Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
That video made my blood boil. Politics at its worst. How can this plan be approved and charging residents without all final costs in place?
Because they can. We're relatively new full time residents in the area ( as of 1/23/14), and seeing all this stuff will make us come up to snuff on local issues, and the "politicians" who allegedly represent the residents. DH and I are just two people, but we have always voted in any election that comes up and plan to continue to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 12:43 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times
Any chance it can be a stuck open check valve???

Old 09-27-2014, 07:34 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,439,200 times
I am affected by the Phase 1 project. IMO, as this benefits the entire county, this should be covered by a bond issue paid by the entire county instead of direct assessments, no matter where. However, since there was no significant replacement of the Commissioners, we are hung, so far.

However, I will be looking at what is required to file a recall election on the commissioner for this area. Non-responsive to the citizens.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:59 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,439,200 times
Update on smell: we are starting to smell sewer gas and the systems were checked out just a few months ago. Done some research. May well be caused by the excessive amounts of rain we have received resulting in a saturated soil.

Saturated soil means the rain may actually back up into the septic system, pushing gasses bak into the home . Reduced use for a few days to let the water perk through the soil and let the system start working properly again.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:56 AM

152 posts, read 221,572 times
yes, expensive; our house in PC is on sewer; don't know if there was a choice but we wanted sewer. Speaking of politics, our previous home was on septic. The town voted to put in sewer, we paid an assessment but never hooked up. Saved a lot of money on water bills over many years but here's the caveat. When the septic systems were all failing and some areas had no sewer infrastructure, the costs for reclaiming and re-doing systems was $25-30K. We were happy to have the infrastructure because a connection was $3k and we included it when we sold the house. No title V inspection saved about $300.
Something ironic= all the conservationists wanted to stop sewer connections because the land was drying up; water was being treated and going straight into the rivers draining the water rather than the natural refiltration; always unintended consequences. And Yep, HH, trash, crap and waste removal is huge business. Residents need to pay close attention to what is happening and who is making money on it.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM

47 posts, read 107,036 times
PCNewbie... Your right about the drainage change after sewers go in.
My old home up North was on well and septic. When sewers went in, it water table dropped due to the water being piped off to the sewer treatment plant then on into the river.
Many homes had to drill deeper wells.
The only difference here is I believe most homes are on city water which I believe is pumped out of the Peace River and treated. YUM!!!!

Question about the payments. Someone said "$500.00 a year for 20 years. Does that include interest?
If they float a bond to fund the project phase, it will be sold to investors with interest.
I am curious what interest these "Municipal Bonds" pay and what (if any) the interest the town charges the homeowners paying over time.

Are they charging citizens more than they are paying out on the bonds?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,619,874 times
FL2HI, can you tell us the outcome and what was wrong.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:47 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,997,474 times
The only difference here is I believe most homes are on city water which I believe is pumped out of the Peace River and treated. YUM!!!! Yes, all homes in PC proper are on county water.

Question about the payments. Someone said "$500.00 a year for 20 years. Does that include interest? Yes it does. And yes, it is $500/yr assessed for 20 yrs. This is just for "area 1". The next areas will be at a higher cost to the residents. GUARANTEED.
If they float a bond to fund the project phase, it will be sold to investors with interest.
I am curious what interest these "Municipal Bonds" pay and what (if any) the interest the town charges the homeowners paying over time. Originally it was over 3%. Just recently CCU director Terry Couture admitted that the project cost was underestimated and that it will end up costing 30-40% MORE than budgeted for, however, interest rates are now lower (around 1.5%) so it supposedly balances out. The whole thing is a disaster, just as we expected from our joke of a county gov't.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:03 PM

There may be a difference be the assessment and the payment plan. Bonds are used to pay for projects. Direct assessments to property owners are used to defray the total cost and supposedly reduce the bond issues. Generally, a property owner can pay the entire assessment immediately or opt to pay over time with interest(usually simple interest) owed on the assessment. The muni bonds are different from the money owed on an assessment. muni bonds may be sold to investors, some are tax free.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 PM

$500x20 yrs is $10000. seems like a pretty stiff assessment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte