Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM

36 posts, read 85,342 times

Advertisements

Hello, My wife and I are about to take the ¨Leap of faith¨ and purchase a condo / townhouse / villa in Florida. We are looking in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, North Port and Venice.

I am a disabled veteran so no golf courses for me but it would be nice to be able to purchase and use a street legal golf cart. Would also help on GASOLINE costs.

MY QUESTION, Is there one area where residents use gold carts for transportation more than others to go to the store, restaurants etc ... ie Punta Gorda vs Port Charlotte ? I remember visiting a friend on the Atlantic side in Palm Coast and it seemed like everyone was using them instead of cars.

Also, we would use our condo 6 months out of the year. The properties we have seen have no garages so if you are using a cart, where are you storing it when you are away ?

THANKS !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 01:27 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Kings Gate is a 55+ golf community in Port Charlotte. They have villas and single family homes. You do not have to be a member of the golf club. They allow you to drive the golf cart out of the community to the local strip mall behind the community. It has a grocery store, dollar store, drug store and more. I don't really know of any other locations that allow you to drive it outside of the community or on the streets. Only the streets within the community itself.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM

OK, thanks. I read up on Florida law and if the cart is certified as ¨Street Legal¨ then you can use them on the road as long as the street has a maximum speed limit of 35mph.

Here is the link. The key to this law is the golf cart MUST be built for street use. Companies do make them, usually for about 9-10K.

I was hoping there were areas where gold cart use on the streets was common.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 05-08-2014, 01:57 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Veteran View Post
Hello, My wife and I are about to take the ¨Leap of faith¨ and purchase a condo / townhouse / villa in Florida. We are looking in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, North Port and Venice.

I am a disabled veteran so no golf courses for me but it would be nice to be able to purchase and use a street legal golf cart. Would also help on GASOLINE costs.

MY QUESTION, Is there one area where residents use gold carts for transportation more than others to go to the store, restaurants etc ... ie Punta Gorda vs Port Charlotte ? I remember visiting a friend on the Atlantic side in Palm Coast and it seemed like everyone was using them instead of cars.

Also, we would use our condo 6 months out of the year. The properties we have seen have no garages so if you are using a cart, where are you storing it when you are away ?

THANKS !
Well, where I live on Palm Island (Charlotte County) the primary mode of transportation is golf carts. Also in places like Boca Grande, most people use golf carts.

Palm Island, however, is a barrier island only accessible by car ferry and Boca is very pricey.

Other than those two communities I can't think of any that have a self contained community and use primarily golf carts.

You will see communities that have golfing in them like Heron Creek, Bobcat Trail, etc have many of the residents travel throughout the community in golf carts and many of those communities have restaurants within them.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
The Villages although this is some distance from your desired location, but golf carts rule in the villages.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
How about a little smart car? Cost about 14k at the local Mercedes dealer. Street legal on any road, great on gas and it has air conditioning!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,146 times
Take a peek at a GEM car. Google it and you'll find out a lot. Still have to stay on a 35mph road. BUT you can get the hopped up motor and do 40 I believe. As long as you're not holding up traffic you won't have much problems. 40 in a 50? You're going to get stopped. Yelled at, busted, tomatoes thrown... you know the drill.

Place on 41 N heading towards Venice sells them. They are on the right. Don't have to buy from them but you can at least check them out.

Luck

Last edited by daFrogMan; 05-08-2014 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: .....Felt like it.... :)

Old 05-08-2014, 09:02 PM

THANK YOU for all the replies ! I had not thought about the Smart car and I will google the GEM.

Now, WHERE IS THE VILLAGES ? We have not purchased anything yet and I like to keep my options open. As long as they have condo´s below 100k.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Here is a link to some of your options for "Street Legal Golf Cart"
The Largest Selection of Street Legal Vehicles in the Southeast

The Villages: http://www.thevillages.com/

Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Veteran View Post
THANK YOU for all the replies ! I had not thought about the Smart car and I will google the GEM.

Now, WHERE IS THE VILLAGES ? We have not purchased anything yet and I like to keep my options open. As long as they have condo´s below 100k.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown - New Home Sales, Home Resales, Build Your Dream Home, Brownwood Paddock Square
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte