Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:16 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times

Advertisements

Three Alligator Attacks in Three Days of July 2017

A 71-year-old woman was attacked by a 10-foot alligator while gardening behind her San Carlos Park home Sunday evening, fire officials said.

It happened inside the Shadow Wood Preserve community shortly before 6 p.m. at a residence in the 18000 block of Cypress Haven Drive.

Fire officials said the victim was gardening behind her home about 20 feet from the water when the gator came from behind and attacked her.

Emergency crews say the woman was bitten on her leg.

Bystanders applied pressure to her injuries until paramedics arrived and flew her to the hospital as a trauma alert. Paramedics said the woman was awake and alert.

The alligator was captured by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Three alligator attacks in three days

The incident marks the third alligator attack in three days in Southwest Florida.

On Friday, a man diving for golf balls at a Charlotte County golf course was attacked, and a young boy was bitten on his ankle while swimming in the peace river Saturday.

"Instances like this are very rare," said Brian Norris with the FWC. "It is odd that there have been so many in a short period of time."

Norris said this activity could be sparked by the fact that female alligators lay their eggs during this time in the summer.

Another reason could be humans feeding the reptiles. He said the alligators get comfortable and assimilate humans with food.

Norris adds that the increase of rain could not be helping either. That is because during the drought alligators get condensed and can't move very far.

See Video
71-year-old woman latest victim in SWFL alligator attacks - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 04:25 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Seems like they're hungry. Going to have to strap my gun on in the backyard.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:32 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Default Florida sees surge in alligator attacks

NBC-2 TV News
By Devin Turk,

There have been a record-breaking number of alligator encounters in the sunshine state, including four attacks in just the last 11 days.

Wildlife experts said the uptick is partially because alligators are especially active this time of year.

"Unusually hot weather, mating season, from no water to overflowing... so they're everywhere," said Ray Simonsen, an alligator trapper.

While gators prefer freshwater, kayakers like Chris Boland said they've seen gators in unexpected places this summer.

"In the rainy season, there's more freshwater that kind of creeps out closer to the ocean, the gators do follow that to some extent," said Boland.

State wildlife officers said 17 people have been bitten by alligators so far this year, an increase from the seven attacks last year.

Nine of the 17 cases were provoked by people trying to feed, touch, or handle them -- which is illegal under state law.

"People habituate the animal, and they lose fear of people," said Simonsen.

If you see a gator in the wild, stay back about 30 feet. Never feed them and be especially careful at dawn and dusk near water.

"I think maybe some people who swim on a regular basis in freshwater get a little bit complacent about the local gators, they're on the bank, sitting there, they see the same gator every day. But the fact is that's a wild animal that needs to eat at some point," said Boland.

Florida averages five unprovoked attacks a year. There have been 24 fatal gator attacks since FWC started keeping track in the 1940s.

"Gators are wild animals they're going to do what they're going to do, and if people are not giving them the respect they need, things are going to happen," said Boland.

If you have a nuisance alligator you'd like to have removed, call FWC at 1-866-392-4286. Their 24-hour wildlife alert hotline is 1-888-404-3922.

VIDEO:
Florida sees surge in alligator attacks - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 07-24-2017, 10:11 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Man attacked by alligator at Charlotte County retention pond | WINK NEWS

Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Well, my best wishes for his recovery, but I still have to wonder; I can see why an alligator would be found in a retention pond, but what was the guy doing there?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, my best wishes for his recovery, but I still have to wonder; I can see why an alligator would be found in a retention pond, but what was the guy doing there?
Couldn't agree more! I do not understand why people take chances where a gator may be

Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My GF works right where it happened and she said it was a homeless guy taking a bath.

We drove by those ponds a few weeks ago and I said "man, I bet they are full of gators".

Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 PM

207 posts, read 260,668 times
Bonehead move for sure.
I am sure I will get flamed for this but here goes. How many gators are too many? When they start leaving their natural habitat and move into retention ponds in the middle of populated areas, is that too many? Just curious what others think.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:45 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
Bonehead move for sure.
I am sure I will get flamed for this but here goes. How many gators are too many? When they start leaving their natural habitat and move into retention ponds in the middle of populated areas, is that too many? Just curious what others think.
The problem is their natural habitats have been encroached on, and in many cases replaced by those populated areas. Where are the alligators supposed to go?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:06 PM

207 posts, read 260,668 times
I am not saying there should be more or less. Just asking opinions.

When I lived in Pa. there was a similar situation with deer. Houses kept being built and habitat was lost. When it got to the point when people were hitting too many deer with cars and people started getting hurt in those wrecks, guess who lost. The insurance cos. and people demanded the deer be reduced. Call it survival of the strongest or progress, there are now less deer with the game commission selling almost unlimited doe tags in those areas. To the point where seeing 1 was rare. Prior to that seeing 20 cross our property was normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte