Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 PM

697 posts, read 1,163,404 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

If all goes well tomorrow, I might be going out this weekend on my new boat. I was looking online at teh public boat ramps around and was wondering if the El Jobean Public Park would be the best ramp to utilize if I wanted to come north on Stump Pass (swinging south through Charlotte Harbor and then hooking up)...heading up toward Turtle Beach?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 02:58 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,490,803 times
Congratulations on the new boat. I sent you some information on boating. Have a great time!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:27 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,011 times
No, if you want to access Stump pass or anywhere along the intercoastal, you do not want to launch from El Jobean. If you did, the trip around the Cape Haze Peninsula, via the Myakka River, would be really long.

Instead, consider launching from Ainger Creek or Placida Park.

By the way, did you know you can buy an annually pass from the Charlotte County tax collector that will give you unlimited parking at all 10 Charlotte County boat ramp and beaches for a year for about $58? It beats the kiosks at 75 cents an hour, as long as you plan on using it 10 or more times a year. The catch is you can't use it on more than one vehicle during the year, as it must be mounted to the inside passenger windshield and ou can't transfer it if you sell your vehicle.

Have fun and bring twice as much drinking water as you think you will drink.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
No, if you want to access Stump pass or anywhere along the intercoastal, you do not want to launch from El Jobean. If you did, the trip around the Cape Haze Peninsula, via the Myakka River, would be really long.

Instead, consider launching from Ainger Creek or Placida Park.

By the way, did you know you can buy an annually pass from the Charlotte County tax collector that will give you unlimited parking at all 10 Charlotte County boat ramp and beaches for a year for about $58? It beats the kiosks at 75 cents an hour, as long as you plan on using it 10 or more times a year. The catch is you can't use it on more than one vehicle during the year, as it must be mounted to the inside passenger windshield and ou can't transfer it if you sell your vehicle.

Have fun and bring twice as much drinking water as you think you will drink.
Messing Around,

Thanks for the info...either one of those you would recommend over the other (number of parking spots..size..ease of launch...etc)I did not know about the parking pass. I have to goto the DMV/Tax Collector on Murdock next week...can I get it there?

Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 AM

5,102 posts, read 4,863,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
....you can buy an annually pass from the Charlotte County tax collector that will give you unlimited parking at all 10 Charlotte County boat ramp and beaches for a year for about $58........
Do you know if the pass is good for the calendar year or for one year from the date of purchase?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,958,717 times
For Stumps Pass, by far the best ramp is Indian Mound in Englewood. It's on the Sarasota Co. side so parking is FREE. The ramp has plenty of dock space and parking. Ainger Creek is crappy, with only ONE ramp, which gets backed up frequently. We launch at Indian Mound every weekend to go to Stumps. By far our favorite ramp

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
For Stumps Pass, by far the best ramp is Indian Mound in Englewood. It's on the Sarasota Co. side so parking is FREE. The ramp has plenty of dock space and parking. Ainger Creek is crappy, with only ONE ramp, which gets backed up frequently. We launch at Indian Mound every weekend to go to Stumps. By far our favorite ramp
I used to live in Englewood...near 776 & Dearborn. We used to launch at Manasota Key...is Indian Mound better?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,011 times
Yes, the pass is valid for 12 months regardless of month purchased...yes you can get it from the Tax Collector/MVD counter in Murdock. That's where I got mine.

Placida park has 3 ramps, lots of parking and a grass overflow lot. I thinks it's pretty convenient.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks...got the boat this afternoon....pic in the trailer parts thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,765,923 times
Indian Mound is free also in sarasotta county and in the middle if you go south to stump pass or north to turtle beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte