Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM

281 posts, read 406,048 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate some boat make and model recommendations. Rather than go to a marina or boat dealer that will probably try to sell me his highest markup boat, I'll ask the question to the real experts here.

I want a boat 20' or under and less than 8' tall when on the trailer. Garage size and door limits. I want something to mainly cruise around the harbor, inter coastal and short trips into the gulf on very calm days. I want something that can also be used for fishing but not a flats type specialty fishing boat. Also not a pontoon boat.

I would probably dock it at a marina during the season and store in the garage during the summer.

Any suggestions?

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I would appreciate some boat make and model recommendations. Rather than go to a marina or boat dealer that will probably try to sell me his highest markup boat, I'll ask the question to the real experts here.

I want a boat 20' or under and less than 8' tall when on the trailer. Garage size and door limits. I want something to mainly cruise around the harbor, inter coastal and short trips into the gulf on very calm days. I want something that can also be used for fishing but not a flats type specialty fishing boat. Also not a pontoon boat.

I would probably dock it at a marina during the season and store in the garage during the summer.

Any suggestions?

Thanx
The best advise I can give you is don't buy new....let someone else take the hit on the depreciation.

The biggest issue with putting a boat in a garage other than the height is the length. A trailer is considerably longer than a boat.

Depending on what you are looking for a Carolina Skiff DLV Carolina Skiff Boat Showroom: DLV Series may fill your needs. The DLV series have a V hull and are very wide making for a very stable platform, and in addition they will hold a bunch of people for those times when you need it.

Gary

Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
How much do you want to spend?
Inboard or outboard
Cabin?
Toilet?

Something like this 170 dauntless from Boston Whaler would be a nice little all around boat.
Boston Whaler 170 Dauntless (2012-) | Boston Whaler | Powered By BoatTest.com

My parents always had a small Boston whaler, never had a problem with them.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Outboard
No cabin or toilet
$- I know they are not cheap. I am prepared to spend what it takes for something I really like.

20' was taking into consideration using a folding tongue trailer and adding a few feet to the boat length for the trailer and motor. I have about 23' door to wall backing in straight or about 26' on an angle.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Can we assume this is your first Power boat ? Or have you had others? For Sure Buy Used..you may go through a couple or even a few maybe even several before you are really satistfied.. Buy a 30 ft tape measure and start cruising the lots and shows.
Depending on where you slip it. The Gulf can be a-ways, away.. But then again you can trailer it. Look for or plan $$ for some sort of shade / Bimini or T top or Cutty Cabin. The Sun is brutal here on the water , even in the winter, and the water is like a mirror and the sun will burn places that may not have ever been burned before hahaha IMHO a decent GPS is mandatory for a relaxful day. Not a Phone or an app those work but a 5" min. Screen with previous tracks to and from turn a tight stomach into a nice day. A good VHF Radio is IMHO a Must.. Seatow or Boat US is a VERY Good investment , your new here and there is a LOT! OF! SHALLOW! WATER! I have been told by LOTs of Old Timers around here that If You aint been aground yuo aint been around ..Take a Boating Class .. even if its only an on line class.. Col Regs Count Down Here .. Get a good Harbor Chart and learn to read it. If all you have ever boated on in the past were Inland Lakes ? There are a lot of rules you really need to know.. #1. If your on a power boat YOU are the give way boat when in response to a sailboat at ALL TIMES as long as that sailboat is under "SAIL" If he has sails in the air? He Has The Right Of Way..

Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Not my 1st boat. But 1st time boating in this area. Have 20' pontoon and runabout up north for the summer. Also have use of a bass boat which is worthless except for fishing and going fast back for lunch.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:36 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
What kind of boat to buy is a discussion that's been had many times on this forum.

I'm not bragging I'm just stupid I have four boats.

3750 Cruisers aft cabin, my floating summer home in Cape May New Jersey.
13 foot Mercury Amanzi inflatable RIB with a 40 HP motor
19 foot Trophy Center Console, that everyone on this site told me to leave in New Jersey.
And last week I bought a 13 foot Whaler super sport with a Honda 40 HP motor.

On Saturday my wife and I spent about four hours out on the harbor in the whaler it was a nice smooth day on the boat ran great.

The idea behind buying the Whaler was that I would have something that I could use for now that was an expensive to purchase, knowing that I can get my money back once I decided what kind of boat I really wanted.

Gary

Old 12-01-2014, 12:23 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Nice fleet, Gary. Curious what you gave for that Whaler sport. Always liked those.

AZ99 sounds like you know the important stuff already. No I/Os, shallow draft. I'm more inclined to the fishing setups but I know the deckboats are hugely popular in our area for light cruising. Bay boat hulls are very versatile here for multi-use crafts. I'm a fan of Trailering to get closer to the ICW without all the time/fuel but I also enjoy my canal lift access to the harbor. Let us know how the search goes. Lots of us love to talk boats and see what's in the market.

If anyone out there is looking for a reliable flats boat, I saw a Classic Mako similar to mine when I was in Key Largo last week. Here's a link. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...lats-102363317

Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM

The recommended Whaler and Skiff look like they would be good for my uses.

It would normally only be the wife, dog and I. Unless I was going fishing and it would be 1 less. If I ever need a boat for more than 4 when guests are coming I would just rent something bigger.

I also like the idea of launching at different areas.

A GPS and a fold up sun roof look like a must also.

I will probably have some dumb questions after I get it as I have never used a boat of mine in salt water.

Thanx

Old 12-01-2014, 03:40 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Salt Water Is A Whole New World!!!!!! Very Little SS will hold up to salt water for very long without blemishing rusting or staining..
With SS the less rusting blemishing staining you have..... the weaker it is.. Its all about the % of Chromium. and where it was made... thats a HUGE Issue.. We too have a couple boats 26' Sailboat 24' Walk around 2 Kayaks and a 10' Inflatable with a 6HP Evinrude I think I will sell the Inflatable.. I am looking for and may have found a 12' row boat for fishing in the canals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte