times

Advertisements

Oh My...My husband has been planting all sorts of flowers around our new home....Mexican petunias white ones and purple ones...and hibiscus bushes...just on and on....well he looks outside and there is Bugs Bunny EATING ALL THE FLOWERS!!!!!! Oh boy...Hubbie is PISSED OFF!!!! What can I do to get rid of Bugs Bunny??? Or at least deter him from eating our flowers or he will wind up as Rabbit Stew!!!! HELP!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 PM

142 posts, read 204,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2HI View Post
Oh My...My husband has been planting all sorts of flowers around our new home....Mexican petunias white ones and purple ones...and hibiscus bushes...just on and on....well he looks outside and there is Bugs Bunny EATING ALL THE FLOWERS!!!!!! Oh boy...Hubbie is PISSED OFF!!!! What can I do to get rid of Bugs Bunny??? Or at least deter him from eating our flowers or he will wind up as Rabbit Stew!!!! HELP!!!!!

Poor Bugs!.My Mom lives in PGI and had a Mamma rabbit digging a burrow right next to her front door under a bush. They are all around over there when I visit her. I don't know what you could do. Maybe there's someone that you can call that sets those cage like traps (non harmful) like they do to catch feral cats. Back home in Kure Beach, NC our island was overpopulated with feral cats...people would bring them to the island and dump them.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
I've seen rabbits around here too, but there are enough weeds in the lawn for them to go after those, I think, that or they aren't crazy about the plants in the yard.

We've got an armadillo or two that's been digging some pretty decent size holes in the yard. DH and I spotted one yesterday who was headed underneath a bougainvilla next to the house, where he'd previously dug up a great big hole close to the roots, and I've filled in twice, and put some big heavy rocks around it.

DH and I chased that dumb thing across the yard- those things are wierd, they stop and look at you, and don't run very fast. We don't run that fast either, but I'm not sure what we'd do with it if we caught it!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM

142 posts, read 204,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've seen rabbits around here too, but there are enough weeds in the lawn for them to go after those, I think, that or they aren't crazy about the plants in the yard.

We've got an armadillo or two that's been digging some pretty decent size holes in the yard. DH and I spotted one yesterday who was headed underneath a bougainvilla next to the house, where he'd previously dug up a great big hole close to the roots, and I've filled in twice, and put some big heavy rocks around it.

DH and I chased that dumb thing across the yard- those things are wierd, they stop and look at you, and don't run very fast. We don't run that fast either, but I'm not sure what we'd do with it if we caught it!

I think I would swoon if an armadillo came close to me (doing my best "Scarlett O'Hara" imitation...my hand on my brow and fanning my hanky)

Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
The bobcats eat the rabbits and then let them repopulate before coming back to the area. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Give it a few weeks, you will forget all about the rabbits and will be talking about the cats

Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2HI View Post
Hubbie is on the right track, but instead of P*SSED OFF, P*SS ON. We used fox urine sprayed on plants to deter them and deer in the north...don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here too. Unless there are no foxes and the smell is foreign to them and they just think it's a smelly salad dressing. Word of caution; be very careful with it and don't spill any on yourself. Hopefully I need not say any more!
Tractor Supply has some different animal repellants available too. The only problem I see right now is all the rains. They may just wash away any repellant you put down.
If that doesn't work, let me know. I'd love to try some rabbit on the Big Green Egg!

Last edited by MikMal; 07-19-2013 at 06:25 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
A fence with no holes will keep them out. We have rabbits all over too. My dog chases them out of the yard. We have a white PVC fence but one side fence is just picket and the rabbits come through there. They come out at night and eat stuff in my yard. My neighbor has a garden and had to put a fence around it.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,439 times
That is to bad about your flowers. We had an extra car outside our garage and when I went to start it I got nothing. I lifted the hood and there sat a bunny chewing on my wiring. I had to rewire a lot of my cars wiring. One other time I drove to the gas station and went to check the oil and the rabbit jumped out at me from the engine. I don't know who was more shocked me or the rabbit. At least that rabbit never came back to my house or truck again. The rabbits seam to like my truck a lot.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
That is to bad about your flowers. We had an extra car outside our garage and when I went to start it I got nothing. I lifted the hood and there sat a bunny chewing on my wiring. I had to rewire a lot of my cars wiring. One other time I drove to the gas station and went to check the oil and the rabbit jumped out at me from the engine. I don't know who was more shocked me or the rabbit. At least that rabbit never came back to my house or truck again. The rabbits seam to like my truck a lot.
Amazing on how critters love to eat cars' wiring. When I worked in Wash. D.C., I had a co-worker's car wiring destroyed by rats. I myself had a strange smell one morning driving home from work. As I drove through a neighborhood I smelled what I thought was burned toast, figuring someone burned their breakfast. But the smell never left my car; I'd open the windows but the smell would come back once they were closed. When I got home I lifted the hood to find a piece of pizza slice on my exhaust manifold. My guess is a rat carried it up there and was eating when I started the car and began driving. At least he was eating some dumpster pizza and not my car!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Amazing on how critters love to eat cars' wiring. When I worked in Wash. D.C., I had a co-worker's car wiring destroyed by rats. I myself had a strange smell one morning driving home from work. As I drove through a neighborhood I smelled what I thought was burned toast, figuring someone burned their breakfast. But the smell never left my car; I'd open the windows but the smell would come back once they were closed. When I got home I lifted the hood to find a piece of pizza slice on my exhaust manifold. My guess is a rat carried it up there and was eating when I started the car and began driving. At least he was eating some dumpster pizza and not my car!
LOL, maybe he had that pizza delivered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte