Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:34 PM

93 posts, read 185,839 times

Advertisements

Has anyone purchased the canal chart for the area from www.waterproof charts.com in Punta Gorda? Seems like the way to go if you are a buying a house or just interested in the canal system. I believe the chart that covers this area is chart #03E. It is $26.95 (online price) but says it shows "sailboat" canals and "powerboat" canals as well, plus other stuff. I am going by Monday morning and check it out. This will be handy for me to have when I go back home and get real estate updates from my agent. So tell me if you think one would be helpful to you even if you are not looking for a house. thanks Clint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:46 PM

180 posts, read 450,328 times
Default Map

I'm sure it's really nice. I have a couple that came from Re-Max and Five Star realties. I look at them often and they've always shown me everything that I was interested in knowing. I'd be interested in having one like you have and I would also like to have a really good, detailed map of this part of Florida.

Last edited by chuckycheese; 10-05-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 01:51 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,359 times
"Waterproof Charts" is probably the best chart company out there, and I used them when I was up in NJ all the time. After moving here I was surprised to find they were located in PG.

I have about 30 of their charts, maybe 6 of them are for SWF. Most of the local ones I bought at Walmart for $15 a piece. They have a good selection right near the gun counter. The second hand store on 41 has a bunch of them too very cheap, but the local ones are always sold first of course, so good luck.

I guess it could help buying a house...if that is what you are asking? Google Earth/Maps will give you most of the same info though as far as bridges and "sailboat water". Sailboat water just means no bridges, it does not necessarily mean the water is deep enough to dock a sailboat with a 5 or 6 foot keel. For that info your best bet is to ask here.

For me the charts are a great way to learn the area for fishing. Finding holes, wrecks, reefs and drop offs. I like to study the maps the night before a fishing trip over a few beers....but I rarely bring the maps on the boat anymore. Cell phone apps and updatable chart plotters are on the verge of making the roll-up map obsolete. I still like to look at the map while drinking with my fishing partners the night before...you just can't do that with a 5 inch screen.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:41 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,941,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
....... I like to study the maps the night before a fishing trip over a few beers....but I rarely bring the maps on the boat anymore...... .
I like to study the maps the night before a fishing trip over a few beers too, but I rarely bring the maps...just the beer!

Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I will check out Walmart today. As discussed here before I want to avoid a long run to open water and think this may help me. Another question I have is about no wake zones which I think are a great idea, but if I want to be 10-15 minutes to open water how far up a canal can I be? Ah, charts and beer they should call them beer proof charts instead of waterproof. thanks again Clint

Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,941,748 times
I believe all canals are minimum wake zones, including waterway sections that pass through mangroves with no houses such as Lewes Creek (Between Ackerman Canal and Alligator Bay). Figure minimum wake speed may be 4-6 MPH, a 10-15 minute to open water distance probably means you'll want to be within a mile or so.
You can check out some distances on Google Maps using a distance calculator.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 AM

180 posts, read 450,328 times
Default Time out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiedog View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I will check out Walmart today. As discussed here before I want to avoid a long run to open water and think this may help me. Another question I have is about no wake zones which I think are a great idea, but if I want to be 10-15 minutes to open water how far up a canal can I be? Ah, charts and beer they should call them beer proof charts instead of waterproof. thanks again Clint
Once you have good, solid information as to how long it takes to get out from the canal by several street intersections in different areas, you can figure out any others rather easily. If you have any spot in mind, tell us where it is and I'm sure we can give you a very good idea of the time involved.

As the HarborRat said, it's the bridges (or lack of) that will indicate whether you can take a sail or a motor. There are a number of places where it's fairly practical to go one way with a sail boat or 2 ways with a motor boat.

Either type of boat can easily accommodate a cooler full of beer!

Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,769 times
That's good advice. I'm 2.6 miles from throttle up at the beach complex and it takes me 35 minutes to get out.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:28 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,452 times
just under a mile takes 6 minutes from edgewater to the beach
have a ride
100 2058 - YouTube

Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Well I picked up the canal chart this afternoon. It shows sailboat/motorboat and freshwater canals in different colors. It also has boat ramps and marked channel info. I am fairly happy with it but it needs heavier lamination. If anyone knows a place here to re-laminate it let me know. I can't see this holding up to salt water much less beer. If you pay in cash its $25. OTD. I did check Walmart and no go there. Thanks for the updates on riding time out of the canals. MS I figured it may take you that long, I am trying to stay under 1.5 miles to up on plane water. Mike I watched some of your videos, looks like you are in a very wide canal so you may be able to run a little faster than it a narrow canal. I don't know if that is right but it looked to me like it. I really like your boat. It looks like it is a deeper V than what I want so maybe I will be ok. thanks again for the help. Clint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte