Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 PM

57 posts, read 233,210 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, just wondering if someone could recommend a beach near the North Port/ Port Charlotte area that we could enjoy with three young children. I see a few different beaches in the Venice area, are there any notable differences in these? Would like to keep the drive as short as possible since the kids get a little yancy on long trips. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
I usually go up to Nokomis Beach with the kids. It's usually easy to find parking, they have a place to shower off before you jump in the car and the restrooms are close.

You could try Boca Grande Beach. It's $4 to cross the bridge and that beach is pretty deserted. The only thing with that beach is that it has a pretty strong riptide that runs through the south end.

Englewood Beach is pretty nice but it costs a few bucks to park and you're on a timer.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks Shannon, do you know if they have a playground or something in case the kids want to get away from the water for awhile? Also, is there anyplace you would recommend to eat around that area?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Yes, there is a playground at Nokomis Beach. I would recommend Pelican Alley just before you go over the bridge, if you like seafood.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM

40 posts, read 294,865 times
Englewood beach/Chadwick Park on Manasota Key. There's a play area with a pirate ship, public restrooms, and showers as well. You will need to pay to park, but you can purchase a year pass from the Florida Parks department.

chadwick park, englewood, florida - Google Maps

There are restaurants across the street as well as some convenience stores. It shouldn't take long to get there from Port Charlotte. No need to go all the way to Venice. Here's information about purchasing the parking pass for $43.40 a year. I have one I hang from the rear view mirror whenever we go to the beach and I don't have to pay the daily parking or hourly parking fee. Since we typically go to the beach every weekend we've saved way more than the purchase price:

Annual Pass » Florida State Parks

Last edited by wbowley; 02-19-2008 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Added park pass link.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM

Thanks wb, we tried Nokomis yesterday for the sunset and had a great time, we are looking forward to going to Englewood this weekend. Beaches in February, gotta love it!!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:07 AM

Glad you liked it! There are some great beaches around here. Are you sure you don't want to go back up there to that lovely freezing weather

Old 02-22-2008, 04:45 AM

363 posts, read 1,359,886 times
If you have the budget, I would check out South Beach restaurant at sunset on Boca Grande. I have been going here for the past 5 years since I found it in 2003, and it is a very rare experience... The restaurant sits right on a beautiful beach, some of the tables are right on the sand with the Gulf about 50 feet away. Kids everywhere digging, playing, some take the time to eat... Anyway, our party of 6 ate there last night. The food is very good, even the kids meals! Some meals expensive (you could always do lunch too), but the atmosphere, the gorgeous sun setting and everyone taking pictures and walking to and from their tables to the beach, it really is an amazing spot.

Another nice thing is every Thursday morning, the Methodist church on the island has a free pancake breakfast 8-10am, it is all homemade food, eggs, sausage, pancakes, grits, coffee, OJ, etc., it was filled with kids yesterday morning, then you walk across the street to the beach and the kids don't mind the cool Gulf this time of year, then you can walk one block past the methodist church into town and get an ice cream cone at the Pink Pony and window shop (look at the Brighton jewelry and handbags in the window at Fugates! Oooh or the cute clothes at Fresh Produce...) They have a playground right at the first stop sign coming on to the island, on the left on the property of the Gasparilla Inn, but it is open to all... where the kids can play in the shade, and mom can relax under the banyan trees... Anyway, you get the beach experience, free breakfast or a sunset dinner on the beach where kids are welcome to play in the sand and run around with full views... It is just beautiful here, you are very lucky to live nearby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte