Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,030,278 times

Advertisements

I've seen many posts here in the past about Citizens trying to push their policy holders onto other companies, and I've told my story about them trying to do that to me for a few years now.

Long story short, after "opting out" of the take-over letters two years in a row Citizens sent an inspector out to my house (AGAIN) to find any reason to cancel me or raise my rates. That was 2 years ago, and they did raise me a bit but didn't find any cause to cancel me. Last year I finally allowed one of the other companies to assume my Citizen policy, it was UPC. I was tired of fighting with Citizens and with their diminishing coverage and higher rates.

Although all these takeover companies promise lower rates and better coverage I knew the grass wouldn't be greener for long, which is why I opted out the first 2 times, but Citizens tried their hardest to make it impossible for me to stay with them. Keep in mind I have never in my life made a claim against any insurance in my life...houses, cars, boats...never a single claim. Because I don't make claims I chose the highest deductibles allowed by law including a 10% hurricane deductible and was fine with that as I consider it "catastrophic" insurance only. Insurance companies should love to have a "customer" like that.

Well, I got my renewal from UPC this month. My policy went up over 60%...

I told them to shove it, I'll take my chances. House is paid for and I fix everything myself anyway. They blame it on the fact that it is an older house on the water (1972). It was an older house last year too, and the year before, and the year before... I didn't have flood insurance so the new base elevation crap shouldn't even matter.

Scam artists...thanks for letting me rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 04:13 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,157,905 times
breathe brother breathe

now

go grab a drink...............................

Old 12-12-2014, 04:13 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,838,708 times
Mod edit

The Insurance Commissioners Office has no clout to regulate homeowners insurance companies and several years ago when we saw the list of newborn home insurers, under-capitalized and with no experience in the business whatsoever it was clear to us "Caveat Emptor".

It's not just this area, we saw this in Naples too.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 12-12-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate question. No injecting politics.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:21 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,030,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

go grab a drink...............................

I am at least 7 beers ahead of ya!

I actually feel relieved. For 20 some years I KNEW I was being screwed by the insurance companies, and it bothered me. Cutting those ties feels great. Now at least I can only get screwed by Mother Nature. She's friendlier than the insurance agents and better looking too....

Old 12-12-2014, 04:28 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,277,135 times
I am with ya..
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Mod edit
The Insurance Commissioners Office has no clout to regulate homeowners insurance companies and several years ago when we saw the list of newborn home insurers, under-capitalized and with no experience in the business whatsoever it was clear to us "Caveat Emptor".

It's not just this area, we saw this in Naples too.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 12-12-2014 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Mod edit of quote

Old 12-12-2014, 04:56 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,010,007 times
Wish we could all sever ties with the thieves!!! Happy for you though!! :-)

Old 12-12-2014, 09:35 PM

14,962 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Tired of paying for all that "peace of mind", are ya?

I understand the feeling all too well. We still have homeowners' insurance ( with one of the Citizen's takeout companies, National Federated-or something like that), but I'm not at all convinced that they'd do a decent job of paying claims if it came to that. Not much peace of mind, in my way of thinking. It's mostly for the liability portion of the insurance that we have it.

We did elect to forego flood insurance, though, even though we're on the water and part of property is in a flood plain (8AE). I feel about FEMA about the way y'all ( and I do as well) Citizens' so called "insurance".

Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 AM

39 posts, read 74,179 times
I opted out of all the insurance I could six or so years ago. I was in Pinellas County (thinking about a move to Punta Gorda from Alachua County now) when all the hurricanes moved through the gulf and Florida. My homeowners and business policies were all canceled with no reason given. I'd never, in 30 years, had a claim. I decided, from that point on, to self insure as much as possible. I have no homeowners, no liability, and the absolute minimum of auto and health. I am a very happy camper. I wish you well. Mod edit

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 12-13-2014 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment/language.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:57 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,687,354 times
Having no insurance is very risky these days, more so for the liability coverage. Someone slips and falls in front of your house and you could easily be sued. Someone trespasses onto your property, falls into your pool and gets hurt, they have a right to sue, as crazy as it sounds (and potentially difficult for them to win). With liability coverage, at least the isurance company can fight (on their dime) for you should there be problem like that. Unless you are a good lawyer or have very deep pockets and can handle such risk, I would never dream of not having at least a liability policy. Not sure if you can get one without at least some damage coverage. This is especially true if you are a landlord or have multiple properties without being incorporated. Unfortunately, we live in a society and time that loves to sue for almost anything.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:20 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,635,355 times
Default I would never dream of not having at least a liability policy

This is the part that would concern me also. I have no problem with rolling the dice on the property but am concerned about the slip and fall guys, someone drowning in the back yard and so forth. But than again if a Cat 5 rolls through or if the home burns to the ground we would all wish we are covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte