Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,486 times

Advertisements

I have a new to me 28 foot Aluminum trailer replacing a galvanized trailer. The problem i'm having is if I back into the water a bit too far the trailer will float. Is this the way it is or am I doing something wrong never had that problem before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
Maybe tour backing in farther then you need to i always just back to where i can walk to the winch and not get wet feet of course the angle of the ramp is a variable.
But i was surprised to with my lift k replaced the steele beems with aluminum. And with the wood bunks it was boyant under water the ols beams were 340 pounds the new aluminum was extreem light. Easy to carry a 12' beam.

Ihya i had to add 4 6"x16" cement blocks filled with concreete

Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM

463 posts, read 866,728 times
Very common problem. Some add weight to the trailer by attaching PVC filled with concrete or attach lead plates to the side of the bunks. I have heard of people drilling holes to allow water in. I have also heard people like it when the trailer floats as it automaticly centers the boat. You can always just back in just far enough that it doesn't float.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM

459 posts, read 585,604 times
Boat trailer should not float.

If it is a factor unit something is wrong. Most if they use box tube for the main frame will have several holes in teh bottom and the end of the channels?tubes will not be capped. As you back into the water the tube will fill and the trailer won't float. When you pull out they will drain.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Boat trailer should not float.

If it is a factor unit something is wrong. Most if they use box tube for the main frame will have several holes in teh bottom and the end of the channels?tubes will not be capped. As you back into the water the tube will fill and the trailer won't float. When you pull out they will drain.
Many aluminum trailers don't use "tubes", they use I-beams. It's the tires that float and the rest is light enough to allow them to. Common problem. I see a lot of them with barbell weights bolted to the back rails.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Sell the boat, put a motor on the trailer and use that instead. :-)

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM

459 posts, read 585,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Many aluminum trailers don't use "tubes", they use I-beams. It's the tires that float and the rest is light enough to allow them to. Common problem. I see a lot of them with barbell weights bolted to the back rails.

I see. My race car trailer was AL and I doubt if it would float. It had (4) 16" tires and weighed about 1200#'s. I guess these boat trailers are a lot lighter and I can see how the tires would do it for sure.

I built a float trailer for my airplane in Alaska to take it out of the water when it was on floats and used 2" x 3" sq. tube for the frame (steel). It would float so I had to leave the ends open and cut two good size holes in the underside of each tube so it would sink and stay on the ramp bottom. Would be really ugly to poke a hole in a $30,000 float!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the responses I can see now how the tires would allow the light weight trailer to float will be more careful backing in now

Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
That is the correct answer, aluminum boat trailers are all I-beam for strength/weight ratio as compared to galvanized steel which are C-channel. If your aluminum trailer is floating you are either in too far or need to use a better ramp in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aus View Post
That is the correct answer, aluminum boat trailers are all I-beam for strength/weight ratio as compared to galvanized steel which are C-channel. If your aluminum trailer is floating you are either in too far or need to use a better ramp in my opinion.
I was defiantly in too far I just wasn't prepared for the trailer to float. It blew my mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte