Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 PM

93 posts, read 185,911 times

Advertisements

I have been looking online at Zillow and Trulia and have seen a lot of info on the homes in the area. But when I go on Trulia and scroll down to the comparable map it also has a crime field. When I click on the crime map on a house I am looking at it shows a lot of crime and it is mostly within the last month. This happens in the 200k to 325k price range. Has anyone else noticed it? Is this because of good neighborhood watches reporting stuff to the police? This does concern we a little, and I am trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance for your help. Clint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Your best source for local crime is not Zillow or Trulia, it is the local Sherrif's Department. You can go here to find the local crime statistics. You will find that Charlotte County, FL has very low crime. Also, Zillow and Trulia are not your best sources for searching for homes. They are not updated like the MLS is.

Charlotte County Sheriff's Department Crime Statistics - Charlotte County Sheriff's Office Home
Click on the crime statistics button and then you can search by map and reports.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
I think Trulia and Zillow are good for seeing what's out there as far houses for sale goes, but I have no trust in any other info they give, be it crime stats or "Zestimates".

Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
https://www.crimereports.com/

Crime Reports is a good resource for crimes and sex offender mapping.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:46 PM

142 posts, read 204,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
https://www.crimereports.com/

Crime Reports is a good resource for crimes and sex offender mapping.

Unbelievable what this map shows!!!! Thanks for posting the link. PS...I didn't see my neighbor there.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 AM

67 posts, read 100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea.lass View Post
Unbelievable what this map shows!!!! Thanks for posting the link. PS...I didn't see my neighbor there.
'Unbelievable' is kind of an understatement. Just typed in the zip code (34288) for where we are looking for homes. Can not believe the amount of sex offenders! Moved the map up the coast to Sarasota, same thing. Is this part of Florida a haven for sex offenders? Can somebody shed some light on this? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM

93 posts, read 185,911 times
Thanks for the info. Trulia gets their stats from www.spotcrime.com and www.crimereports.com, so they should be close to what is real. I will also check out the sheriffs website. If it is the same one I looked at a few months ago they keep info and mug shots for a very long time. This may be offensive to some after what happened in Sanford but does anyone have any info for the PC/PG areas. thanks Clint

Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 AM

60 posts, read 111,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I think Trulia and Zillow are good for seeing what's out there as far houses for sale goes, but I have no trust in any other info they give, be it crime stats or "Zestimates".
Zillow says that I can get $1,000 per month for my little (900 sq ft) POS in Portland, there is no way I could get anywhere close to that for that house even if it was all updated. I think Zillow is more for "Dreaming"

Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM

60 posts, read 111,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver567 View Post
'Unbelievable' is kind of an understatement. Just typed in the zip code (34288) for where we are looking for homes. Can not believe the amount of sex offenders! Moved the map up the coast to Sarasota, same thing. Is this part of Florida a haven for sex offenders? Can somebody shed some light on this? Thanks.
You know I had this same concern before we moved down here from Portland Oregon, which has gone down hill in the last few years, and I think what it is is that they actually register here whereas in the larger states they can get lost in the crowd and just don't check in.

Our little neighborhood is really comfortable, the neighbors are nice and the local Sheriff stopped by while we were moving in to say "Hi" and let us know who was in charge of the local Neighborhood watch and how to get a hold of him if we needed him. I feel very safe and I think you will too.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Before we rented I checked out the sex offender registry - surprised there are so many sickos in FLA.

I am glad an ex cop lives next door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: