Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 PM

180 posts, read 450,542 times

Advertisements

I live on 168 feet of waterfront property and I don't have flood insurance. I would, if I thought it would prevent my property from flooding...but it wouldn't. Life involves a certain amount of risk tolerance and I'm comfortable and able to handle it. Do what's best for your own situation and don't try to figure out what anyone else should do. You will be happier and better off if you do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
I live on 168 feet of waterfront property and I don't have flood insurance. I would, if I thought it would prevent my property from flooding...but it wouldn't. .
Insurance is setup to compensate you if damages occur. FEMA's flood related building requirements, however, are setup to prevent flooding of a particular building or to mitigate damages if floods occur. Such as building to specific heights/elevations so that floods won't wipe out the entire structure or so flood waters don't make it inside the building.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Because of the redrawing of the zones, we have friends in VE areas in coastal northeast, who haven't seen a lick of water in decades, but insurance premiums going up 5x. It's real and it happens. Chubb and AIG, the bigger and more comprehensive coverage insurers in the region, are going thru the roof with premium increases.

For those with no mortgages who want to flip FEMA the bird, that's great. I would do the same if I could. But for a great many folks, including ourselves, we're at the whim of BFE mapping going whatever way the political/economic wind blows. Flood insurance is our #1 issue in allowing us to move forward, or not, with seriously considering waterfront property purchase in PG.

What reputable companies offer coverage in PG and what have been your experiences with hazard & flood claims, if any?

Very helpful & informative thread here. Thanks for all the insightful commentary.

Check into Lloyd's Of London. I hear they are insuring flood prone properties in Florida and half the cost of Fema companies.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Check into Lloyd's Of London. I hear they are insuring flood prone properties in Florida and half the cost of Fema companies.
But, will mortgage lenders accept LOL in lieu of a FEMA backed policy?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times
That's a good question. Doubtful if it's conforming (& getting sold to the agencies) and coming from a national bank or mortgage lender. Local lender might be more willing to take the risk on and insure separately. In fact, if anyone works at a local bank, that could be a nice business for you to grab market share, so long as you're holding on balance sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
But, will mortgage lenders accept LOL in lieu of a FEMA backed policy?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that Lloyds of London insures against flood damage. I have two friends in Miami who dropped their homeowner's coverage when it became prohibitively expensive ( both over $12,000 annually and neither are close to the water). They tell me that their policies do not cover windstorm or flood damage, but mainly liability, along with theft and fire damage. Neither of them have mortgages so that was not an issue.

Perhaps there are other policies that include more coverage with LOL, but one would have to contact them to see what is available, or if they have policies that might be acceptable to mortgage holders if that was an issue.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:41 AM

191 posts, read 299,642 times
Quote:

If that's true, then I would think Loyd's will be selling a lot of policies soon.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm not sure that Lloyds of London insures against flood damage. I have two friends in Miami who dropped their homeowner's coverage when it became prohibitively expensive ( both over $12,000 annually and neither are close to the water). They tell me that their policies do not cover windstorm or flood damage, but mainly liability, along with theft and fire damage. Neither of them have mortgages so that was not an issue.

Perhaps there are other policies that include more coverage with LOL, but one would have to contact them to see what is available, or if they have policies that might be acceptable to mortgage holders if that was an issue.
I meant to say these two friends dropped their homeowner's insurance policies with either Citizens or Security First, and got policies with Lloyds of London, which in their cases cover liability, theft and fire losses.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:40 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I meant to say these two friends dropped their homeowner's insurance policies with either Citizens or Security First, and got policies with Lloyds of London, which in their cases cover liability, theft and fire losses.
I believe Lloyd's has always offered flood insurance coverage but because FEMA insurance has always been so cheap they were not able to compete. Now that the FEMA rates have risen they feel they can come in at a price lower than FEMA and make a profit.

I would imagine that the Lloyd's pricing will be lower than FEMA but still higher than FEMA was before the increases

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte