Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:17 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,849,040 times

Advertisements

You can find a home in North Port for $90K. There are currently 79 homes under 90K right now. Most are built in the 70's and 80's and smaller. There are 2 though that are 2000 or newer.

nphomeowner is correct, prices have been going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,359,778 times
I knew you would have the facts! I guess it depends on which part of north port also.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 PM

14 posts, read 25,480 times
HOA's are prone to a form of dictatorship eventually. They are almost always a click, known each other and have similar ideals. The ones who disagreed where pushed out long ago. HOA's have the ability to change the rules at any time without recourse, HOA's also determine improvements and upkeep for you and their decision may be an expensive one or cheaper one depending on how you do things. No matter, you have to live with it. You have federal laws, state laws, city laws and now you can fork over 300k for a home of condo only to find out a guy named Stan also has laws for you to follow. The idea that HOA's protect values is a half truth. All cities have their own codes, so if Big Bob is parking his 10 wheeler in street my guess is in "nicer" cities there is an ordinance. That also goes for lawncare, fences, additions, you name it. Only HOA Stan comes up with laws like leaving shoes in front of the door, how long your garage door can stay open, how many visitors you can have or whatever else irritates Stan's life.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,119,833 times
I suggest you drive up Sunnybrook in Rotonda or some of the back streets in Port Charlotte and then debate the merits of HOAs...........cos I don't see any city ordinances at work in those locations !

Maybe Stan can sort them out :-)

BTW HOAs cannot just change rules , ours has to have an approval voted on and approved by a clear majority of the residents

Old 01-07-2015, 04:18 AM

281 posts, read 403,454 times
But on the plus side Stan doesn't like blue tarp covered piles of skids,abandoned RVs, junk boats and allowing your property to look like a Hillbilly scrap yard.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,259,174 times
I agree with you MMSS.. farrrrrr too much mis-information is spread around erroneously about HOA and City Ordinances... as far as "city ordinances" go.. Port Charlotte is NOT a City and there by relinquishes a lot of Aesthetic control to Home Owners and RENTERS.. We in CC anyway, see a lot of Substandard Landlords .. Oh I'm Sorry , I mean absentee Landlords.. Just a few issues that took MONTHS to straighten out and one that is on going.. because "some people feel its normal/acceptable behavior " House on the corner of Collingswood and OHara Multiple Tractors ( the truck portion of tractor Trailer) sitting in the yard ( rental) Midway just south of 41 again Tractor using front yard for parking lot. Collingswood again .. House fire , occupants graciously allowed to live in Trailer in front yard while home is repaired took well over a year.. House Now done, trailer still sits in front yard. Homes scattered around the area, where the home owner feels it unimportant to fix or repair or maintain his home and or yard and feels as is well that having numerous broken down toys boats cars etc etc strewn around in, what SHOULD be his yard is His Constitutional Right .. THAT ATTITUDE can grow like a Cancer.. Like Cancer It can appear anywhere and anytime where there are No Written Rules in effect to control it. I see it the same as I see the red light cameras and speed cameras.. The Only ones complaining are those who break the rules often.. Thats where PUD's with HOA's like you see in PGI keep all that from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I suggest you drive up Sunnybrook in Rotonda or some of the back streets in Port Charlotte and then debate the merits of HOAs...........cos I don't see any city ordinances at work in those locations !

Maybe Stan can sort them out :-)

BTW HOAs cannot just change rules , ours has to have an approval voted on and approved by a clear majority of the residents

Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,009,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I agree with you MMSS.. farrrrrr too much mis-information is spread around erroneously about HOA and City Ordinances... as far as "city ordinances" go.. Port Charlotte is NOT a City and there by relinquishes a lot of Aesthetic control to Home Owners and RENTERS.. We in CC anyway, see a lot of Substandard Landlords .. Oh I'm Sorry , I mean absentee Landlords.. Just a few issues that took MONTHS to straighten out and one that is on going.. because "some people feel its normal/acceptable behavior " House on the corner of Collingswood and OHara Multiple Tractors ( the truck portion of tractor Trailer) sitting in the yard ( rental) Midway just south of 41 again Tractor using front yard for parking lot. Collingswood again .. House fire , occupants graciously allowed to live in Trailer in front yard while home is repaired took well over a year.. House Now done, trailer still sits in front yard. Homes scattered around the area, where the home owner feels it unimportant to fix or repair or maintain his home and or yard and feels as is well that having numerous broken down toys boats cars etc etc strewn around in, what SHOULD be his yard is His Constitutional Right .. THAT ATTITUDE can grow like a Cancer.. Like Cancer It can appear anywhere and anytime where there are No Written Rules in effect to control it. I see it the same as I see the red light cameras and speed cameras.. The Only ones complaining are those who break the rules often.. Thats where PUD's with HOA's like you see in PGI keep all that from happening.
While I don't plan on parking any tractor trailers in my yard I do expect to be able to park my boat in the driveway a few weeks a year (at most) to do maintenance, park my decent looking pickup truck in my driveway, have a motorcycle or two in my garage, keep a boat trailer and a large shed hidden in the backyard and have a nice fire pit out back by the water.

Not everyone in a HOA has the same ideals as you might, and what you consider acceptable others may not. To each his own.

I would never live in an HOA community. You can have those stuck up snobs who want to tell you what color to paint your house and what you are allowed to drive. I'd rather find a very nice neighborhood with no HOA. There are plenty.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,511,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
While I don't plan on parking any tractor trailers in my yard I do expect to be able to park my boat in the driveway a few weeks a year (at most) to do maintenance, park my decent looking pickup truck in my driveway, have a motorcycle or two in my garage, keep a boat trailer and a large shed hidden in the backyard and have a nice fire pit out back by the water.

Not everyone in a HOA has the same ideals as you might, and what you consider acceptable others may not. To each his own.

I would never live in an HOA community. You can have those stuck up snobs who want to tell you what color to paint your house and what you are allowed to drive. I'd rather find a very nice neighborhood with no HOA. There are plenty.
But when you move into a deeded community, you should know what your getting into, and you should be familiar with the HOA's form of government. So, those who buy into it are all on board with the rules. The primary problem I can see is petty politics within the community.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,771,051 times
I lived with a h O A that said were i could park my boat setback on front and side
Its where i wanted to park but some dont even let you park a boat let alone a trailer.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,259,174 times
YOU can ( Park your Boat) on the SIDE of hour house where I live too.. But I FULLY UNDERSTAND why some say NO! Come On Folks.. its pretty obvious..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
I lived with a h O A that said were i could park my boat setback on front and side
Its where i wanted to park but some dont even let you park a boat let alone a trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte