Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM

180 posts, read 450,542 times

Advertisements

For reasons I won't explain, I know a great deal about salt generating pools. I'll list some of the main pluses and minuses below. If anyone doubts any of them, I'll be happy to offer further explanation. I do have a strong chemistry background but was "forced" to learn more than I wanted to about these systems.

1. A salt pool has a cell where water passes over series of titanium plates where an electrolytic ionization reaction takes place. It combines sodium, oxygen and chloride molecules from the salt water that's present in the pool. It's a little more complicated than that but I'm sure no one cares much about that.
2. The salt concentration that must be in solution is usually between 2500 ppm and 4500 ppm....which is about 10% of what you would find in the ocean (salinity gets higher in warmer sea water because more salt is able to go into solution...less, in cold).
3. A salt pool usually doesn't taste very salty. Studies show that the ability to taste salt varies among individuals. Generally, younger people can taste salt more readily than older people. Enough about that!
4. A salt pool is more expensive initially and also almost always more expensive to maintain in the long run. (I expect to be challenged on this one!!!)
5. A salt pool does create water that most people find more comfortable....as does a water softener that you also might find in your home.
6. The chlorine created is essentially the same as the sodium hypochlorite that most people add to non-salt pools. There are sometimes slight differences as there are a number of different chlorinating products.
7. The chemicals and chemistry involved in maintaining both types of pools is almost exactly the same....except that a certain salt level is maintained in one type and chlorine is artificially introduced into the other.
8. Unless it's diluted (and runoff is created), the addition of much salt is usually unnecessary.
9. In a standard, non-salt pool, the addition of chlorine is always necessary......but it's also cheap.
10. Not all salt generators are created equal....some provide more information than others and are easier to maintain, as a result...(but not cheaper to maintain).
11. Measuring salt levels at home is reliable but expensive. Taking samples to the pool store is the way to go.....(although you shouldn't need to do it very often).
12. The salt systems that are installed on most pools are 'over sized' and will easily create chlorine necessary to sanitize the pool without over use of the pump.

If you don't agree with my comments, by all means, let me know.....it won't hurt my feelings and I'll be glad to explain my thinking!

Last edited by chuckycheese; 12-10-2013 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
11. Measuring salt levels at home is reliable but expensive. Taking samples to the pool store is the way to go.
Expensive?? How so? The control unit does this for you. I simply push the "test" button and it gives me the salt ppm. If mine falls below 3,000 ppm, the red light blinks to notify the user to add salt (it even tells how much salt to add for the size pool that is programmed into the unit).
I even had a pool store test once to see if my unit was correct, and there was only 100ppm difference (negligible)

Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 AM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
I converted my chlorine pool to salt three years ago. That was one of the best moves I ever made...we love the salt pool. Call some pool companies and ask them which type of pools they are installing. I think you will find that the majority of new pools are going saltwater.
I'm sure that is true!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Default Read it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Expensive?? How so? The control unit does this for you. I simply push the "test" button and it gives me the salt ppm. If mine falls below 3,000 ppm, the red light blinks to notify the user to add salt (it even tells how much salt to add for the size pool that is programmed into the unit).
I even had a pool store test once to see if my unit was correct, and there was only 100ppm difference (negligible)
You need to read comment #10, also! Some systems don't give salinity numbers. As far as expensive to test....it is. There are only two practical ways to do it at home....test strips, which are disposable and expensive and a test meter.....which costs about $140.

I don't think either #10 or #11 are really very important in the overall scheme of things!

P.S. I've got to go out and dig a hole in my side yard. If I survive the experience, I'll check in later to see how I'm doing!!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
Some systems don't give salinity numbers. As far as expensive to test....it is. There are only two practical ways to do it at home....test strips, which are disposable and expensive and a test meter.....which costs about $140.

I don't think either #10 or #11 are really very important in the overall scheme of things!
I wasn't aware that there were cheaper units that didn't give the salt level. Seems like this would be a standard feature for a salt system. Guess not. For anyone thinking about adding a salt system, I would HIGHLY recommend one that DOES provide this info, to avoid the testing costs mentioned by CC

Old 12-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Default NaCl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I wasn't aware that there were cheaper units that didn't give the salt level. Seems like this would be a standard feature for a salt system. Guess not. For anyone thinking about adding a salt system, I would HIGHLY recommend one that DOES provide this info, to avoid the testing costs mentioned by CC
I agree it is certainly preferable to have a system that gives you that information. I know there are at least couple of brands that don't, including the one I have.....which is made by Jandy. There's at least one more but I don't recall the name of it. My system does have a clear cell so you can see if it's in need of cleaning. I think they all have the reverse polarity feature, which does a pretty good job of keeping them clean.

OK, now for my joking method of determining pool salinity: If I can't taste the salt in the water, I probably don't have enough. If my dog won't drink it, I probably have too much!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
I have to agree with HH and others. Salt is the only way to go. We have a high efficiency pump which costs about $10 a month to run. We had to put salt in the pool twice in an year and a a half. Like HH we check it weekly and add acid as needed. We do have to clean our filter a couple times a week but that is only because our dog swims daily. Our salt pool is pretty much maintenance free. I am thrilled we decided on salt when we had the pool put in.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Oh oh, TamRe. You loose a reputation point for that!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 AM

Default Put me in the 'Plus' column !!

I hope nobody thinks that I don't like 'salt pools'......I have one and I like it a lot! I just think there are quite a few misconceptions surrounding some of the features, benefits and potential downfalls. That's really not unusual with any product.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Oh oh, TamRe. You loose a reputation point for that!
Well, I can tell you several people that have switched from salt to chlorine. My stepdaughter is one of them. My grandson complained about the taste of the salt and they didn't care for the upkeep of the salt water system or the feel of it so they had it switched to chlorine. My neighbor across the street bought a house with the salt system and switched to chlorine right away. I guess it is a personal preference. But I know that it is more expensive to run a salt system and you do have to replace it more often. Just my experience with past customers. I have heard too many bad stories, that is why I chose not to go with the salt system when we had our pool installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte