Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,599,180 times

Advertisements

Awesome, what do they do with the interior of the pool, do they spray a color on it or something else? Thanks for the update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,765,909 times
There is another concrete surface sprayed in. There are many options to spend extra money on that surface but we elected the standard quartz white with blue pepper accents. You could drop up $3k extra on your surface with some of the pebble tech finishes in a variety of colors. We didn't.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm just excited about figuring out how to post multiple photos.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:38 PM

390 posts, read 606,497 times
When's the party?!

Old 06-29-2014, 03:22 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,364,373 times
Looks beautiful. I really like the pavers.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 AM

191 posts, read 298,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Wow...the skill set of this paver crew is mind blowing. The are fast and good. One is from Mexico, one from Guatamala and one from Brazil. The safety professional in me cringed at them not using water with the saw, as I know the real threat the crystalline silica dust presents but I wasn't about to stop them because they would think I was loco. No masks, no safety glasses or shields and no ear protection.

Those are the same guys who finished my pavers a week ago. I was somewhat flabbergasted by the complete lack of personal protection for eyes, ears, and especially for the lungs. Now I know why the pool building crew taped off all my window and door openings before the paver guys started. And just when I thought I'd seen it all, he starts cutting the pavers by balancing one across another and holding it steady with one foot. The blade on that gas powered masonry saw was literally right next to his foot. But I suppose missing half a foot or an eye is nothing compared to silicosis. For hours all 3 of them were out there in something that reminded me of a lake effect snowstorm where I used to live.

BTW, I've finished all 12 of my alarms. If you need any info on alarms, let me know (my alarm question thread pretty much went nowhere). Hint, don't wait till the last minute to buy them. It appears the pool building biz is running WOT, and the alarms are selling like hotcakes. It looks like my final inspection will be early this week.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:00 AM

Yeah, you called it. The skills were nothing short if brilliant but their personal safety was buffoonery. I have one guy on my home surveillance video making a challenging cut by propping the concrete saw up with pavers, somehow rigged the trigger to run full throttle without being manned, and he kneels before the blade with both hands on the paver cutting a free form circular cut. I'm going to saving that clip for my OSHA 10 & 30 hour construction safety classes. (Yes, I'm an outreach instructor and had to bear witness to that). That's second in danger to the worst I've ever seen: post Superstorm Sandy cleanup, a tree crew using a huge chipper on Long Island NY. When it was time to move from one pile to the next, this big man climbed into the hopper, knees first as the truck driver drove to the next pile, all the while the chipper drums and blades churning. I snapped a photo because I knew no one would believe it. He wasn't our employee for another 24 hours before the acquisition closed but I reamed the entire crew that day and told them if they wanted to keep their jobs and lives, they'd better change their ways.

71RR thanks for the tips on the alarms. I will pick mine up. Who did your pool and where are your pictures?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:08 AM

325 posts, read 505,477 times
Hands down the best looking paver job I have seen. Congrats MA

Old 06-29-2014, 11:44 AM

182 posts, read 239,243 times
Wow, looking awesome!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM

During yesterday's rain I noticed the pool deck drains did a good job of draining the deck but where it dumped into a planter bed, it had no where to go and quickly pooled. Last year I put in a French drain that solved a pooling water problem on the side of my house, near my office. Today I teed off of that same drain and put a collection port directly beneath the pool drain. Problem solved. Contractor may have done this but I didn't want to wait. Parts only cost $30 and a few hours of my labor. I used extra pavers to pretty it up.

Here's a picture, with duct tape covering the drain to keep dirt out. Tonight's downpour proved a good test.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Big Wet Dream (pool construction from start to finish)-image.jpg  

Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,823,061 times
WOW. Looks great!! Ill be over soon for the pool party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte