Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 10,016 times

Advertisements

My husband has the opportunity to transfer with his job I don't, so i Have questions. I am wondering this a very racist area, we are a mixed couple. Are jobs hard to find? Is it really as good as every makes it sounds?How would my kid do in school being mixed? Thanks for the feedback. We are in our 40's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times
We have mixed race couples all over the place, no one seems to give a second look. Your child should be just fine in school. Jobs? Depends on what field. If you are in the health care field you have a better shot at finding work from what I've seen and read.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the response, Are the schools decent? Customer Service is my specialty, any big call centers in the area that you know of?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
We are all mixed up here! Rum and Coke, Scotch and Water, Lime Juice and Tequila, You name it - we like it!
No worries!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 AM

lol thanks. I have been to englewood and loved it, does this town compare?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Welcome to the site - lots of great help and posters here.

Yeah, there are good schools down here, you need to pick and choose sometimes, depending on the exact area you land.

Big and Tall are always viewed a problem. I'm 6'-5" and finding clothes is always a problem, but yeah, there are big and tall stores around.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM

137 posts, read 331,433 times
Port Charlotte was developed in the 1950's by General Development Corp and thus does not have the legacy of a once segregated south as you might find in the older cities such as Sarasota, Bradenton, Punta Gorda, so there are no neighborhoods in PC that are specifically this or that group of people. Instead what you'll find are that some sections are older (older houses, built in the 50's and 60's) and some that are newer.

Make sure that whoever you ultimately choose as a Realtor helps to educate you about the issues you have here, versus in CT. Such as, flood zones. AE is bad and X is good. A home in AE will require flood insurance whereas X will not. There was just a thread on here about someone buying a home and THEN finding out that they bought in a flood zone. Better to know about this kind of stuff before you make an offer on anything. Also, insurance is greatly affected by the age of home, type of construction, whether any updates (on older homes) were done, such as windows, roof, etc., and roof style (gable vs. hip). I wrote an article about this issue on my blog called "The Price of Paradise" to help inform potential homebuyers about this.

As for jobs, I'll agree with what NPhomeowner just wrote. If you are in health care, no problem. If you are not in health care, not so easy.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindysassy View Post
lol thanks. I have been to englewood and loved it, does this town compare?
All the towns in SWFL are slightly different, but have a lot of similarities. Englewood has a couple nice beaches near buy and some nice restaurants too. I live in PGI, its part of Punta Gorda, a smallish, yet very cool historic little town, that has a lot to offer. PG and PGI have a lot of new buildings and things because Hurricane Charley not so neatly removed many older buildings. Englewood has a lot of cool south west florida buildings - that largely grew as a fishing town - not unlike a lot of places down here.

Lots to do down here if you like doing things outdoors.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Is it hard to find a rental with a pool? What kind of bugs?and is it less humid in this area?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times
Rentals with pools seem to be available, at least here in North Port. Yes it is humid but if you have a pool it's not a big deal, you learn how to pace yourself like doing yard work early mornings or late evenings. Anyone that tells you it's not humid in the summer is lying. We have been here a little over two years and are getting used to it. If you are closer to the beaches you have more of a breeze. Bugs? Yep they are here but if you have your home sprayed quarterly they aren't an issue either. You have to watch out for fire ants in your yard and treat those according. Florida for sure has a learning curve to it but you learn quick. When we first moved here I would scream for hubby to get the bug, now I am a bug killer, none get out alive. I have to say though, we have not had a roach or spider in the house in a year and a half.

You wanted to know what kinds of bugs? Some call them palmetto bugs (fancy name for huge roach), spiders of all different types. Occasional scorpions which are really small and won't kill you, fire ants and numerous other run of the mill bugs. There are snakes but mostly good ones, if you'll live in a wooded area you'll have armidillos and opossums and raccoons visit. We even have a bobcat that comes around once in a while. Of course birds too numerous to mention, owls and squirrels. I look at my back yard as a nature preserve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte