Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM

180 posts, read 277,061 times

Advertisements

OK...as the time nears to finally pull the plug and retire, we are getting nervous. Financially we are fine and don't need to work, and yes I know that this is not the place to move to if we need to work, but we are used to keeping busy. I am also one of the lucky ones who loves my job, so that plays into it. But I hate winter (and if I had any doubts, this winter put them to rest) more than I love my job, so yes, I will retire. And I know how pathetic this sounds and I hope by the time retirement rolls around we will have lost our urge to feel like we have to "do something". I am in IT but I doubt I would find that in this area. The state I live in has a central job search run by the state where you can search by area. I can't seem to find anything like that in Florida? Does anybody know?

Last edited by sunshinewi; 02-24-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewi View Post
OK...as the time nears to finally pull the plug and retire, we are getting nervous. Financially we are fine and don't need to work, and yes I know that this is not the place to move to if we need to work, but we are used to keeping busy. I am also one of the lucky ones who loves my job, so that plays into it. But I hate winter (and if I had any doubts, this winter put them to rest) more than I love my job, so yes, I will retire. And I know how pathetic this sounds and I hope by the time retirement rolls around we will have lost our urge to feel like we have to "do something". I am in IT but I doubt I would find that in this area. The state I live in has a central job search run by the state where you can search by area. I can't seem to find anything like that in Florida? Does anybody know?
I see a lot of older folks flipping burgers, bagging groceries, and working in the big box stores, so I suppose those jobs are available.

DH and I are retired but I do contract work for a medical continuing education company- done at home, requiring only an internet connection and my laptop, besides the book or publications I'm working on ( test questions), and some writing of CEU courses. It's mostly done at times I determine- very laid back employers, so I can put it aside as I need to to do other things, and I'm paid by my reported hours. Works for me.

There are a lot of older folks doing volunteer work around here too- keeps you as busy as you like, if you're not depending on working to make ends meet.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 PM

180 posts, read 277,061 times
Travellassie - your job sounds ideal. I know IT people often work from home. I have had the same job for 30 years so I have no idea how to go about looking for something like that. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
I do plan on doing some volunteer work also. Although I am used to a computer and not people. Time flies when I'm doing my own thing.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:10 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Here are some sites that might be helpful in your search:

Florida jobs - www.employflorida.com
State of Florida jobs - https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/pe...A==)/logon.htm
Charlotte County jobs - Charlotte County Employment - Charlotte County
Sarasota County jobs - https://www.scgov.net/HR/Pages/Caree...rtunities.aspx

Other job search sites: Manatee County Free Job Employment Career Database Search, Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com, Jobs & Job Search Advice, Employment & Careers | Careerbuilder.com, Sun Newspapers Home Page, Sarasota Florida news, weather, sports and business | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte