Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 03:05 PM

67 posts, read 114,655 times

Advertisements

This house that we just bought has a Bose speaker system throughout the house..I had asked the previous owner how the system works and she said she didn't know but she took the receiver for her son ...so now we have Bose speakers that work with the radio throughout the house but cant get the tv to work with it because she took the receiver....Does anyone know anything about these kinds of systems? I would pay for someone to come and check it out and see if they can get it working or let me know what "Receiver" I need to buy to get it going...I have an old ONKYO receiver but I don't think it will work with this Bose system...and I don't know enough about electronics to know whether it would work or not.....Anyone interested in making a couple bucks to check this out and see if they can get this working with my TV set?? lease let me know...THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM

137 posts, read 331,284 times
I had one and it worked with an Onkyo receiver. It may just be that your particular receiver isn't set up for that. Your best bet is to head over to Best Buy and explain to them your situation, they should be able to hook you up with a receiver that would work.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
If you Google it, they give directions for hooking up an Onkyo receiver to a Bose speaker system. If you don't want to tackle it yourself, I also suggest Best Buy. They have always been helpful.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Wish it was that easy!!..I don't have a clue what all these wires are for ....... there is so much stuff coming out of the wall I don't know what goes to what....All different kinds of wires...soe are cables some are speaker wires but they say pool on them (I guess that's for the bose out on the lanai (pool area) then theres wires that look like phone adapter wires....just mind boggling...No Electronic Geeks out there???...This is my last ditch effort..Just thought there would be someone out there that has a bose system that could look at mine and tell me what I need and what all these wires are for.......Ok Thanks for the responses!!! Appreciate your comments......

Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
years ago I did an indoor swimming pool refurb and the guy had a mega Bose system installed....it was so powerful he couldn't have it at full blast in case it blew out the glass !!! IMO Bose is THE no 1.....persevere with it

every time I walk into Sams or best buy I have a play with the systems they have, one day I am gonna see if Mrs Sunshine notices my sneaky upgrade :-)

Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM

413 posts, read 828,343 times
I would make a guess that the ones that look like a phone are cat 5, what they are for maybe computer connection to the receiver. As for the speaker wires I would set up your amp and hook one wire up at a time to id the location of the speaker and mark them, then depending on how your receiver is setup you can decide how you want to hook them up i.e. system A = lanai B = living room so forth and so on.
Or as suggested best buy will send out the geek squad if you buy a receiver, might offer to hook up your receiver for a fee.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies...its appreciated...

Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
I agree with Salty Dog's post. I have a system that uses Cat-5 wire for both controls and the speakers.

Each zone should have it's own controller, whether it be a simple on/off & volume or something more elaborate, such as a multi-source controller. That's probably what your Cat-5 wires are for (volume control). Since you have both speaker wires and what sounds like Cat-5, the system may be set up for a digital system that requires both a control unit and source(s) such as a receiver, CD, 8-track player, whatever. My system controls 12 zones with 6 different sources, each one operated independently from the other so that you can listen to, for example, the radio in one room, XM Radio in another, CDs in yet another, etc. The electronics closet is an absolute mess of wires!

BTW, if the speaker system needs a propitiatory control unit to function, check your contract and make sure that the electronics weren't supposed to convey with the house. A receiver is one thing but a control unit (if that's what's needed) may be something different. Maybe TamRe can give some input on that.

Drop me a PM if you don't get it up and running. I'll be back in PC sometime early-to-mid Sept. and can look at it.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I agree with Salty Dog's post.....
Opps. My bad. Make that Salty Dave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte