Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM

54 posts, read 127,968 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Ft Myers on business at the end of the month only for a couple of days. I'll be spending a day up in Punta Gorda and wondering if they have an abundance of fishing charters available. I'll be alone looking to go on a half day trip and hoping I can catch on with someone at a marina looking to fill his boat. Is such a thing possible here or would I have better luck in Ft Myers? Also any charter recommendations? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley615 View Post
I'll be in Ft Myers on business at the end of the month only for a couple of days. I'll be spending a day up in Punta Gorda and wondering if they have an abundance of fishing charters available. I'll be alone looking to go on a half day trip and hoping I can catch on with someone at a marina looking to fill his boat. Is such a thing possible here or would I have better luck in Ft Myers? Also any charter recommendations? Many thanks!
Call Fishin' Franks, just north of the route 41 North Bridge. He has a lot of charter captains there who can probably work you in. 941-625-3888 They are without a doubt the most knowledgeable fishing people around the harbor!!

Good Luck! I caught two Black Tip Sharks yesterday, as well as several rays and skates.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,654 times
I'd give Fishin' Franks a call. They have a few charters they deal with. Fishin' Frank's

edit: BH beat me to it.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Okay so you got the best advice on here....now all you gotta do is report back us on how you do, while fishing our little piece of paradise. Enjoy.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Okay so you got the best advice on here....now all you gotta do is report back us on how you do, while fishing our little piece of paradise. Enjoy.
Not quite - We need proof. We have all heard the "stories" you tell… LOL
One thing he should really do, is fish a couple areas, and really press the guide so he can LEARN the techniques of fishing down here, if he wants to be successful (like me). And, of course, he needs to know how to stack his cooler properly. It gets hot out there sometimes.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 AM

54 posts, read 127,968 times
LOL! The best thing I do is stock the cooler! Thanks for the advice everyone. Fishin Franks it is, and I'll certainly report back hopefully with a good "story."

Old 04-04-2014, 12:38 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Link to Fishin' Franks - Fishin' Frank's

Link to King Fisher out of Fishermens Village in Punta Gorda - King Fisher Fleet *Home - Cruising and Fishing in Southwest Florida

Old 04-07-2014, 06:25 AM

55 posts, read 235,403 times
Not all guides are the same....anyone can get a 6 pack license and call themselves a guide. As someone who fishes for snook and redfish regularly and does very successful, I still learn a ton taking out a good, local guide once in a while. I use Tom Fisher from Fishbone Charters (941-628-4687). He is a local guy born and raised on Charlotte Harbor. Every time I go with him I am just amazed at the quality of fish we catch. He is always on time, shows up with a bait-well full of live bait (some of the other guides actually cast net while you are heading out which makes you lose fishing time), and gives you a true experience of the flats. If you use any of the guides out of fisherman's village you'll be fishing the canals of Punta Gorda with shrimp. I've used 5 different guides down here and always use Tom when I have family in town and really want them to catch some big fish.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:05 PM

13 posts, read 18,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I'd give Fishin' Franks a call. They have a few charters they deal with. Fishin' Frank's

edit: BH beat me to it.
The link to that website is awesome. Great in-depth knowledge of some of the local fishing holes. We just bought a lot and will be down 2 weeks this summer in a rental home. I am definitely going to check out some of those places and Fishin' Franks too, while there.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saildawg View Post
The link to that website is awesome. Great in-depth knowledge of some of the local fishing holes. We just bought a lot and will be down 2 weeks this summer in a rental home. I am definitely going to check out some of those places and Fishin' Franks too, while there.
Fishing down here is much different in many ways from fishing up north. It is well worth your time to understand that, and maybe pay for a guide to learn this area. The seasons for fishing different fish species is also important to understand. You will learn different rigging set ups, and baits and style of fishing for the different species of fish you target as well. But, keep in mind, I always say, everything eats shrimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte