Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 PM

14 posts, read 23,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
It's not so much the age to be concerned about, but the elevation that the house was built at. Check out the thread on flood insurance; it goes into the debacle of flood insurance rates vs/ building elevation.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times
Is (or perhaps was) there a lot of "flipping" activity going in in PGI? I think every one of those damned rehab/flip tv shows that stoke the flipping fires should be shut off the air. Too many people think they can install a granite counter, a new toilet paper holder, paint a wall or two and presto! Untold riches! Meanwhile, vacant houses sit and do nothing but trade owners. That stuff kills neighborhoods. Seen it too many times. I'm glad the banks are ratcheting up lending requirements. It now means putting real money down, speculator leverage gets whacked, occupancy status scrutinized, etc.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF11 View Post
We are a few years away from retirement, but are considering moving from the midwest ...... We're not sure if we want to live down there full-time, or just during the winter months.

i heard all the time it too hot in the summer, this always seemed to be from snowbirds who only had visited in the summer. the first year it does take some getting used to but after time , ive been here 10 years it not as bad as at first, now when it 50° its downrite cold, but in NE id ride my motorcycle if it was that warm . so if it was full time here or nothing i took here

Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
You really want to heed TamRe sage advice. Rent for one year, explore areas and neighborhoods. You may be set on an area and discover that 50 miles up the road is the place for you.

There are many things I have learned in my near 30 years in Florida - it is vast, varied, diverse and there is something here for everyone. Enjoy!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 PM

95 posts, read 219,496 times
It's hot and humid here in the summer 90 + humidity it rains every day between 2 and 5 in the afternoon. It really doesn't last long. Plan you activities in the morning. By the middle of August you will be tired of it, I was last summer. But it seemed the weather turned nice all the sudden. You will see the most beautiful rainbows in the rainy season

Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I presume you mean Punta Gorda Isles as opposed to 'just' PG

you will not find a pool home under $215k as of today unless you go for something built in 1980.....
Just curious.....Why do you presume the OP means PGI as opposed to PG?

Gary

Old 01-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
We are a few years away from retirement, but are considering moving from the midwest to Florida.

I guess I have a few questions:

1) We're not sure if we want to live down there full-time, or just during the winter months. How difficult would it be to find a furnished rental home during the winter months in an area like Punta Gorda?

2) We aren't completely sure where we might want to live/rent. We have been to the Tampa area before, so we're pretty sure that we'd like to stay on the west coast of the state. Things we are looking for include a town with 1) good walking/biking trails, 2) a somewhat wide assortment of decent non-chain (seafood) restaurants, 3) a public library that has a pretty good collection of older DVDs available to watch, 4) a community with a mix of retirees, middle-aged people, and some younger people, and 5) within 30-45 minutes of the ocean. 5) If we decided to buy, we'd like to find a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with an outdoor pool for under $200k. I've done a bit of research, and it kind of sounds like Punta Gorda might fit what we're looking for.

Thanks for your help.
Your post pretty well describes Punta Gorda however I don't think finding the type of house you are looking for under $200 K is possible but it can be done for $250K...but I think that winow is closing very quickly.

Gary

Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM

14 posts, read 23,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
You really want to heed TamRe sage advice. Rent for one year, explore areas and neighborhoods. You may be set on an area and discover that 50 miles up the road is the place for you.

There are many things I have learned in my near 30 years in Florida - it is vast, varied, diverse and there is something here for everyone. Enjoy!

That is what is going to make our decision difficult.

We've spent some time in large cities, and there are some things in those areas that appeal to us (an abundance of non-chain restaurants, pro sports teams). However, we also appreciate the simplicity of smaller town life as well (less traffic, shorter travel times, etc.).

Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
That is what is going to make our decision difficult.

We've spent some time in large cities, and there are some things in those areas that appeal to us (an abundance of non-chain restaurants, pro sports teams). However, we also appreciate the simplicity of smaller town life as well (less traffic, shorter travel times, etc.).
Punta Gorda has a downtown with many small shops, art galleries restaurants and sidewalk cafes. It seems there are always different activities happening in the parks and throuout town.

Here is a link to the Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce: Home Page

Its a great resource for what's going on.

Gary

Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Is (or perhaps was) there a lot of "flipping" activity going in in PGI? I think every one of those damned rehab/flip tv shows that stoke the flipping fires should be shut off the air. Too many people think they can install a granite counter, a new toilet paper holder, paint a wall or two and presto! Untold riches! Meanwhile, vacant houses sit and do nothing but trade owners. That stuff kills neighborhoods. Seen it too many times. I'm glad the banks are ratcheting up lending requirements. It now means putting real money down, speculator leverage gets whacked, occupancy status scrutinized, etc.
Actually, that "ratcheting up" of lending requirements is really just putting back in place the requirements placed on potential homebuyers from years ago- as in when DH and I borrowed money to buy our houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte