Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,421,760 times

Advertisements

Any construction during the 90s may be suspect. Easily detectable by the sharp odor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,130,597 times
yes it was Chinese Drywall....Restrain's timescale is slightly off, it started coming into the US in 2001/2 but the main part was during the boom of 2004- and to repair the damage done by Katrina

that's not to say that any homes may not have it if any remodelling was done around that time

by now any home with it should stink like rotten eggs, one of the ones we went in , you couldn't stay in for 5 minutes without your eyes streaming. there are also tell tale signs on any electric of plumbing copper/wiring.

I would think by now any home that has it, it should be darn obvious. nasty

Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 AM

472 posts, read 664,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
It's Chinese Drywall and I think I know what house the Sunshine's are talking about. LOL
What's the deal about Chinese Dry Wall? Is it really that bad? I am not very superficial person. For example, I don't believe proximity to powerline have any effect to health. However, I would never buy a property that has potential effect to health.

Anybody can suggest how to replace a broken window? I don't know how window works. Is there any standard sizes for windows so that you can just buy from HD and replace it by yourself?

Thanks and cheers!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,130,597 times
is it bad..no...awful yes

it emits fumes that are so nasty you struggle to breathe, it makes your eyes stream....
it corrodes electric wiring

you have to totally remediate and replace, bill will be 1000s of $$$

I will give you the best bit of free advice ever...avoid like the plague

if you don't know how to replace a window...hire an expert . in the long run it will save you money.....

Old 04-18-2014, 12:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
What's the deal about Chinese Dry Wall? Is it really that bad? I am not very superficial person. For example, I don't believe proximity to powerline have any effect to health. However, I would never buy a property that has potential effect to health.

Anybody can suggest how to replace a broken window? I don't know how window works. Is there any standard sizes for windows so that you can just buy from HD and replace it by yourself?

Thanks and cheers!
Chinese drywall out gases sulfuric gases that are harmful to your health. It is very corrosive to all metals in your hous (if you have it). It attacks fin coils in hvac units the copper wiring in your house and devices, hinges, knobs, and even nails and truss plates will begin to corrode, rust, and prematurely deteriorate. It can cause significant health - provided one can stand living in the house that has it. There are many huge law suits resulting from its use! You don't want the future liability of owning a house that had Chinese drywall - you cannot brush your hands off if someone's health is injured.

As for the windows, it doesn't sound like you have enough experience to just size a window and replace on. Some windows require tempered glass. With the harsh sun we sometimes get you may need Low-E glass or another shading coefficient, and then there are flashing concerns, anchoring, and wind requirements that are now imposed depending on where it's to be installed. Trying to save a few bucks on labor and doing a poor job on the windows is just not worth it (for the average guy). There are standard sizes, but not all windows are standard sizes, and rough opening requirements sometimes varies between different window manufactures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte