U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:39 PM

4 posts, read 26,539 times

Advertisements

I am from Buckingham Pennsylvania, and I am moving to Punta Porda, I have read so many horrible things tonight . So many have said really bad things about Florida in other threads.
I have been going to Punta Gorda a few times a year now for 4 years. I have 8 year old twins. The schools here are all rated ten. And am nervous because I have read so many bad things about Florida schools. Crime is non existant here. I live in between NYC and Philadelphia. I will be waking up to freezing rain and snow tomorrow up untill Tuesday. (YUK!)
(I will NOT miss the snow) I love Florida; except for the bugs (especially the palmetto beetles dressed like monster cockroaches). The water at the Jersey Shore has aways been murkey and dark. And I never remember getting a parking space close. And I am not crazy about A/C. The drivers are crazy here. We are known for our 'potholes' We dont have any cows anymore. I cant afford an "outhouse" in my own hometown that I was born and raised (Carversville, Bucks County). The homes are all around 600,000 and up( six hundred thousand doesnt get you much)
Well...I am scared about the Florida schools. I am one of those, 'northeasteners' that was lucky enough to get a great education, and want that for my twins. I get good money and hope to make alittle more working part time as a stylist. Can anyone tell me if Sallie Jones is a good school? I have been researching Punta Gorda for years and like I said, I have been going down to Punta Gorda a few times a year. My friends live there.( since 1996). I dont have that' superior northern attitude' I keep reading about. I just want a good education and a good friendly place to live. My boys have a facination with fish(sharks,dolphins), fishing, and love swimming, riding bikes and all sports. I am partially disabled and single mom, and cant function in cold weather anymore. My friends want me to move to Punta Gorda. The realestate agents arent that friendly nor helpful and that makes me scared. I dont remember drivers being nasty down there like I have read, But they are up here!( major road rage). ***I guess I want to read great things about Punta Gorda....

Last edited by cosima; 12-02-2007 at 12:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 PM

354 posts, read 1,220,560 times
I live about 30 mins away in Venice but I always liked Punta Gorda. It's a safe place. Hurricaine Charley came thru in 2004 (which is an extreme rarity in that section of Fla. by the way). Just about everything is rebuilt and newer and shiner than ever. New schools etc... I can't vouch for school system but I think there are web sites that rank the schools. Punta Gorda actually straddles the Peace River. The North side blends in with Port Charlotte. I would watch where you live on that side, some neighborhoods are shaky. The south side is more retiree area than family. I'm not sure how many kids live there.

The Bugs are NOT a big deal. I used to hear the same thing but found there is more mosquitos in NH than here. Palmetto bugs are not around as much as you think.

Real Estate agents are kind of burnt out by the bubble burst and are not too enthusiastic. I think it's more depression than anything. You should be able to find a "real" agent. There has been too many that floated in to take advantage of the boom and now are dropping out. The long time agents know the deal.

Florida will be a culture shock but if you have been here before it won't surprise you.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:01 PM

231 posts, read 1,116,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosima View Post
I am from Buckingham Pennsylvania, and I am moving to Punta Porda, I have read so many horrible things tonight . So many have said really bad things about Florida in other threads.
I have been going to Punta Gorda a few times a year now for 4 years. I have 8 year old twins. The schools here are all rated ten. And am nervous because I have read so many bad things about Florida schools. Crime is non existant here. I live in between NYC and Philadelphia. I will be waking up to freezing rain and snow tomorrow up untill Tuesday. (YUK!)
(I will NOT miss the snow) I love Florida; except for the bugs (especially the palmetto beetles dressed like monster cockroaches). The water at the Jersey Shore has aways been murkey and dark. And I never remember getting a parking space close. And I am not crazy about A/C. The drivers are crazy here. We are known for our 'potholes' We dont have any cows anymore. I cant afford an "outhouse" in my own hometown that I was born and raised (Carversville, Bucks County). The homes are all around 600,000 and up( six hundred thousand doesnt get you much)
Well...I am scared about the Florida schools. I am one of those, 'northeasteners' that was lucky enough to get a great education, and want that for my twins. I get good money and hope to make alittle more working part time as a stylist. Can anyone tell me if Sallie Jones is a good school? I have been researching Punta Gorda for years and like I said, I have been going down to Punta Gorda a few times a year. My friends live there.( since 1996). I dont have that' superior northern attitude' I keep reading about. I just want a good education and a good friendly place to live. My boys have a facination with fish(sharks,dolphins), fishing, and love swimming, riding bikes and all sports. I am partially disabled and single mom, and cant function in cold weather anymore. My friends want me to move to Punta Gorda. The realestate agents arent that friendly nor helpful and that makes me scared. I dont remember drivers being nasty down there like I have read, But they are up here!( major road rage). ***I guess I want to read great things about Punta Gorda....
Here are a few words of advice:
1.) Don't move to Florida just for the weather.
2.) Make sure you have money/job before you go. The "affordable" complexes are very high crime. Only expensive/gated communities are safe. Florida cities tend to be either rich or poor, usually right next to each other.
Hope this helps...

Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,111,363 times
Sallie Jones is not as good as Deep Creek Elementary.

I would stay away from PGI & Punta Gorda. PG Isles is retirees & snowbirds. We lived there & had a 2 yr old. There are very few younger families. Punta Gorda is filled with some shady areas, especially right around Cooper St & where Sallie Jones is located.

Deep Creek is over the Peace Harbor & has more of a mix. Tremendous amount of homes for rent.

May want to discuss all your concerns & questions with your friends who live there. Since you've been to PG many times, surprised you don't already know the good & bad areas b/c it is quite a small town.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:10 PM

22 posts, read 110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
Here are a few words of advice:
1.) Don't move to Florida just for the weather.
2.) Make sure you have money/job before you go. The "affordable" complexes are very high crime. Only expensive/gated communities are safe. Florida cities tend to be either rich or poor, usually right next to each other.
Hope this helps...
3). Don`t expect to pay anything lower than 160 dollars for your light bill in a house during the summer (Thats if you have your AC on 78 during the extreme heat). If you lower it more, it will cost you more than 200 dollars that month and trust me, you gonna want that baby on at least 72-75 especially if you from the north.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM

wow, my friends dont have kids my age, their kids are in their 20's still up here. I am not moving, JUST for the weather, ( even tho I can barely exist up here, I have had 8 knee surgeries in 9 years, including total reconstruction on both) I make 40,000. NOT working. I actually want to open a business, in "The Loop"; maybe... I actually think I will do pretty good considering, I am in service. I want to open a hair salon, like I did here. ( NO, NOT an OVER priced SPA that no one can afford. I really good 'small' salon that does excellent cuts/color for the retired people or people on a fixed or small income ) ...
I kinda like PGI's historic oldness and closeness to the water and the parks. Its kinda like here , very historic and has oldness, (but we have yukky winters).
I HAVE read bad things about the schools. I am looking into the private one on Streve street. I like older people as I am 47. I used to own my own business here and worked hard, partied and traveled all over the world, so I want the very quiet life. I am not a clubber ; just a restaurant here and there, bike riding , and visits to the parks is mine and my kids speed, and of course sports and I want my own boat someday as we and my twins LOVE fishing and boating.
Thats why I thought PGI was ok.
I do not like PC or Deep Creek(sorry). I am not a development person, I greww up on a dirt road on a farm in Bucks County) which is why I kind of liked the 'townish' feel of PGI). You scared me with the 'bad areas tho, and no my friends didnt tell me.
I was there right after Charley hit. I cried.
I also was there right after Andrew hit SoBe. I cried then as well (I had friends that lived there as well.
I have family in Boca and Deerfield. And I used to own in Wellington, but never moved in.
Divorce made us sell four years ago).
I am not thinking of moving to just move back here or anywhere else.
I lived here my whole life and just cannot function because I literally am in too much pain in the cold. Can you tell me anymore about PGI? And our summers are over 100 dgrees in August
and I love Siesta Key, but it is too far from my friends but I am still looking into it, I cant decide.
what do you think?????

Last edited by cosima; 12-03-2007 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,605 times
I myself am going to PGI for at least two months. I bought a condo there in 2004, painted and carpeted it and then Charley hit. I was devastated. I was there four days later and had to really rough it. I have been there many times since renovating my place and I can't wait to get down there now. My brother has lived there for 20 years and loves it -- he plays golf about three times a week. I am ready for warm weather as I currently live in Chicago. PGI is a wonderful place to live if you don't mind a smaller town. I have wanted to live in a smaller town for a long time. Fisherman's Village and Gilchrist Park are favorites of mine. I have made some nice friends there as everyone is very friendly. I think you will like it -- what's not to like.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 PM

hey thanx mabster... I come from a town with less than 8000. I love Fishermans Village and Gilchrist park as well.
New Hope, Pa is a very 'tourist' town with restaurants and little shops and antique stores. The peek is the summer and virtually empty and cold in the winter. PGI is the opposite, empty in the summer, which is perfect for me when the boys are off from school and we can go Disney/Sea World bound and home for the summers!!!
I am sorry to hear about your home being hit by Charley. My friends had some damage to their home as well.
After reading what you wrote, it made me happy as I am shocked at all the Florida bashers on these threads. It has given me a stomach ache! (( I checked the PA threads and alot bash PA, but its the areas that are west of me. Our area is mainly for NYC'ers that commute.))
I checked the schools tho, and I am certain I am sending them to private.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM

7,066 posts, read 8,216,487 times
Double check that opening your own business won't jeopardize the 40K a year disability payout you're getting. If it is via a private disability policy, they may no longer consider you disabled if you are able to work in your own business.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 PM

I am a single mom, I wrote... I have twins that will be 8 soon. The money I get is 'Child Support'. I am for real disabled. I was run over by a speeding car and had to learn to walk again; twice.... and had my 8th knee surgery just 3 months ago. I would not and would never commit insurance fraud.
I was discriminated against by not being able the use of a stylist chair to cut hair. So to work, I need to make my own. Plus I need to put my children thru college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte