Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 12:35 PM

288 posts, read 692,886 times

Advertisements

Looking for good company to paver a circular drive, if anyone has had any good experiences with companies, would appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM

493 posts, read 636,927 times
I'm thinking about the same thing and wondering what the pros and cons are of the pavers vs concrete. I've seen some that aren't maintained and have a lot of weeds growing in the cracks. Not sure if it's a lot of work to maintain or just a little attention here and there. Mark

Old 08-22-2014, 06:43 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Rob at Paradise Pavers Punta Gorda.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
I'm thinking about the same thing and wondering what the pros and cons are of the pavers vs concrete. I've seen some that aren't maintained and have a lot of weeds growing in the cracks. Not sure if it's a lot of work to maintain or just a little attention here and there. Mark
Pavers are a pain in the butt. We have a large paver patio area, and it looks good...for about 5 minutes right after pressure washing. Then the mildew starts creeping back...then the weeds start sprouting in the cracks...then you pressure wash it again. We had our concrete paved areas painted once, and never thought about them again.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Pavers are a pain in the butt. We have a large paver patio area, and it looks good...for about 5 minutes right after pressure washing. Then the mildew starts creeping back...then the weeds start sprouting in the cracks...then you pressure wash it again. We had our concrete paved areas painted once, and never thought about them again.
That's the kind of stuff I'm afraid of. Don't want a maintainence head ache. Is your patio covered? Not sure why the pavers would mildew more then other types of materials. Thanks for the warning. Mark

Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
That's the kind of stuff I'm afraid of. Don't want a maintainence head ache. Is your patio covered? Not sure why the pavers would mildew more then other types of materials. Thanks for the warning. Mark
The pavers are under screen, but not under roof. The worst spots are wherever water drips from a joint for a few hours after a rainstorm - on those spots, the entire paver mildews in a few weeks ((in the summer - not really a problem in the winter). After it has mildewed a few times, the affected paver seems to get more porous, and mildews faster. Everywhere else, the mildew creeps up between the pavers, whether the cracks are filled with sand or not. We asked our painter about sealing them; he's an honest guy, so instead of soaking us for 500 bucks, he told us it wouldn't be that effective. Maybe there are better quality pavers that don't have these problems. They were already here when we moved in, so we haven't really researched the issue. If it wasn't such a big area ($$$), I would have already replaced it with concrete.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:44 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
The pavers are under screen, but not under roof. The worst spots are wherever water drips from a joint for a few hours after a rainstorm - on those spots, the entire paver mildews in a few weeks ((in the summer - not really a problem in the winter). After it has mildewed a few times, the affected paver seems to get more porous, and mildews faster. Everywhere else, the mildew creeps up between the pavers, whether the cracks are filled with sand or not. We asked our painter about sealing them; he's an honest guy, so instead of soaking us for 500 bucks, he told us it wouldn't be that effective. Maybe there are better quality pavers that don't have these problems. They were already here when we moved in, so we haven't really researched the issue. If it wasn't such a big area ($$$), I would have already replaced it with concrete.
Fill a big garden sprayer with bleach and spray them every few weeks. It will kill the mold and weeds at the same time.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Fill a big garden sprayer with bleach and spray them every few weeks. It will kill the mold and weeds at the same time.
Yes, that's what we do, it's a pain in the neck.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 AM

If that's all it takes it doesn't sound to bad. I was thinking about using them for my pool deck and driveway so it would end up being a pretty large area. If I had to power wash it all the time I think that would be a hassle but I think I could live with doing the bleach treatment.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
If that's all it takes it doesn't sound to bad. I was thinking about using them for my pool deck and driveway so it would end up being a pretty large area. If I had to power wash it all the time I think that would be a hassle but I think I could live with doing the bleach treatment.
We do both. Your driveway will have a lot more slope than your pool deck, and may not need that much attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte