Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 PM

281 posts, read 406,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I would never live in an HOA community.
I was 110% of that same opinion. Until I came to the area to buy a house. I found the house online that had everything we wanted. I flew down with checkbook in pocket. Great place but in every direction around it where properties where the people were starting their own storage or scrap yards. Go to my backup house and that one has a contractor with trucks, scaffolding etc. all over the property right across the street.

Looked at one more in another popular area community and 100 yards down the street was what looked like a home boat service yard. I went home very frustrated and without a house.

Even though I hate what an HOA can turn into, after much more research we decided to buy in an area with one.

With the totally lax regulations of Charlotte Co. or the lack of enforcement, buying in a neighborhood that is currently nice is no guarantee of the future.

I am not trying to be some snob. I really wanted a property where I could park my RV for a week or my boat in the off season but in a manner where I did not offend my neighbors. But not everyone seems to care about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
So True! That is my only complaint about PGI, not being able to have my boat in my driveway, but I do see some neighbors push that a little. I purposely put 9' garage doors to park a truck inside if need be.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Just imagine what your neighborhood would look like, if every other house had a boat sitting in the driveway months at a time some times for YEARS at a time and not moving.. YOU have it right now, but their all on Boatlifts.. Your telling us You Would Have Liked That Look? Your telling us you would have paid $300,000.00 to $750,000.00 for THAT LOOK? Really? Sorry I dont buy it.. What I do buy and I do not blame you at all I find no fault with your true desires. You bought in PGI because you dont want those people living near you, that want sheds in the back yard and boats on the side of the house or in the driveway and you sure dont want YOUR Neighbor parking his Companies Fully Cartoon Illustrated Step Van in his driveway right across from your house.. I say That because You paid a lot of extra money for the exact same house you could have found elsewhere ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
So True! That is my only complaint about PGI, not being able to have my boat in my driveway, but I do see some neighbors push that a little. I purposely put 9' garage doors to park a truck inside if need be.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 PM

However Imagine if you lived in PGI Full Time and Every Snow Bird in PGI parked their boat in the side yard or in the driveway hahahahaha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I was 110% of that same opinion. Until I came to the area to buy a house. I found the house online that had everything we wanted. I flew down with checkbook in pocket. Great place but in every direction around it where properties where the people were starting their own storage or scrap yards. Go to my backup house and that one has a contractor with trucks, scaffolding etc. all over the property right across the street.

Looked at one more in another popular area community and 100 yards down the street was what looked like a home boat service yard. I went home very frustrated and without a house.

Even though I hate what an HOA can turn into, after much more research we decided to buy in an area with one.

With the totally lax regulations of Charlotte Co. or the lack of enforcement, buying in a neighborhood that is currently nice is no guarantee of the future.

I am not trying to be some snob. I really wanted a property where I could park my RV for a week or my boat in the off season but in a manner where I did not offend my neighbors. But not everyone seems to care about that.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times
The choice to live in a deed restricted community is pretty simple: if you don't like it, don't do it.

The vegetation restrictions at PGI/BSI are a little silly (specifying the number of shrubs for example), but whatever. That stuff doesn't give me a hissy fit.

I'd love to know what the HOA has said about a house in PGI on Whipporwhill near Bobwhite. It's like a combo of My Big Fat Greek Wedding meets Honey Boo Boo, complete with PVC pipe fence and a couple of Virgin Mary's in the yard.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:33 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Like it or not this is a boating community, in my opinion anyway. If you chose to look at it as "God's waiting room" that is your choice. Many of us moved here from the north so we can BOAT all year round. If you don't want to see a boat in someone's driveway once in a while move to the center of the country, like Iowa or Kansas. If you choose to live on the water just because you want the scenery, well, ya better expect boats to be there. I guarantee you will find more boats in most of Northport and Arcadia's driveways than any in PC or PG because they must be trailered.

Boats and pickup trucks are just the tip of the iceberg with HOA's. Next thing you know they are telling you what type of plants you can plant or what color you must paint your house.....Oh wait, they already do that.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post

With all do respect, searching prices online and actually seeing different neighborhoods in person is a world of difference. A little real research goes a long way in finding the right neighborhood that will have little of what you dislike with the ability to still do what you like when you want/need to do it. There are PLENTY of areas like that.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Just imagine what your neighborhood would look like, if every other house had a boat sitting in the driveway months at a time some times for YEARS at a time and not moving.. YOU have it right now, but their all on Boatlifts.. Your telling us You Would Have Liked That Look? Your telling us you would have paid $300,000.00 to $750,000.00 for THAT LOOK? Really? Sorry I dont buy it.. What I do buy and I do not blame you at all I find no fault with your true desires. You bought in PGI because you dont want those people living near you, that want sheds in the back yard and boats on the side of the house or in the driveway and you sure dont want YOUR Neighbor parking his Companies Fully Cartoon Illustrated Step Van in his driveway right across from your house.. I say That because You paid a lot of extra money for the exact same house you could have found elsewhere ..
You have no clue why I bought in PGI so please don't elaborate on why I bought or what I want!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:34 PM

I appologize Searay.. Its wasnt REALLY meant to single you out. "You" was used as a general consensus.. I worked for years as a Planning Board Commissioner and I stated the general function of PUD/HOA..Again Dont take it personal it wasnt meant to be personal .. I'll even edit the "you" out of my post but the primary objective of the PUD/HOA is pretty much as I stated .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
You have no clue why I bought in PGI so please don't elaborate on why I bought or what I want!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM

I understand your reasoning of the HOA, but I will say you should really re-read your posts before you comment because you do come off over the top when this is supposed to be a forum to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte