U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 AM

15 posts, read 18,170 times

Advertisements

My family has been discussing relocated from my area outside of Pittsburgh Pa for several years. We have been to Florida several times and love the gulf coast area. I realize our situations there have been more touristy than actually living there so I was hoping to get some input. My husband and I are in our early 30s and we have 2 children who are 11 and 9 so good schools are important to me. We would love to live in an area with several family oriented things to do. I have checked the job market and it seems every place I look has several offering for things we are qualified in, is any place in particular very bad in this aspect? Is there something that is going to cost a ton of money that might surprise me? What areas would you avoid safety wise? It seems the areas I have looked are around this area have pretty affordable housing, anyplace lower than others or higher to avoid? I think our income lever is pretty on par for the area, we make about $80k a year combined. Thank a lot for any suggestions you have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,533,942 times
Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte are in Charlotte County. Punta Gorda Isles has higher priced homes compared to Port Charlotte or North Port. One thing that will make a difference is if you are in a flood zone and require flood insurance. Other than that the costs are pretty similar. North Port has more newer homes and good schools in Sarasota County. North Port has a lot of activities for kids and is closer to the beaches than Punta Gorda. This entire area has a low crime rate. Larger cities such as Sarasota and Ft. Myers have more crime than here.

Would you be looking to move into a community with deed restrictions and homeowner association fees or are you looking to be in a non-deed restricted general neighborhood?

Here are some links to read about the area and schools:
City and County Offices

Charlotte County - Charlotte County BCC

Sarasota County - https://www.scgov.net/

City of Punta Gorda - City of Punta Gorda Florida

City of North Port - City of North Port, FL : Home

City of Venice - Welcome to the official Website of City of Venice, FL

Chamber of Commerce

Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce - Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce || Port Charlotte, Florida

Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce - Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce: Home Page

North Port Chamber of Commerce - http://www.northportareachamber.com/

Venice Chamber of Commerce - Venice Area Chamber of Commerce > Home

Englewood Chamber of Commerce - Englewood Chamber of Commerce

Schools

Charlotte County Public Schools - http://yourcharlotteschools.net/

Sarasota County Public Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home

Other

Charlotte County New Resident Information - http://www.charlottecountychamber.or...nformation.pdf

Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association - Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - CDBIA

Florida Homeowner Associations - Login

Moving to Florida - MyFlorida.com - Home

Sarasota County Crime Mapping - CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Charlotte County Crime Statistics - Crime Statistics

Florida Sex Offender Search - FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators

Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaemixter View Post
My family has been discussing relocated from my area outside of Pittsburgh Pa for several years. We have been to Florida several times and love the gulf coast area. I realize our situations there have been more touristy than actually living there so I was hoping to get some input. My husband and I are in our early 30s and we have 2 children who are 11 and 9 so good schools are important to me. We would love to live in an area with several family oriented things to do. I have checked the job market and it seems every place I look has several offering for things we are qualified in, is any place in particular very bad in this aspect? Is there something that is going to cost a ton of money that might surprise me? What areas would you avoid safety wise? It seems the areas I have looked are around this area have pretty affordable housing, anyplace lower than others or higher to avoid? I think our income lever is pretty on par for the area, we make about $80k a year combined. Thank a lot for any suggestions you have!

I think it really depends on what type of things you enjoy and your budget for housing. For instance, if you live more than like 25 minutes from the beach and that's something you enjoy, you probably wont make it there as often as you may like to.

I too, have a 9 year old (as well as children a little older). My 9 year old goes to Vineland Elementary in Charlotte county. If I had a choice I would stick to Sarasota county schools.

There are lots of activities for kids in North Port. My little one is involved in gymnastics. We've done baseball, North Port Youth Soccer, Tae Kwon Do, Dance, rowing and probably a few other things I have forgotten. My older girl likes to go to the skate park and bike park in North Port. All of these activities are either in North Port or within a reasonable distance.

The average age in North Port is 40, so it's lower compared to nearby Venice where it's in the late 60's. Although Venice is closer to the beaches and I like the schools better there. So, I think there's going to have to be some give and take.

Here is a blog I wrote about some of the local schools: //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...y-schools.html Take a look at some of the links and comments on this blog and it should get you going in the right direction.

Hmmm...ton of money, well flood insurance, possibly, if you are required to hold it. 90% of North Port does not require flood insurance, currently, so the cost of obtaining it is much less. There are lot of things to consider when looking at homes and factoring in insurance rates.

Another thing might get expensive is air conditioning in the summer. Generally, the newer/more insulated your home is the cheaper your bill will be. We keep ours at 80 but I'm a native Floridian and the heat doesn't bother me much. I know when we have guests from the north they think it's pretty hot.

As far as price wise, in general, you're going to find higher prices in Sarasota and then probably lower in Venice, then North Port then Port Charlotte. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, like Casey Key, for example, located in the Nokomis area, south of Sarasota and north of Venice. That key has one of the highest priced properties around. Most of the barrier islands are pretty expensive. Pretty much every city has it's better area and an area that not the best.

What areas did you visit when you were here? What areas did you find appealing? SW FL has a lot of towns to chose from. You might want to make a few trips down here to do more investigating or possibly consider renting for a short time while you do some more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte