Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times

Advertisements

what I love about the requirement for those vents is

they want them to let the water out
BUT if it rises they let the water IN !!!

ok it may well seep in other ways but why put big holes in something solid...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
what I love about the requirement for those vents is

they want them to let the water out
BUT if it rises they let the water IN !!!

ok it may well seep in other ways but why put big holes in something solid...............
Are you talking about FEMA required Flow Through vents? These are often shoebox size openings on the bottom of the exterior walls of non-finished areas that are below BFE>

These vents are required in areas that are below BFE, such as garages and unfinished areas. These areas are supposed to be floodproof (no carpet or drywall, no wood unless PT, no cabinets, no electric plumbing.)

The idea is that these lower level areas are supposed to be built to withstand being flooded.

The flow through vents are designed to save the home itself from being moved/squashed from the water pressure. The water is expected to be rushing and high pressure. If the vents didn't exist, that water pressure might push the home off its foundation and cause the home to disintegrate from the water pressure.

The flow through vents let the water pressure pass through the home...into the lower water proof area. And then the water passes through the lower area of the home and OUT the other side of the home since the flow through vents should be on all sides of the home. So there is water movement going on underneath, but the water pressure is not going to knock down the home because it has a means of escaping underneath the home, through the vents.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times
For those of you with pool/spa combos, how often do you really use the spa, and is it worth the added expense (or potential expense)?

We're looking at a place with a pool but no spa, and are wondering if we'd realistically use it during winter evenings, for example. The idea is nice, but the house has a lot of other redeeming features that offset the lack of an outdoor spa.

i figured if we really, really wanted an outdoor spa, we'd try to figure out a way to have an above-ground unit installed, pending required setbacks, code, plumbing & electric limitations, etc.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:20 PM

anyone care to comment on my previous ^^^ burning question of the day?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM

493 posts, read 636,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
anyone care to comment on my previous ^^^ burning question of the day?
Sorry, can't answer your question but I'd like to hear an answer also for when I have my pool installed someday. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM

I've had a jacuzzi in the past and while it was great, it's just another thing that could, ultimately, break down and/or require additional maintenance and upkeep. My thought is a pool's enough (let's call it a "must have" vs. a "nice to have" with respect to the jacuzzi)), esp. for our intended use: 2nd home. A pal of mine owns a pool supply & repair company so I get to hear all the stories of the other side of the fence: how much this & that costs, etc., i.e., great for him, bad for homeowner!

Last edited by SJNE17; 03-03-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:
I've had a jacuzzi in the past and while it was great, it's just another thing that could, ultimately, break down and/or require additional maintenance and upkeep. My thought is a pool's enough (let's call it a "must have" vs. a "nice to have" with respect to the jacuzzi)), esp. for our intended use: 2nd home. A pal of mine owns a pool supply & repair company so I get to hear all the stories of the other side of the fence: how much this & that costs, etc., i.e., great for him, bad for homeowner!
Take it for what it's worth - a friend of ours bought a house in Ft Myers with an in-ground spa that needed some repairs. When he got the estimates, he backfilled it and put a small portable hot tub on the pad. I agree that the pool is a "must have" and hot tub or spa "nice to have". Our pool gets used a lot more than the hot tub.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Duly noted.

Portable is likely the way we'd go if it became a "must have" item. Speaking with a local RE agent, he mentioned such a unit has to conform to certain setback requirements from pool and other lanai boundaries. Regardless, that's a long way's off, we're not gonna worry about it.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM

what kind of insurance does one typically have for a 20' - 24' boat stored on a lift?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
what kind of insurance does one typically have for a 20' - 24' boat stored on a lift?
That's completely up to you. I've had BoatUS for many years, and you can select the dollar amounts you want to insure it for, and whether you want contents coverage or not. If you have a trailer, insure it for less since you'll be able to tow it out of danger if a hurricane threat is imminent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte