Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM

21 posts, read 86,490 times

Advertisements

In keeping with our quest to gather as much info as possible before our visit, riding our bicycles in our new area is key to us. We understand that PG has numerous bike paths but our question is a little different. How easy is it to ride from, say PGI or BSI, to downtown?

We know we can get there but we don't want to take our life in our hands every time we do it. Therefore a series of less crowded 25MPH streets work much better than, for instance, bike lanes on US 41 (I know you wouldn't take US 41 from PGI or BSI to downtown - that's just an illustration of the type of road we want to avoid).

On this trip we will be looking at 3 different areas - Naples, Punta Gorda, and from Bradenton down to Englewood. We will be renting bikes for the day in each location and would appreciate any advance information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1254 View Post
In keeping with our quest to gather as much info as possible before our visit, riding our bicycles in our new area is key to us. We understand that PG has numerous bike paths but our question is a little different. How easy is it to ride from, say PGI or BSI, to downtown?

We know we can get there but we don't want to take our life in our hands every time we do it. Therefore a series of less crowded 25MPH streets work much better than, for instance, bike lanes on US 41 (I know you wouldn't take US 41 from PGI or BSI to downtown - that's just an illustration of the type of road we want to avoid).

On this trip we will be looking at 3 different areas - Naples, Punta Gorda, and from Bradenton down to Englewood. We will be renting bikes for the day in each location and would appreciate any advance information.

From BSI there is a traffic light at the intersection of 41 and Monaco that will get you safely across the 4 lane hiway. On the East side of 41 separated from the hiway by a grass buffer is a blacktopped bike path that is very user friendly for bikes and will take you all the way into the downtown area. You just have to coordinate your ride with some traffic lights. At several locations along this ride you can always cross at a traffic light to get back to the secondary roads you mentioned above.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Send a direct message to achildofthesky on City Data. She rides her bike all around Punta Gorda on a regular basis. She can give you all the ins and outs.

Here is a link to the ring around the city in Punta Gorda with the bike and walking paths.
City of Punta Gorda Florida

Old 12-29-2013, 01:49 PM

41 posts, read 88,835 times
Stephen 1254:

PM sent about my thoughts on cycling here as my reply was a bit long for a forum post...

Feel free to ask about anything I missed.

Be safe
Patty

Old 12-29-2013, 01:56 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achildofthesky View Post
Stephen 1254:

PM sent about my thoughts on cycling here as my reply was a bit long for a forum post...

Feel free to ask about anything I missed.

Be safe
Patty
Thanks for doing that Patty. Hope all is well with you.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:57 PM

Default PG biking...

Stephen1254:

I often ride rt 41 south to BS road and then onward. Not a problem. A few honks from time to time by the folks that don't bother to read the posted laws. I do understand your hesitation and there is a path on the north side of 41 from BS meadows to Airport road in town. About 5-6 miles or so. From there it is a relatively easy hop around town by the casual paced path if you choose.

Be safe
Patty

Old 12-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Stephen:

I sent another rather long winded PM...

Be safe
Patty

Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM

459 posts, read 585,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achildofthesky View Post
Stephen1254:

I often ride rt 41 south to BS road and then onward. Not a problem. A few honks from time to time by the folks that don't bother to read the posted laws. I do understand your hesitation and there is a path on the north side of 41 from BS meadows to Airport road in town. About 5-6 miles or so. From there it is a relatively easy hop around town by the casual paced path if you choose.

Be safe
Patty

Most of the time those "honks" are the result of folks on bikes who think they have a special privilege along with a bad attitude ... works both ways.

Be safe ... and obey the posted laws

Old 01-01-2014, 10:12 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Most of the time those "honks" are the result of folks on bikes who think they have a special privilege along with a bad attitude ... works both ways.

Be safe ... and obey the posted laws
There are a lot of folks here who have no idea how to safely ride a bike. There are also a lot of folks here who have no idea how to safely drive a car. Bottom line, whatever you're driving, be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte