Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,542,188 times

Advertisements

Interesting Gary! I guess maybe I need to re-think. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
The main reason people like the saltwater is because the water feels different. Some describe it as softer.

There is also a claim that your eyes won't burn because there is no chlorine in the pool......well a saltwater pool still has chlorine in the water and if your chlorine pool burns your eyes then you are using too much.

As far as cost of chlorine vs salt I believe the cost of chlorine is cheaper than the cost of the conversion and a new chlorine generator every 3 to 7 Years at $400 to $700 a pop.

So you still want a saltwater pool because it feels nice........then put salt in your pool!

That's right put salt in your chlorine pool up to a level of 2000ppm

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:03 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,614,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Interesting Gary! I guess maybe I need to re-think. Thanks!
There is no right or wrong and I'm not saying that I won't someday in the future convert my chlorine pool to salt. But there are lots of ways to do it.

Gary

Old 11-06-2015, 02:25 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,832,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh1947 View Post
HH thanks. I was taken aback by the negative comments of the other poster.
I thought your were LOOKING for the "downsides". I have yet to hear about a positive downside.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:58 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,964,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post

If your water burns your eyes then you are using too much chlorine and your PH is out of whack.
The main reason people experience burning eyes is actually from the chlorine mixing with pee, sweat, etc...

High pH can also cause eye irritation but that's not so much an effect of chlorine levels.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...wimming-pools/

Causes of Eye Irritation When Swimming

Old 11-07-2015, 07:23 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,949,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
The main reason people experience burning eyes is actually from the chlorine mixing with pee, sweat, etc...

High pH can also cause eye irritation but that's not so much an effect of chlorine levels.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...wimming-pools/

Causes of Eye Irritation When Swimming
Right - the chlorine, whether from a salt generator or hypochlorite, chlorinates nitrogenous compounds into chloramines. It's the chloramines that smell and sting your eyes when they build up (heavy use). Maybe not intuitively, the fix is then more chlorine (called chlorine shocking) to "burn up" the chloramines. You may never notice an issue if your pool gets only light use, but a heavily used community pool probably needs to be shocked weekly. Baquacil has the same issue, just using different chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte