Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 AM

493 posts, read 633,588 times

Advertisements

Definitely want a ladder. I'm going to try that Craigslist link you sent me to see if they still have any when I get down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,036,985 times
I have two snook lights in the water. They come on every night and are operated by a photo cell. They need to run every night and heat up in order to keep algae from building up on them. Also running them every night creates a place where fish get used to returning. It is a bait / feeding station. Here in PGI the larger fish species that hang by the lights are the snook. Further south, tarpon and other species will move in and dominate the lights at night. I installed the lights myself (it is very simple), but you do need to have a licensed electrician install a receptacle for you to plug the transformer unit into down by the dock.

I don't have a ladder (but that is a good point). What I have is a floating dock, that raises and lowers with the tide, so that it is easy to get in and out of the water and up onto my dock should someone fall in.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,616,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I have two snook lights in the water. They come on every night and are operated by a photo cell. They need to run every night and heat up in order to keep algae from building up on them. Also running them every night creates a place where fish get used to returning. It is a bait / feeding station. Here in PGI the larger fish species that hang by the lights are the snook. Further south, tarpon and other species will move in and dominate the lights at night. I installed the lights myself (it is very simple), but you do need to have a licensed electrician install a receptacle for you to plug the transformer unit into down by the dock.

I don't have a ladder (but that is a good point). What I have is a floating dock, that raises and lowers with the tide, so that it is easy to get in and out of the water and up onto my dock should someone fall in.
One of the first things I did when I purchased the house was install a ladder.

My neighbor told me he had a floating dock a few years ago...then an 8 foot alligator decided it was a good to sun himself for the winter.....the floating dock is gone.

Gary

Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
We just had our dock lengthened. The work was done by Ron Parr's company in PG and it turned out great. Had to wait awhile to have it completed, but his price was excellent and we are quite satisfied.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildseeker View Post
We just had our dock lengthened. The work was done by Ron Parr's company in PG and it turned out great. Had to wait awhile to have it completed, but his price was excellent and we are quite satisfied.
I agree, Ron Parr is a good guy.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM

He is by far the Best I have found in Florida.

Last year he installed a lift for me that I almost destroyed last week.

Now the story....Don't try this at home

Last Sunday I climbed on my boat hit the down button on my remote and lowered my self into the water and went for a little ride.

Upon my return I noticed from a distance that something didn't look quite right.
As I got closer something was very wrong, a presently when I pulled away I never turnd off the lift.

It continued to go down and when the cables were extended all the way they started to wind back up again.

Being Sunday all I could do was leave a message at Ron's office.

7:30 the next morning Ron called, by 9 he had someone at my house and a couple of hours later I was up and running.

Two burned out belts, two burned up pulleys, and two new cables later and it was fixed.

Those stainless steel cables are expensive and for the amount of time they spent getting me back up and running the bill was very reasonable.

Gary

Concrete dock in PGI-image.jpg

Old 04-19-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
He is by far the Best I have found in Florida.

Now the story....Don't try this at home

Last Sunday I climbed on my boat hit the down button on my remote and lowered my self into the water and went for a little ride.

Upon my return I noticed from a distance that something didn't look quite right.
As I got closer something was very wrong, a presently when I pulled away I never turnd off the lift.

It continued to go down and when the cables were extended all the way they started to wind back up again.

Being Sunday all I could do was leave a message at Ron's office.

7:30 the next morning Ron called, by 9 he had someone at my house and a couple of hours later I was up and running.

Two burned out belts, two burned up pulleys, and two new cables later and it was fixed.

Those stainless steel cables are expensive and for the amount of time they spent getting me back up and running the bill was very reasonable.

Gary

Attachment 128629
This will make for a good discussion on the dock back home this summer on how Mr. Wizard was attacked by one of his electronic gadgets. I wasn't going to tell anyone but I guess it's okay now.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:12 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,970,282 times
Quote:
Ouch!!! The one and only downside to the remote system. Human error. Glad it didn't destroy the motors!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Ouch!!! The one and only downside to the remote system. Human error. Glad it didn't destroy the motors!
It was entirely my fault.

The system can work in one of two ways.

Automatic you press either the up or down button on the remote and the stop button on the remote to stop the lift

Manual you press and HOLD either the up or down button on the remote to operate the lift, take your finger off the button and the lift stops.

I give you one guess which mode I had it in.

Gary

Old 04-19-2014, 02:44 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,970,282 times
Quote:
It was entirely my fault.

The system can work in one of two ways.

Automatic you press either the up or down button on the remote and the stop button on the remote to stop the lift

Manual you press and HOLD either the up or down button on the remote to operate the lift, take your finger off the button and the lift stops.

I give you one guess which mode I had it in.

Gary
I would've had it in auto as well. Who wants to hold a button for 2 minutes. Lessons learned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte