Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times

Advertisements

As long as were going in this direction has any one experienced electrolysis. I was told to be careful of that. Not sure of exactly how or why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
As long as were going in this direction has any one experienced electrolysis. I was told to be careful of that. Not sure of exactly how or why
If you have a big boat, you want to have some Zinc diodes on the bottom of your boat. There is some electrolysis that occurs, and basically it causes premature corrosion to the bottom of you boat - mainly if you leave your boat in the water for long periods of time. The Zinc corrodes and is considered sacrificial. If you keep the Zincs on your boat in good shape, then you don't have to worry about electrolysis. And the amount of electrical current in the water can be naturally occurring, come from a number of other sources. It generally increases in areas where there are a lot of houses, pools and marinas. Electrical grounding from houses, pools, electrical connections at your dock / lift and other areas can contribute to the amount of electrical current in the water (even though it is very minor), bit can damage your boat and other metals in the water. If you put your boat on a lift, you shouldn't need to worry much.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
If you have a big boat, you want to have some Zinc diodes on the bottom of your boat. There is some electrolysis that occurs, and basically it causes premature corrosion to the bottom of you boat - mainly if you leave your boat in the water for long periods of time. The Zinc corrodes and is considered sacrificial. If you keep the Zincs on your boat in good shape, then you don't have to worry about electrolysis. And the amount of electrical current in the water can be naturally occurring, come from a number of other sources. It generally increases in areas where there are a lot of houses, pools and marinas. Electrical grounding from houses, pools, electrical connections at your dock / lift and other areas can contribute to the amount of electrical current in the water (even though it is very minor), bit can damage your boat and other metals in the water. If you put your boat on a lift, you shouldn't need to worry much.
Thanks Big House that clears up that area. I wasn't completely clear, but I was referring to the lift it-self.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
Thanks Big House that clears up that area. I wasn't completely clear, but I was referring to the lift it-self.
The same issue can happen with the lift.

When your lift is in the water electrolysis will occur because the cables are steel and everything else is aluminum. Leave it in long enough (a very long time) and the only thing you will have left are the cables.

Not sure that it's practical because the lifts aren't in the water that long but I suppose you could bolt Zinks onto the aluminum structure that gets lowered into the water, the Zinks would corrode instead of the aluminum.

Gary

Old 11-14-2014, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
my wife and I just purchased a lot in BSI. this information was so great. thanks for sharing. we cant wait to build our house, and get down south to enjoy the great weather and fishing. thanks

Old 11-14-2014, 04:56 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetroff View Post
my wife and I just purchased a lot in BSI. this information was so great. thanks for sharing. we cant wait to build our house, and get down south to enjoy the great weather and fishing. thanks
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

The group here has a wealth go knowledge so don't be afraid to ask.

Also keep us updated on your progress.

Gary

Old 11-14-2014, 05:36 PM

493 posts, read 636,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetroff View Post
It's funny how a guy makes his first post on a thread about docks and hasn't even built a house yet. I think you'll fit in well here! Good luck with your project and welcome to the area. Lots of great people and great info here. Mark

Old 11-14-2014, 06:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Buy the sacrificial zincs not attached to your boat. They will take the 1st beating.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Electrolysis effects Fiberglass?? Not that I am aware of. Its Non-conductive.. Errant currents are most often found from shore power issues.. Water is an excellent conductor : ) So I ask ? What is the basis for your statement: " the amount of electrical current in the water can be naturally occurring, come from a number of other sources. It generally increases in areas where there are a lot of houses, pools and marinas. Electrical grounding from houses, pools,"
( Soft Metal "Zinc's" protect Thru hulls and to a greater extent outdrives and outboards in fact all metal parts that are connected in anyway to an electrical system. ) Your Non-electric Jack plate is connected conductivity wise to your motor..
I disagree with you. Your house and pool wiring and grounding there of should have zero effect on the water surrounding your boat..( That said we are discussing PC and PG where TTBOMK no one has a house on stilts in the water next to a dock .. ) Reverse polarities is a HUGE Issue. Improper grounding of 110 220 and 12 24 36 Volt systems on peoples boats are a huge issue.. "Just because the light comes on doesnt mean you wired it right"
Electricity get all the more complicated when you add the word BOAT.. Galvonic Isolators ring a bell? It can be as simple as a double bonded neutral in a system..

Old 11-14-2014, 06:22 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Please explain" zincs not attached to your boat" I ask that because everything that is wet is attached to your hull and to some extent your entire electrical system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Buy the sacrificial zincs not attached to your boat. They will take the 1st beating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte