Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,681 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me helpful information on relocating to the Port Charlotte area? I have looked into Port Charlotte, North Port, and Englewood. We are hoping to buy a home under $130,000. Are there any great neighborhoods that people favor or any to stay away from?? We plan on renting a vacation home untill we are able to find and close on a home. Are there any good sites to look for these short term houses? I have a son who will be in high school so any information on the high schools in the surrounding areas as well would be great! We are an active family like enjoys hiking, boating, swimming, pretty much anything outdoors. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Are you looking to be in a deed restricted community with HOA fees or do you want to live in a non-deed restricted area? If you want to be in a deed restricted neighborhood within your price range it would be the following communities - Jockey Club, Oak Hollow, Gardens of Gulf Cove, Palm Lake Estates. The other communities are all over your price range. There are plenty of single family homes in the $130k range in non-deed restricted areas.

North Port is in Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home
They have good schools and you can find something decent and a newer age in your price range. This will keep your homeowner insurance down.

Port Charlotte is in Charlotte County Schools - Charlotte County Public Schools Home Page
There are a variety of locations to choose from in your price range.

Englewood has locations in Sarasota and Charlotte County.

Here are some web sites to look for rental properties.
MLS - Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS
Craigslist - craigslist > sites
Vacation Rentals by Owner - VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner
Ebay Classifieds – eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) - Post & Search Free Local Classified Ads.
Florida Rental Ads – Florida Homes for Rent | Houses for Rent in Florida
Real Rentals – Houses For Rent - Apartment Rentals | RealRentals.com
Rentals.com – Houses for Rent - Find Rental Homes, Apartments, Condos, Lofts at Rentals.com
Rent Range – RentRange | Single and Multi Family Rental Estimates, Analytics and Rent Valuations
Sarasota Herald Tribune - Sarasota Florida news, weather, sports and business | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota FL
Sun Herald – Sun Newspapers Home Page

Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,969 times
You are making a good decision to come down before buying. There are still great buys down here! However Charlotte County is quite large and there are pockets of better and worse areas. You really need to look around first. When I was looking, I'd ride by the houses before going out with a realtor to get an idea of the area. Also, it's easy to cut your list from over 100 homes down to 20 or so to look at. Your realtor would appreciate that as well.
If I saw a neighbor outside, I would approach them. Keeping my distance until they accept that I'm not a criminal or anything like that. If someone approaches me, I always figure they want money or something I'm not able to help with. BUT if they want to know about the neighborhood, their not selling me anything or bumming for $$ and they appear decent, I'll spend hours with them. Became friends with a few from just doing that when we were looking as a buyer.
If you're concerned about the schools, once you find a home check out the feeder pattern. Then I would pay the school a visit, speak to the principal or VP (may have to schedule an appt) to get an idea on the school. Most in Charlotte Co are decent with underpaid staff that do it really for the kids. Yes there are some that just want a paycheck but my experience showed most are in it for the kids.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
for short term rentals -vacation homes.....try frbo / florida villa rentals/ villas 2000

Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 AM

9 posts, read 14,099 times
Do most of the areas in North Port have a HOA? I'm thinking about relocating. Do NOT want to deal with a HOA but would still like a nice neighborhood. This would be kind of an early retirement. TamRE ... you're a realtor, right? Are you a Buyer Broker?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 AM

the majority of NP doesn't have HOAs.

we live in a deed restricted area and I'm glad...when I see some of the s**t homes in non restricted areas it makes me cringe.

I don't want to be living next to the Dukes of Hazard with monster trucks, oversize sheds, boats and a yard fill of crap

Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyG12 View Post
Do most of the areas in North Port have a HOA? I'm thinking about relocating. Do NOT want to deal with a HOA but would still like a nice neighborhood. This would be kind of an early retirement. TamRE ... you're a realtor, right? Are you a Buyer Broker?
No, the majority of North Port is not in an HOA community.

Yes, I am a Realtor. All Florida Real Estate Licensees are considered transaction brokers unless a buyer or seller signs a separate agreement for single agent broker. A transaction broker is a broker who provides limited representation to a buyer, seller, or both, in a real estate transaction. A single agent is a broker who represents either the buyer or seller but not both in the same transaction.

Only real estate professionals who are members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® (NAR) can call themselves REALTORS®. All REALTORS® adhere to NAR’S strict Code of Ethics, which is based on professionalism and protection of the public. That’s why all real estate licensees are NOT the same. Whether you’re buying or selling a home – it pays to work with a REALTOR®.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I don't want to be living next to the Dukes of Hazard with monster trucks, oversize sheds, boats and a yard fill of crap
"Dem Dukes, dem Dukes, dem Dukes...." (Channelling my inner Boss Hogg)

Old 01-24-2014, 05:14 AM

mind you if Daisy was next door .........

and I bet the pool guy would be here hours too !!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:56 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyG12 View Post
There is no need to purchase where is an HOA if you are concerned about the quality of the neighborhood.
Deed restrictions in many locations serve the same purpose without the cost. Additionally I am In a development of homes with an HOA but the cost is only $660 per year.

Anytime you look at a property with an HOA I would recommend speaking with some residents about the HOA, in a deed restricted area or an HOA be sure you get a written copy of the restrictions and HOA regulations to be sure you can live with them.

Too often we hear of people who purchased and were not happy with the rules and regulations.

Also remember an HOA is a political governing body, when the work they work well when they don't work it can get very ugly.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte