Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry SoFloGal .... Usually your credibility speaks for itself but in this case we're going to need proof.... Pictures of you at Fantasy Fest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 11:12 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Friend me on Facebook and there's plenty of proof

Old 01-18-2015, 04:30 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times
For you long timer residents of PG, how would you feel if the town started really changing via growth, amenities and services, but with it the usual corresponding price (i.e., everything gets more expensive)? Geographically I couldn't see the town ever becoming like Naples, for example, and no beach I would think limits the market, but you get the idea.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:10 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
For you long timer residents of PG, how would you feel if the town started really changing via growth, amenities and services, but with it the usual corresponding price (i.e., everything gets more expensive)? Geographically I couldn't see the town ever becoming like Naples, for example, and no beach I would think limits the market, but you get the idea.
When we bought here, we counted on exactly the factors you point out to limit growth. The big drawbacks to Naples (and Fort Myers, and Sarasota) are the traffic and overcrowding during the season. Folks occasionally complain about the season here, but go live in Fort Myers for a month like we did when we were house hunting - it got so we didn't even want to go out for bread and milk.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
A couple years ago I wrote a post about some of the things I liked about living on a canal here in Punta Gorda Isles.

I corrected a technical mistake that someone alerted me to, but it won't matter. I also updated a couple things. I wrote the following in January of 2010, so its been a while, but it remains true today. Enjoy my post, and humor (I hope).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live on a canal front home in Punta Gorda Isles. Here are some of my random thoughts.

1. Our canal is all lined with concrete seawalls, that are owned and maintained by the City of Punta Gorda. We pay about $500.00 per year, for the maintenance, and replacement of the walls if for some reason they should fail. Last year, I needed a little back fill because of some wash out and they came and took care of it - no charge.
2. Its great! I have a boat lift and a boat right out side and I can be in the harbor fishing in 5-10 minutes from where I am. I can be down to Boca Grande Pass (and the Gulf beyone) in 35-40 minutes if the water is flat.
3. We have a concrete dock, and launch my kayaks all the time. Friends love to kayak when they come down, and you don't have to load up the car to do it.
4. I fish off the concrete dock when I get bored, or when my CD friends ignore me. We have a lot of different types of fish. I built a fish cleaning station on the dock, so that I can do all the dirty work out there.
5. The view of the water is awesome.
6. We've had porpoise come in and feed and that is exciting to watch.
7. I had fun fishing my dog out of the water the otherday after he fell in. He'll be more careful now. ((he never fell in again after that)). (( Champ, my budding and fishing companion passed away last summer of cancer - he is sorely missed))
8. Since our canals are full of water all the time, and are very tidal, we don't have any insect issues - like mosquitos due to standing or slack water. You kinda have to be careful, if you don't have concrete lined canals or have moving water in it all the time.
9. I can jump on the boat and boat to neighbors houses for dock-tails, or over to Fisherman Village for lunch, or to meet friends.
10. It's great at Christmas time, everyone decorates the canal with lights and thing more than they do the front of thier house.
11. I installed a couple of underwater dock / fish lights, and at night you can see all kinds of fish that are attracted by it.
12. Our canal is mostly salt water, so we haven't seen any alligators.
13. You have to be careful about swimming in them without foot protection because there are a lot of sharp barnacles in the water - at least with ours.
14. You have to understand, if you are going to have a boat, how long it takes you to get out of the canal and into deep / gulf access water.
15. If you are on a tidal canal you need to understand what the water depth is during low tide in the winter (when the water level is about 1-2 feet) lower than in the summer.
16. If you are not on a gulf access canal, then it is probably more likely to have fresh water / spring fed, and thus have alligators.

I'm sure there are 50 other things, that I failed to mention. If you have any questions feel free to dm me, and I'll put my beer down and reply - but right now its time for another breakfast brew. - Just kidding I don't have breakfast when I'm drinking! - Ok, I'm just kidding again.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
That was my post, but had a couple updates since then that I updated in the post above.

Last edited by Big House; 01-28-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 05:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Awesome post BH! Can't wait to launch our boat from our new house!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 PM

325 posts, read 507,599 times
BH, as a new resident of PGI, thanks for the info. Just make sure that when you paddle past my dock that you don't make a wake. lol
I will be in the market for a kayak this spring so I can fish/paddle around under my own power.
I have been waiting for MCG to remove some spoils from around my new lift so I can use it. I have called them many many times over the past several months but not having any luck having them respond. I wish there was mare than 1 company allowed to dredge in PGI.
Again thanks for the post.

Clint

P.S. Sorry to hear about Champ. I lost my Dobie 17 months ago. She was my Velcro baby.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
BH, as a new resident of PGI, thanks for the info. Just make sure that when you paddle past my dock that you don't make a wake. lol
I will be in the market for a kayak this spring so I can fish/paddle around under my own power.
I have been waiting for MCG to remove some spoils from around my new lift so I can use it. I have called them many many times over the past several months but not having any luck having them respond. I wish there was mare than 1 company allowed to dredge in PGI.
Again thanks for the post.

Clint

P.S. Sorry to hear about Champ. I lost my Dobie 17 months ago. She was my Velcro baby.
1dobiedude, I hope someone chimes in also. Is there only one company that dredges the water in the Punta Gorda area if called out? Anyone?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
The Mummies are coming!! The Mummies are coming!!
Check out Funk Fest - here in Punta Gorda on February 28th!! It is a lot of fun!!
Maybe you can guess who the Band Members are this year!! They always put on a great show!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
The Mummies are coming!! The Mummies are coming!!
Check out Funk Fest - here in Punta Gorda on February 28th!! It is a lot of fun!!
Maybe you can guess who the Band Members are this year!! They always put on a great show!
The Zombies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte