Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 AM

191 posts, read 299,617 times

Advertisements

Located in Harbor Heights area of Punta Gorda. Been at one location for a few months and am moving to a new permanent location in the Harbor Heights area. Have had Century Link for TV & broadband and the TV is okay (don't care much for the menu), but the broadband has had problems. CL's facilities are in buried cable here and every time it rains we start losing the broadband. Pretty sure they've got a bad buried splice somewhere. The cable maintenance techs took a couple days to repair a cable pair to give us service in the beginning (never a good sign as this means there are no good spares for new service). Anyway, other areas of Harbor Heights seem okay so I'd be willing to try CL again (as our new house is on a different road). Perhaps folks on this board have some other pertinent advice/comments with regard to their own experience with TV and broadband around these parts. Maybe a combo of satellite for TV and "cable" provider for broadband ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
I have Comcast for Internet and it has always worked great for me.

For TV I also have Comcast but when my contract ends I will just use an over the air HD antenna and Netflix.

I attached a small RCA flat HDTV antenna to one of the TV's in the house. The TV is on a dresser and the antenna hangs down behind the dresser out of sight. What I discovered is that I receive 17 channels between the antenna and Netflix I should be good

Gary

Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
I've had comcast for several years - no good other options for TV and internet here in Punta Gorda Isles - until now. I have not been happy with their service, or the reliability of quality TV - continual weak signal sporadic screen freezes and numerous other issues. We called for a tech a few times and all they wanted to do was resend the signal - UHG not the problem.

We recently switched to CenturyLink Prime. It is like FIOS for those familiar with Verizon (we were up north and got it after having crappy comcast service up north as well). We have more TVs on line, can move them anywhere wirelessly, reception is fantastic, computer speed is great, and all the special packages (except the NFL package where you can view all games because they don't have that yet). But we have HBO, Showtime, Cinimax, Encore, and all the others, AND our bill is about $50.00 per month less!!

Now all I need is a couple of those leather, electric operated recliners (beer holders optional.) ;-)

Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I've had comcast for several years - no good other options for TV and internet here in Punta Gorda Isles - until now. I have not been happy with their service, or the reliability of quality TV - continual weak signal sporadic screen freezes and numerous other issues. We called for a tech a few times and all they wanted to do was resend the signal - UHG not the problem.

We recently switched to CenturyLink Prime. It is like FIOS for those familiar with Verizon (we were up north and got it after having crappy comcast service up north as well). We have more TVs on line, can move them anywhere wirelessly, reception is fantastic, computer speed is great, and all the special packages (except the NFL package where you can view all games because they don't have that yet). But we have HBO, Showtime, Cinimax, Encore, and all the others, AND our bill is about $50.00 per month less!!

Now all I need is a couple of those leather, electric operated recliners (beer holders optional.) ;-)
Big House, what download/upload speeds to you get with Centurylink? I don't like Comcast service either but their internet works well. I'd considering switching if I could get comparible bandwidth.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Century Link over Comcast any day!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 06:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
BH- I think you meant to say Century Link Prism, not Prime?
My Prism package is being installed Friday and I'm stoked!
I've been a CL phone and DSL customer since moving here in 2007 and have always enjoyed good customer service.

For TV we've bounced between Bangladesh, er uh, I mean DirecTV and Dish network. Never liked the rainouts and hated the pricing and lousy customer service. Felt like I'd won a prize when I fired DTV yesterday.

If it were up to me alone, I'd go with MartGras and have a over the air antenna and Netflix only but my wife won't have that. I get to fish. She gets everything else. Happy wife, happy life!

The bundle I got from CL is home phone, mid-level TV package (no movie channels but everything else) and 10 Meg DSL (up from my current 3mg). Total price is $130 per month.
That's $70 less than what I pay now for all 3. Price is locked for one year and only goes up $20 per mo for second year but I have the option to cancel after year one. No installation charges and I also get a $100 cash card for being a new Prism client. If you are new to CL and take all 3, you can get up to $300 back.

If you want to give me a referral, PM me for my contact info and we both get another price break. Good luck with whichever service you chose. I'm sure this thread will help lots of folks.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
Because Comcast, Century Link and Directv are always willing to make a deal to get your business I wonder if the best idea wouldn't be to switch with every contract renewal. The other option is to tell your current company you are going to switch because the other company is geeing you a better deal I'm most cases they will lower your price. I currently have Comcast Internet and basic cable for $50 per month.

When I purchased my house in March I had Comcast Internet installed at a special two year rate of $29 over the following couple of months I received numerous offers from Comcast for TV service and finally signed up when they offered basic service for $19.99

Gary

Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post

If it were up to me alone, I'd go with MartGras and have a over the air antenna and Netflix only but my wife won't have that. I get to fish. She gets everything else. Happy wife, happy life!

The bundle I got from CL is home phone, mid-level TV package (no movie channels but everything else).

im to addictied to hgtv and such but I miss the days of tv antennas ,but then tv went off at midnight , anyone from massachusettes remember when 5 all night in boston started wow tv all night.

I hate the bundle also just to get tv an internet and a phone I don't want

Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post

I attached a small RCA flat HDTV antenna to one of the TV's in the house. The TV is on a dresser and the antenna hangs down behind the dresser out of sight. What I discovered is that I receive 17 channels between the antenna and Netflix I should be good

Gary
In Sunday's paper there was an article about using antennas or what they were calling OTA ( over the air) TV.

The author gave a site that when you enter your zip code it will return a list of available channels to you.

www.antennaweb.org

On the first page hit "click here to start" .

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Im not sure of the internet speed, but it is great. I didn't have complaints about the Comcast Internet speed, only the reliability. I know that we lost speed in the evening on the internet when everyone started to log on, but that was negligible compared to the TV problems.

The speed is supposed to be faster with Century link, and it may be but its hard to tell. I don't have the slow down at night though. I know that the number of wireless (concurrent) connections to our router jumped from about 4-6 items (computers, iPads, iPhones, etc) to 24 at a time. Of course I don't have that many items to connect, but its great to know that I can.

Plus, we used to have our guest TVs hooked up to cable with comcast - they could get all the regular and local stations, until comcast messed with that so you had to rent one of their boxes. Now they all all fully operational, and can be moved anywhere, like out to the lanai to watch a game or other event on a nice day - if we wish. I haven't done that yet, but since I don't keep my beer cooler in the guest bedroom, I keep it on the lanai. So I know I'll move it there sometimes -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte