Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:36 PM

35 posts, read 66,151 times

Advertisements

Any advice and nursery recommendations for buying and planting fruit trees? Coming in January and can't wait to get started with a few trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:21 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
We bought our Florida Hass avocado tree from ECHO's Tropical Fruit Nursery in North Ft. Myers. We just planted it last spring so we don't have any fruit yet but at least it's growing good.

We've also bought plants at Powell's Nursery in Punta Gorda but only the flowering type; no fruit bearing plants. Great place! No BS, they tell it like it is.

I have two papaya trees that I started from seed. They're really easy to grow and will bear fruit in a year.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:54 AM

93 posts, read 125,999 times
We have a Cuban Mango Tree now and are giving thought to either a Key or a Tahiti Persian Lime tree. My concern with past knowledge and experience is. When the fruit really begins to come in , falling fruit can become a lot of extra work and attract a lot of undesireables.. We had a wonderful Miniture Sweet Papaya in front of our house on Cozumel it was a wonderful fruit not much bigger than an orange and as the name implies it was sweet. At that point in our lives , we were like year round snow birds what with our all year long constant in and out and in and out, On no less than a few occasions the fruit caused a mess and attracted LARGE Iguanas and all sorts of bugs. We also had 3 coconut trees ( the yellow variety) and as you all know the nuts never really cause an issue. We had a gardener that came by twice a month, year round but it wasnt always enough. In Short, Fruit trees can be messy and rotting fruit WILL attract animals and bugs and when your fruit is in, so is everyone elses and few will want any of it..

Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
We have a quat key lime that bears fruit all year. Purchased it on pine island. Also have a everbearing calamundin orange tree from home depot it's a great changup on a key lime pie.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:33 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Keep the fruit picked up or it's only a matter of time before you have rats. Plant citrus trees where they will be sheltered from the wind to reduce the chance of canker - grapefruit are very susceptible.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I have quite a few fruit trees most of them I purchased off two different ladies. One lives in south Venice and the other lives in South Sarasota. I can give you their numbers if you are interested. Both of them have the more unusual type of fruit trees. Here's my current list:

Soupsop
Cherry of the Rio Grande
Coconut Cream Mango
Carrie Mango
Strawberry Tree
Moringa Tree
Tobago Pink Custard Apple
Fig
Blue Passion Vine
Hawaiian Papaya
Macadamia
Jakfruit
Miracle Fruit
Star Fruit
Red Wax Jambu
Longan Berry
Black Sapote
Orange
Key Lime
Lemon
Grapefruit
Peach
Haas Avacado
Pomegrante
Persimmon
Pear
Sour Apple
Grape
Everbearing Mulberry
Blackberry
Raspberry
Lychee
Dragon Fruit
Ice Cream Banana
Pink Guava
Sapodilla
Peanut Butter Tree
Green Sapote
Egg Fruit
Swiss Cheese Plant
Malabar Nut
Blue Butterfly Pea
Jabuticaba Tree
Kiwi Vine

Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 AM

130 posts, read 234,346 times
I've heard the same comment about the problems of not being around to keep fruit picked up you'll attract fruit rats...Even so I planted a blood orange, red navel, key and Tahitian limes, Meyer and Eureka lemon, calamondin, longan,
and papayas...We have a huge annual fruit tree sale in Bradenton where you can buy about any kind of fruit tree you can imagine...

Manatee Rare Fruit Council > Plant Sale

Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 AM

413 posts, read 828,343 times
Wow must be a big yard, any pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I have quite a few fruit trees most of them I purchased off two different ladies. One lives in south Venice and the other lives in South Sarasota. I can give you their numbers if you are interested. Both of them have the more unusual type of fruit trees. Here's my current list:

Soupsop
Cherry of the Rio Grande
Coconut Cream Mango
Carrie Mango
Strawberry Tree
Moringa Tree
Tobago Pink Custard Apple
Fig
Blue Passion Vine
Hawaiian Papaya
Macadamia
Jakfruit
Miracle Fruit
Star Fruit
Red Wax Jambu
Longan Berry
Black Sapote
Orange
Key Lime
Lemon
Grapefruit
Peach
Haas Avacado
Pomegrante
Persimmon
Pear
Sour Apple
Grape
Everbearing Mulberry
Blackberry
Raspberry
Lychee
Dragon Fruit
Ice Cream Banana
Pink Guava
Sapodilla
Peanut Butter Tree
Green Sapote
Egg Fruit
Swiss Cheese Plant
Malabar Nut
Blue Butterfly Pea
Jabuticaba Tree
Kiwi Vine

Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
Wow must be a big yard, any pictures?
Here are a few pics of some of the plants. This is the front yard and a little of the side yard. The front yard has the Avocado, Grapefruit, peach, Orange, Lemon, Key Lime, Guava, mulberry and a few others, as well as my vegetables in the pots-Tomatoes, corn, okra, beans, radishes, etc.

The side yard has the star fruit, longanberry, macadamia, jackfruit, passion vine, pear, butterfly pea, persimmon, pomegranate and a few other things.

My lot is about a half acre and I probably well over did it for the space I have

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,730 times
Looks great Shannon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte