Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnfitz View Post
Is there not a way to find out the FEMA BFE for a particular parcel? Shouldn't that be public information? I don't want to make an offer on a house unless I know the details of the elevation and I don't want to pay for a surveyor to do an Elevation Certificate on a home I haven't even made an offer on. Does the seller get this done when they list the house? If it's an old certificate how do I know that it has the current BFE as hasn't that just been redone by FEMA?
We just went through this exact same issue with a house we were interested in. Charlotte county's property appraiser site clearly lists the BFE on the parcel info page, however, Sarasota county does not and the FEMA website is a joke, only stating that the property lies in a flood zone. DUH! I know that!
Regardless, even if you know the BFE, if the current owner doesn't claim to have an elevation cert, then you're pretty much screwed. In our recent offer, I listed a contingency stating that I would pay for the $175 elevation survey, however, if it came back UNDER BFE, then the contract is void. They declined my offer (it's a 2-mortgage short sale and the bank's minimum they will short is WAY above fair market value, so it won't be going anywhere!)
Be very careful if buying along the gulf coast flood zones. Those FEMA maps are being updated now and will be released in the coming months. The greater Charlotte Harbor area is not currently scheduled for any updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,794 times
HH: thanks for the heads up for Charlotte website, that was very helpful. I see that the BFE on a place my wife and I were looking at in PGI is 10 feet. Presume I'd need to get an elevation cert to confirm that for insurance purposes (for the insurance company itself, assuming seller doesn't have one already), correct?

krnfitz, the link that HH referred to is here: https://www.ccappraiser.com/rp_real_search.asp?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,218 times
Don't forget FEMA is now looking at 14 to 15 feet BFE in there new maps coming out to be at the best rates after Sandy storm. I would go higher just so when they decide they need more money you would be covered.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,794 times
By "going higher" do you mean building higher for new construction?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
Don't forget FEMA is now looking at 14 to 15 feet BFE in there new maps.
Where did you see that?

Gary

Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
??? half of florida would be un-buildable !!!

Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
Don't forget FEMA is now looking at 14 to 15 feet BFE in there new maps coming out to be at the best rates after Sandy storm. I would go higher just so when they decide they need more money you would be covered.
misleading. You will NOT see 14-15ft BFE's anywhere in FL. Some will go higher, but not that extreme! Please don't post rumors. And, as stated, the Charlotte Harbor area is not even on the radar for map updates. IF they update this area, it will be YEARS down the road.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewi View Post
Russell Wilson was a Badger When you get down there, and when we get down there, then we will have to meet up!
Oh you don't have to tell me that!! I'm a HUGE Badger fan! I'm an alum, our daughter is an alum and was a cheerleader! Our love of Florida probably comes from the many trips down there for all the Bowl games when she was cheering!
yes, we will DEFINITELY have to meet up someday! (Sorry to hijack the thread. Talking Badger football will do that to me.)

Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
I once saw the Budweiser Clydesdales play football on. Super Bowl commercial but I never knew Badgers also played football.

That must be pretty entertaining, their not much bigger than the ball.

Gary

Old 02-12-2014, 02:29 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I once saw the Budweiser Clydesdales play football on. Super Bowl commercial but I never knew Badgers also played football.

That must be pretty entertaining, their not much bigger than the ball.

Gary
Yer a funny guy Gary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte