Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:48 PM

55 posts, read 98,849 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to hijack another thread, but am curious about the statement one poster made about Port Charlotte being "full of criminals". Say what? Is that a comment on the crime statistics in PC or a comment on the providers or service and/or product or are there meth labs on every street?

I researched some statistics and they did not seem unduly high. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 03:43 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
It's a very safe town. I've been here since 07 and we average about 1 murder a year. Usually it's people who know each other or a bar scene with strangers from out of town.
I can tell you that craigslist hookers make the news. If that's our biggest news story on crime, but we are doing something right. There are drug addicts and drug houses like in every community but the CCSO does a good job in locking people up and shutting crime down. The few times I've seen stories on "home invasions" it seems to always end up being people who knew each other and all were involved in drugs. There was one truly bad random case in North Port of a stranger abducting an innocent woman and they got the guy (albeit too late for her) but I can attest, as a retired cop from AZ, this is a mostly low crime area or I wouldn't buy or stay here.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
we don't live in PC - we're about 10 miles out, but as MA says most of it seems to be petty, drug related crime not the real serious stuff murders, gangbangers etc

CCSO do seem pretty on the ball and you can also get some great stats via the web of crimes, where/when and what

I would think if you took out
Drugs
'domestics'
driving related

it would look pretty darn good

Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh1947 View Post
I didn't want to hijack another thread, but am curious about the statement one poster made about Port Charlotte being "full of criminals". Say what? Is that a comment on the crime statistics in PC or a comment on the providers or service and/or product or are there meth labs on every street?

I researched some statistics and they did not seem unduly high. What do you think?
I saw that post too and thought, "Huh??". Some people just like to criticize.

I bought in PC in the summer of '12. Did some research before and learned more since spending time here. There are some areas that I avoid, but then again I can find those same areas in PG or probably most other places as well. But PC being "Full of criminals"??? Nonsense. I feel very safe here; otherwise I wouldn't be here!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 AM

174 posts, read 409,031 times
In my opinion, the main crimes committed in PC and surrounding areas, are theft, burglaries and drug crime. There are also many sex offenders who live in that area, as well as, the whole state of Florida. As the above post states about the CCSO, I agree.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,486 times
I feel very safe here in Port Charlotte been here now 2 years and have not heard a peep in my neighborhood. I think that other poster had an agenda and needed to down play PC I also agree that Charlotte County Sheriff Office is doing a great job and deserves a big thumbs up and all our support

Old 12-12-2013, 06:53 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Agree with all of the above. Most of the sirens you'll hear are elderly medical-related ("help, I've fallen and I can't get up!")
We feel safe raising our 4yr old son here. We bike, walk and boat all over the area and rarely feel threatened whatsoever. Last weekend at the beach complex there was a transient flipping out on drugs under a pavilion. THe police and ambulance came and took him away. You'll see that occasionally at any beach pavilion. This area seems to cater to the homeless (whole 'nother thread). Most of the "crime" takes place in the run-down neighborhoods (every town has them, EVEN Punta Gorda!!)

Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Go to the Charlotte County Sheriff's Department web page for crime statistics. You can look at the map and the reports. Crime is minimal compared to other large cities such as Ft Myers or Sarasota. Crime Statistics

Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 AM

229 posts, read 346,806 times
Wait...there are hookers on Craigs list?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:14 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born01930 View Post
Wait...there are hookers on Craigs list?
LOL, I don't think they identify themselves as such... think one has to read between the sheets....er.....lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte