Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,433,139 times

Advertisements

Got hit by lightning yesterday and lost a lot of electronics. Insurance wants a technician to come in and make a report for what is repairable and what needs to be replaced. Any recomendations on who in the area does this sort of thing would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,540,590 times
We lost our stereo in the garage and our lamp post light yesterday with a lightening strike. And the stereo was on a surge protector. For electronics, you can maybe get someone from Best Buy to look at it. Not sure who else does that sort of thing in the area.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,144,365 times
we got our electrician to install a protector in the garage a couple of years ago -cost around $250 IIRC. it has a lifetime replacement guarantee for any appliances if it fails, might be worth considering

Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,540,590 times
We have the FPL power surge protection, but it doesn't work on all electronics.
FPL Group | Power Surge Protection

Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,370,914 times
We have the FPL surge protection but I believe it covers motor driven items only. Electronics are not covered.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
We have the FPL surge protection but I believe it covers motor driven items only. Electronics are not covered.
EXACTLY ! Electronics are NOT covered anyway, homeowners insurance covers everything, just need to have someone pronounce the stuff DEAD. Glad to pay for the estimate or appraisal of loss.

Still looking for recommendations. ANYONE?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
EXACTLY ! Electronics are NOT covered anyway, homeowners insurance covers everything, just need to have someone pronounce the stuff DEAD. Glad to pay for the estimate or appraisal of loss.

Still looking for recommendations. ANYONE?
Edward,

I do electronics repair as a hobby (it's one of the things I do for the Military). Problem nowadays, is it is cheaper to replace than to pay the diagnostic charge, then the outrageous parts cost, then installation.

You may find someone or some shop looking online...good luck

Old 09-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Found a place quick response for home service call. Gulfside Electronics Port Charlotte 941 625-1104
Case Closed thanks.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:58 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,783,220 times
a try to always unplug my laptop charger in the morning due to pl storms before I get home . I wonder if I unplugged a tv if damaged could come in the cable wire?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,022,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
a try to always unplug my laptop charger in the morning due to pl storms before I get home . I wonder if I unplugged a tv if damaged could come in the cable wire?
You shouldn't need to unplug a laptop, the power supply pack should suppress any electric spikes...but if it makes you feel safer go ahead.

Spikes can come through the cable wire, but normally the cable box will take most of the surge, if you have one. Any good surge protector strip should have coax protection on it too, but to be honest those strips don't work very well for lightning strikes. If you use an HDMI cable from your cable box to your TV, you don't need the coax from the box to the TV also, so leave it out. The HDMI cable is probably less likely to transmit the surge.

I have found some of the houses down here were very badly grounded when built. On my own home I found NO grounding rods at all, just a bond wire from the electric meter to a copper hose bib (same with the cable wire ground),,,,,,,,well...my house was converted to cpvc plumbing many years ago, and that copper pipe went nowhere after entering the house. So I had NO grounding whatsoever, very dangerous. I found that out my first month here when my TV blew from a power flicker.

I've fixed many TV's after they got struck by lightning. Normally it takes about $10 worth of capacitors and maybe a fuse or two. But a repairman might charge a couple hundred in labor as it's not a DIY project for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte