Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 AM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times

Advertisements

how bad are the bugs/mosquitos/no-see-ums when crusing the pgi canals/ponce inlet/alligator creek inlet in summertime for sunset cruises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 AM

Anyone here live in Burnt Store Isles by chance? How's it getting through that lock during "peak" hours (whatever that may be, or if there is such a thing), i.e., does it get backed up? How long, generally, is it to open water (power on) from that lock?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
The actual lock was removed a few years ago. Traffic is not usually bad at the choke point where the lock was.
But you have slow speed conditions for a ways both before and after the lock. As I remember it was about15- 20 minutes to open water.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:32 PM

BSI seems to get a little better value for the buck than PGI (for what we're looking for in price and boating times), and I was wondering why that is. Is there any meaningful reason other than it's a whopping 5 extra minutes to "downtown" Punta Gorda vs. some places in PGI? Is it a "newer" (i.e., younger) community?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:00 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
BSI seems to get a little better value for the buck than PGI (for what we're looking for in price and boating times), and I was wondering why that is. Is there any meaningful reason other than it's a whopping 5 extra minutes to "downtown" Punta Gorda vs. some places in PGI? Is it a "newer" (i.e., younger) community?
It doesn't seem to be a younger community. It is nice there though. I like the marina and restaurant. But many people that I know that have lived there a while wish they bought in PGI. It is a lot closer to many amenities, shopping, restaurants and things, which over a long term basis can be a lot bigger thing than the 5 minutes you mention.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM

Sorry but I'm referring to Burnt Store Isles, not Burnt Store Marina. The latter is too far from PGI, definitely agreed.

(There isn't a marina in Burnt Store Isles, is there? I'm not aware of one.)

From Monaco & Hwy 41, it was 5 minutes to town, tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
It doesn't seem to be a younger community. It is nice there though. I like the marina and restaurant. But many people that I know that have lived there a while wish they bought in PGI. It is a lot closer to many amenities, shopping, restaurants and things, which over a long term basis can be a lot bigger thing than the 5 minutes you mention.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:48 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
There is no marina in Burnt Store Isles. There is a golf club.

I believe BSI came after Punta Gorda Isles. When we moved here over 10 years ago there were many vacant lots that now have homes on them. BSI is also a lot smaller than PGI.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 AM

Coming from within PGI, is it that big a deal to have a >30-40 min. run to open water via Ponce or Alligator Creek cut through? Is an hour nuts?

A buddy of mine said, interestingly (offering his own perspective), that one might drive 30-40 min in their sports car to get to sweet sections of open road. Pretty good analogy, I thought.

Been looking at a place up in the "bird" section of PGI and we timed it on a boat in canal to 1 hr. 2 min. to Ponce and just about 38 min. to Alligator Creek. It was a beautiful day, and no big deal to us at the time.

Some folks we spoke with said the way out is not a big deal, but coming back if it's hot, raining, still air filled with bugs, etc., that will be one very long hour back. Esp. if a sunset cruise out on the Harbor. And if one day we retire there and go out on a boat every day to fish or cruise, it'll get old, fast.

Hard to know what we don't know, but we would be interested in hearing your experience on this topic, if applicable.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:18 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I agree whole heartedly with your 2nd to last paragraph. What seems like a simple, peaceful ride will become a henderence quickly. In the summer storms roll in pretty quickly and you will constantly be trying to judge how far away they are and how long you might have until you need to pack it up.

Having lived on the local waters my whole life, I don't recommend purchasing a home that distance from open water. Of course, this is my own personal opinion

Old 04-02-2014, 05:07 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Coming from within PGI, is it that big a deal to have a >30-40 min. run to open water via Ponce or Alligator Creek cut through? Is an hour nuts?

A buddy of mine said, interestingly (offering his own perspective), that one might drive 30-40 min in their sports car to get to sweet sections of open road. Pretty good analogy, I thought.

Been looking at a place up in the "bird" section of PGI and we timed it on a boat in canal to 1 hr. 2 min. to Ponce and just about 38 min. to Alligator Creek. It was a beautiful day, and no big deal to us at the time.

Some folks we spoke with said the way out is not a big deal, but coming back if it's hot, raining, still air filled with bugs, etc., that will be one very long hour back. Esp. if a sunset cruise out on the Harbor. And if one day we retire there and go out on a boat every day to fish or cruise, it'll get old, fast.

Hard to know what we don't know, but we would be interested in hearing your experience on this topic, if applicable.
To each his own, I guess, but an hour is a long time. We set our limit at 1/2 hr as a compromise between a short ride and number of houses available. We ended up 24 mins from the last Ponce marker, and a year later, it still seems OK. It's enough time to have some toast and coffee, and wake up a little bit. At the other end of the day, I can leave the dock at 5:30 and get in a couple of hours at Marker 2 or the 41 bridges; if it was an hour to the harbor, I don't think I'd bother. Looked at another way, if you're an hour out, and fish twice a week, that's 2, hundred-hour maintenance visits per year, just cruising in the canal. Keep it to a half hour, and you can spend that 500 bucks on Yuengling instead of oil and plugs. And with 500 bucks worth of Yuengling on board, Big House will show up to swab the decks, so you won't even have to clean up :-))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte