Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 02:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Charlene View Post
We are divers as well. Are there any noteworthy dive sites nearby in the gulf? Daughter is a Marine Biologist.

Mike
All In The Eye Of The Beholder... We are divers as well. I am NAUI OWSI wife is AOWD, but we seldom ever dive here. About the best you will see around here is 40' viz ( seldom) more likely 20-30' Ive been out 50 miles maybe it was farther off Stump Pass.. The Better Diving is way down south ( Cozumel : ) hahaha or the Other side.. OK OK or The Dry Tortugas. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
All In The Eye Of The Beholder... We are divers as well. I am NAUI OWSI wife is AOWD, but we seldom ever dive here. About the best you will see around here is 40' viz ( seldom) more likely 20-30' Ive been out 50 miles maybe it was farther off Stump Pass.. The Better Diving is way down south ( Cozumel : ) hahaha or the Other side.. OK OK or The Dry Tortugas. : )
You should try the Jersey coast or the Chesapeake bay. Jersey I've been in 10' vis. Chessy, 8' I'm loving it! Seen jersey 20'+. When you learn in poor vis, you love anywhere in FL.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:25 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
You should try the Jersey coast or the Chesapeake bay. Jersey I've been in 10' vis. Chessy, 8' I'm loving it! Seen jersey 20'+. When you learn in poor vis, you love anywhere in FL.
Couldn't agree with you more there! I've done search & rescue/recovery diving in the Potomac and Anacostia by feel due to lack of visibility. 20-30' is wonderful compared to that!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:12 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Couldn't agree with you more there! I've done search & rescue/recovery diving in the Potomac and Anacostia by feel due to lack of visibility. 20-30' is wonderful compared to that!
Search and recovery? Ohhhh, that's one of my greatest fears. I don't know how you guys do it. Necessary but I couldn't.
Thanks for being one of the BRAVE ones! I get bumped at night and my night diving is out. One time, never again. Still haunts me to this day. Don't know what it was but it was big! Turned the light behind me and didn't see anything.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
My 1st open water dive was in Cancun, beautiful scenery but scary instructors. Dropped you in water off boat with no recovery equipment so when you surfaced you had to wave the captain down in 3' waves. Needless to say it was not a memorable experience. Can't wait to start over.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:52 PM

Ive done the Poor viz and even the zero viz.. Is it fun? Not to me .. would I do it for recreational diving? Not me.. Lets see here.. Spend the day with a bunch of bad breath nasty smelling guys in Dry suits freezing their Whats Off?? Or...... Spend the day with a bunch of ladies in bikini's in 80 degree Gin Clear Water Drinking Cold Cervasas on the safety stop?? hahahahaah you guys and keep the macho dirty water diving.. hahahahaha... You be Rambo Ill be the Coral Cowboy any day over that hahahaaha

Old 11-30-2014, 05:54 PM

Sorry to hear that Ray.. I worked for a BIG SHOP on Cozumel , but we worked 10 Fast 6 pac's.. In ever did like the cattle thing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
My 1st open water dive was in Cancun, beautiful scenery but scary instructors. Dropped you in water off boat with no recovery equipment so when you surfaced you had to wave the captain down in 3' waves. Needless to say it was not a memorable experience. Can't wait to start over.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
... I get bumped at night and my night diving is out. One time, never again. Still haunts me to this day. Don't know what it was but it was big! Turned the light behind me and didn't see anything.
Zero vis diving for necessity is one thing but night diving with a good torch in clear water is something completely different. There are so many critters that come out at night (or they just look different). Plus, it's an amazing sight to shut off your torch, disturb the water with your hand(s), and watch the light show put on by the photoluminescent plankton. It's like a whole new world to see at night.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Zero vis diving for necessity is one thing but night diving with a good torch in clear water is something completely different. There are so many critters that come out at night (or they just look different). Plus, it's an amazing sight to shut off your torch, disturb the water with your hand(s), and watch the light show put on by the photoluminescent plankton. It's like a whole new world to see at night.
Not everywhere has that ..enjoy when ya can

Old 12-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
..... Plus, it's an amazing sight to shut off your torch, disturb the water with your hand(s), and watch the light show put on by the photoluminescent plankton. It's like a whole new world to see at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Not everywhere has that ..enjoy when ya can
Years ago I first experienced it while night diving in the Keys (or was it Grand Cayman?). Having learned to dive in N.E. Pa, most of my diving up to that point was in quarries or small lakes. It was entirely new to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte