Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please check all applicable boxes about your ideal Florida home:
Under 1600 sq. feet (SF) 14 20.00%
1600-1899 SF 26 37.14%
1900-2199 SF 12 17.14%
2200-2499 SF 13 18.57%
2500-2999 SF 4 5.71%
Over 3000 SF 3 4.29%
2 bedrooms 5 7.14%
2 Bedrooms + den/home office 15 21.43%
3 bedroom 23 32.86%
3 Bedroom + den/home office 22 31.43%
4 or more bedrooms 5 7.14%
Under $200k 26 37.14%
$200-275k 19 27.14%
$275-350k 9 12.86%
Over $350k 8 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times

Advertisements

beautiful photos BTW David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:29 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Love the open plan! That is what we are building!

Old 12-04-2014, 04:31 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
yea a good layout it is so important in the size of house- sometimes I wonder who created some of these homes had no kids! I too like at least a separate kitchen but I like a good size enough for a small table- I can't hear the TV either with all the racket going on - the expense of the home is getting crazy too. I'm working on a short sale- 1100 sq ft but with a pool - my whole plan is "outside" living - a pergola- a Fla room or screened in porch - that is the plan- outside amenities. want to eat outside- drink my coffee and visitors- outside--

Old 12-04-2014, 06:12 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times
the several custom homes we saw with one ginormous open floor plan all seemed to have a design feature of a recessed, essentially parabolic curve with molding, peaking dead center in the biggest part of the room.

to me, that means i'll be able to hear my in-laws fart 20' away while they're sitting in front of t.v. and i'm in kitchen. similarly, they'll be able to hear magnified clanks and clunks of pots & pans from the kitchen while their hearing aid screeches to compensate from all the ambient noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
not you :-) ....again , feedback, the open plan single room, high ceiling (ours went to 14') concept is most definitely IN.....the mid 2000s cathedral ceiling split room plan is OUT......we haven't had one person walk through not loving to one entry/dining/living/kitchen/breakfast nook theme

me, coming form a country where every room is blocked off...I love it

Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Pretty hard to argue with you, when you sold the model and pre-sold 5 more.. Otherwise I would have reminded you that almost everybody lovessssss looking and yet fewwwww can afford to own : )
As for cost of extras blablabla.. Another.... As I See It and I am sick of this.. ..... far too often the Guy who can afford to drive the Ferrari complains , the man who keeps it RUNNING is making too much money for a living..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
not you :-) ....again , feedback, the open plan single room, high ceiling (ours went to 14') concept is most definitely IN.....the mid 2000s cathedral ceiling split room plan is OUT......we haven't had one person walk through not loving to one entry/dining/living/kitchen/breakfast nook theme

me, coming form a country where every room is blocked off...I love it

Old 12-04-2014, 07:22 AM

390 posts, read 609,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
the several custom homes we saw with one ginormous open floor plan all seemed to have a design feature of a recessed, essentially parabolic curve with molding, peaking dead center in the biggest part of the room.

to me, that means i'll be able to hear my in-laws fart 20' away while they're sitting in front of t.v. and i'm in kitchen. similarly, they'll be able to hear magnified clanks and clunks of pots & pans from the kitchen while their hearing aid screeches to compensate from all the ambient noise.

Since many people are coming from homes that most of the rooms are sectioned off, the openness is a new concept for many and they fall in love with the look and the feeling they get walking through the front door.

I tend to think, that most home buyers buying homes with that type of floor plan for the first time don't realize the noise that the central part of the house generates since there are no wall divides or one small wall to absorb the sound.

But that is an important point you bring up about noise. It's a double edge sword......

Last edited by Florida or Bust....; 12-04-2014 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 07:36 AM

absolutely .. I concure.. So does tile floor versus wood floors and so even more so, stone floors. Noise and smell from the kitchen shouldnt IMHO be a real issue or IMHO your lost when your in the kitchen.. The smells from my kitchen will draw you to me, not offend you..so now I am part of the gathering not the galley slave and with the ever present stand-up bar.. yuor on YOUR SIDE talking and encluding me and I am on MY SIDE getting it done but still part of the evening.. blablabla. So.... you see a wide open concept that is new to yuo and you love it , but noise does travel . Then because your in SWF and you dont want carpet on your floor, its tile or stone and now you have added an amplifier to the sound .. Its a new to you home and your still lacking art work and or other wall hangings and the sound is like a superball shot into a closet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
Since many people are coming from homes that most of the rooms are sectioned off, the openness is a new concept for many and they fall in love with the look and the feeling they get walking through the front door.

I tend to think, that most home buyers buying homes with that type of floor plan for the first time don't realize the noise that the central part of the house generates since there are no wall divides or one small wall to absorb the sound.

But that is an important point you bring up about noise. It's a double edge sword......

Old 12-04-2014, 07:38 AM

Your magazine picture is a very cute look but IMHO with No see-ems and critters very impractical..For A Home in SWF..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
yea a good layout it is so important in the size of house- sometimes I wonder who created some of these homes had no kids! I too like at least a separate kitchen but I like a good size enough for a small table- I can't hear the TV either with all the racket going on - the expense of the home is getting crazy too. I'm working on a short sale- 1100 sq ft but with a pool - my whole plan is "outside" living - a pergola- a Fla room or screened in porch - that is the plan- outside amenities. want to eat outside- drink my coffee and visitors- outside--

Old 12-04-2014, 07:29 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times
p.s. for what it's worth, if it comes to it I will gladly take room-echoing in-law farts, seeing mind-numbing kids cartoons on t.v. while at the stove, dirty dish piles, and stinky boiling garbanzo beans in 75 degree sunny weather in February vs. 25 degrees and shoveling snow.....

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs....

Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
I love the open floor plan. There are no kids, the in laws will never visit and if someone doesn't like the noise from my 70" TV they can go back to NJ.

I know this isn't the case everywhere but our pool isn't screened in, I'm on a canal across from mangroves and very rarely do we have an issue with no seeums or Mosquitos. Although sometimes we do find frogs in the pool.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte