Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,312 times

Advertisements

We're looking to keep an out-of-state registered car in FL year round for when we visit or stay for extended periods. I can't find anything on the FL DMV website that speaks to whether we have to register the car (i.e. get FL plates) as a nonresident. Can we keep our existing out-of-state license plates?

I've asked my insurance co. about the implications (storage), which it sounds like we'll have to transfer policy to FL since the car will be there full time.

Any info on this would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 10:06 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times
I believe they consider your residence to be where you spend the majority of your time. If you take on work in the area, you are a "resident". If you are a resident, your car must be registered in Florida. Your insurance will also require a switch to a Florida policy.

I was pulled over twice for unrelated incidents in Florida with CT plates. Both times I paid a fine for having an out of state plate.

Lesson learned.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM

That's what the DMV website indicated--if you work in FL, then yes, car needs to be registered. Otherwise, what to do? Even called the Sheriff's office, they couldn't tell me the answer!

You were cited for having out of state plates and you're a nonresident? Why? What a goofy feedback loop: you can't be registered in two places and have two licenses....

We have friends who just wing it--they have FL license plates and drivers licenses, and go back to their "home" state during the offseason (they're only in FL for 3-4 months out of the year). Am guessing that's what a majority of people do, just winging it. At this point, absent any info, that's probably what we'll be doing.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:34 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,221 times
We have a NJ car down as well full time. I will transfer when we become residents. That was the advice given from a few local LEO's.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM

281 posts, read 405,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I was pulled over twice for unrelated incidents in Florida with CT plates. Both times I paid a fine for having an out of state plate.
Why? Are you a Fla. resident with no CT. address?

Old 10-18-2016, 12:36 PM

81 posts, read 97,458 times
good thread, I have a home in pg, and currently live in Illinois, I have a vehicle there full time with Illinois plates, which matches my dl, never been pulled over because of out of state plates, the thing I don't have for my second home, and future retirement home is the benefit for taxes for homestead,

Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM

81 posts, read 97,458 times
forgot this, I also have to buy an out of state fishing license, I cannot use my second homes address for license

Old 10-18-2016, 12:42 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,238 times
Just guessing here but I would think that where you are registered to vote would be considered your state of residence and so you should maintain a driver's license for that state too.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM

Yep. It's kind of ridiculous that they don't have a 2nd home category, and instead make you pay $50-60 (or whatever it is, I forget the exact amount I paid) per year if you're out of state.

Then again, it's a revenue generator, so not ridiculous in that context....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapalmnut64 View Post
forgot this, I also have to buy an out of state fishing license, I cannot use my second homes address for license

Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Why? Are you a Fla. resident with no CT. address?
Moved from CT to FL - but kept the plates as well as my license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte