Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM

378 posts, read 629,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
Sounds like Dean Custom Homes,stay away!
I have no direct experience of Dean Homes but I have considered using them. Do you have a story to relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
did things not work out well then BBWB ?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
This is the first time I have heard anyone say to stay away from Dean homes. What was your bad experience with them?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:25 PM

383 posts, read 1,024,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
This is the first time I have heard anyone say to stay away from Dean homes. What was your bad experience with them?
Well we were quite confident in them at the beginning,but as the work progressed and they took on 20 more homes to build at the same, time the work got shoddier,and mistakes started happening,and what we wound up with was not the home of our dreams ,but more of a nightmare. Come to find out,even with a "Custom Builder" if you dont go with the Cookie-Cutter" models that they offer,you wind up with light switches all over the house that are not hooked up to anything ,and light fixtures that are way off center ,and water line to your fridge that runs through the base cabinets,and bathroom tile that is installed by teenage kids who do not speak English and the finished product LOOKS like it was installed by teenage kids who dont speak English,then when the pool guys came to put in the pool,yhe stem-wall had to be torn down and moved 3 ft in order to fit the pool that had been in the original print all the while .I could go on for hours here but just let me saythis,stay away,they are building way too many houses at a time and have NO control over the subs that are working on them.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:56 PM

That is very interesting. Thanks for relating your experience with Dean Homes. I am sorry that you didn't get the house you wanted. It must have been a very trying experience.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 AM

oh dear, that is one of the key problems when people 'chase the dollar' and just go after more and more work.

my stepfather was a builder and got all his work on reputation and recommendation, he would tell clients when HE could start and simply said, if you want me you wait for me, I'm not rushing another job or taking on more than I can handle and compromises my quality'.
its a great ethic and one I always followed back in England, we never took on work we couldn't handle simply for the stress etc.

Bigger isn't always best, indeed there is another builder round here going the same route, started off doing a few ,nice work etc...now increasing volume and the standards are slipping.

me , I'm going to be happy doing my 3 or 4 homes a year , don't need that stress anymore thanks

Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
That is very interesting. Thanks for relating your experience with Dean Homes. I am sorry that you didn't get the house you wanted. It must have been a very trying experience.
We're SHOCKED to hear of your bad luck, as we HAVE one of the DMDean homes, and are SUPER satisfied with it, have had no problems, and have recommended them to many others, including our own daughter! We hope all turned out well in the end. Quality and the client, are both very important to Mark Dean, and he stands behind his work!

Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Just curious, Karen and Jim, did you make many changes to the stock house? I had heard that Dean was very receptive to adapting a house to suit. It sounds as if Beachbum did not have a very good experience making changes.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Any builder worth his salt should be adaptive to changes as it can ruin or make someones dream home. the problem is too many people see it as too much hassle and either say NO or over price the variations.

at the end of the day , YOU are the customer and should get what you want

Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
Just curious, Karen and Jim, did you make many changes to the stock house? I had heard that Dean was very receptive to adapting a house to suit. It sounds as if Beachbum did not have a very good experience making changes.

Yes, we did make a lot of changes, even down to moving walls in our house to suit our needs. We took "the Beach House" model and made it our own, and have never been happier. We've had 2 homes built in the past, and have never been so pleased!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte