Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:31 PM

50 posts, read 72,615 times

Advertisements

U think Charlotte County is bad. Try city of North Port. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 AM

14,889 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
It gets pretty murky pretty quickly doesnt it? Do you think a fellow who is so unscrupulous that he rents his license out, really bothers checking on those doing "Sidejobs" under his license? If you require a License why shouldnt everyone involved be licensed? CC or whomever could actually TRACK who is doing what.. There are no real, apprenticeships down here, no real schooling.. Yes the license follows the permit and if .... something is installed/built so badly that something goes so wrong that lawyers are involved you might get to the bottom of it all. I have seen inside or hanging on the outside of more than one small General Contractors truck materials or tools needed for Electrical AND Plumbing AND HVAC..
What I can't understand is how the licensed guy doesn't figure he'll ever get caught doing this and lose his license when he does. All that takes is for someone to file a complaint against that license with the county or state, when a ripoff artist using that license takes off after collecting money and not doing the work, or doing a crappy job and leaving the homeowner holding the bag.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,264,188 times
Its an Easy answer... No One EVER Thinks they will get caught.... not for cheating on taxes, running a red light , speeding, cheating on spouce or on a test, or running a $$$ scam.. I would hazard to guess that 99% of those now , living in jail or in prison , did not do what they did , thinking the end would be getting caught ..A Lot of people down here rent out their homes , I dont know the local legal requirements here, but I know there is a difference between renting out your house on occasion and on occasion staying in a house you rent out..and then flat out having income producing property..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
What I can't understand is how the licensed guy doesn't figure he'll ever get caught doing this and lose his license when he does. All that takes is for someone to file a complaint against that license with the county or state, when a ripoff artist using that license takes off after collecting money and not doing the work, or doing a crappy job and leaving the homeowner holding the bag.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:45 AM

191 posts, read 298,809 times
I have a question that might be applicable in this thread. You have a job done and the contractor completes everything required for the inspections listed on the permit except for 1 item. We'll say it's a pool cage and the contractor completes everything properly except for an end cap on a gutter. He never passes the "FINAL" and draws 2 "fail with fee" fines ($50 each). After 6 months the permit expires and still the situation remains the same. What does the county do next ?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,053,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 road runner View Post
I have a question that might be applicable in this thread. You have a job done and the contractor completes everything required for the inspections listed on the permit except for 1 item. We'll say it's a pool cage and the contractor completes everything properly except for an end cap on a gutter. He never passes the "FINAL" and draws 2 "fail with fee" fines ($50 each). After 6 months the permit expires and still the situation remains the same. What does the county do next ?
The county has discretion as to what they will do depending on the severity of the issue. For an end cap on a gutter, they probably will not do much. They can suspend his license and proceed to shut him down on work, and not give occupancy permits - things like that, and continue to issue fines and hold up his work. If they revoke his license that can be a bigger deal for him, but that extreme probably won't happen.

The Owner, has rights, he can go to small claims court, and recover his fees for doing so as well, but the main right the Owner has, and its important, is to retain funds (which can be between 5% and 10% of the entire contract sum to ensure that all work is completed. Most builders are smart enough to have the retainage amounts reduced as the work nears completion. But Some held back to ensure completion of punchiest items and small incomplete things like you mentioned. Owners' often feel good all the way up to the last minute and pay off everything leaving them vulnerable, and that is a mistake - always hold back a reasonable amount to complete the work unfinished (it is good to hold back 2-3 times what the real cost is to have it done. On an item like this it really isn't enough money to anger anyone, but enough to ensure it gets done - either by the builder (who still has incentive to complete it, or by a handyman who you can pay from the held back funds to complete the work). That is fair, it is normal, and no one gets victimized. Too often Owners will make a good faith gesture and pay it in full, and then the little task becomes a lingering annoyance for everyone - there is nothing wrong with holding back some funds, and people should do that!! Not a ridiculous amount, but a fair value to have it done by someone else - if need be.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM

747 posts, read 1,008,437 times
BH: I've always done with builders or service providers 1/3 up front (which typically pays for materials, delivered to and stored on site), 1/3 at the halfway mark (pays the subs/workers), and 1/3 at completion (which is clearly defined as done, finito, no issues, no runs, drips or errors....).

If they're not agreeable to it, I find someone who is. In my experience/opinion, a reputable firm has both balance sheet and faith in its people & process such that they can carry the cost in between payment milestones.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,053,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
BH: I've always done with builders or service providers 1/3 up front (which typically pays for materials, delivered to and stored on site), 1/3 at the halfway mark (pays the subs/workers), and 1/3 at completion (which is clearly defined as done, finito, no issues, no runs, drips or errors....).

If they're not agreeable to it, I find someone who is. In my experience/opinion, a reputable firm has both balance sheet and faith in its people & process such that they can carry the cost in between payment milestones.
I'm not here to argue with you. But, it sounds more like your dealing with a handyman type builder than a real general contractor. That payment process, on a large construction project can be a real disaster. You are behind the builder payment that way, he has NO RISK, and you really lack leverage in getting things done at your schedule in stead of his. I know a few builders that will take care of you regardless, but why put yourself in a disadvantaged position?? It is better to work out a fair schedule of values for the work performed, and pay as its completed, leaving enough (retainage) in the budget to pay for the work when it is 100% done. Paying in advance makes you a good guy, and sometimes people will pay that way on smaller projects where the contractor is not well financed (or there is little trust of the OWNER), I've done it too to facilitate the smaller contractors, but on larger projects like an entire house (you are at risk) financing it that way.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:14 PM

747 posts, read 1,008,437 times
Sorry yes I meant for rehab, not a new build from a to z. I act as a GC on most projects and sub out what I don't do myself.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,264,188 times
I know there have been a lot of folks "playing" down here in the past.. some even in time became builders, but if you re-hab to flip, you have a lot of limits on what you can legally do yourself.. That Was an issue and those ghost live on today..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Sorry yes I meant for rehab, not a new build from a to z. I act as a GC on most projects and sub out what I don't do myself.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:10 PM

191 posts, read 298,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
The county has discretion as to what they will do depending on the severity of the issue. For an end cap on a gutter, they probably will not do much. They can suspend his license and proceed to shut him down on work, and not give occupancy permits - things like that, and continue to issue fines and hold up his work. If they revoke his license that can be a bigger deal for him, but that extreme probably won't happen.
I can buy a gutter end cap for a couple bucks and install it myself in minutes, so that part doesn't really bother me. What I am wondering about is the whole permit and inspection process. I have been told by more than one contractor that the more inspections applied before the issuance, the more money can be charged for the permit. Which appears to be true because in looking at garage permits, for example, a permit with 28 inspections does cost more than a permit with 22 inspections. So lets say I pay more for a garage permit because it has 6 more inspections than some other guys garage permit. At the end the contractor knows they don't really have to worry about a couple of minor inspections because the county isn't going to do anything about a couple of minor fails. Yet, I had to pay more for those few extra inspections listed on the permit. Somehow this doesn't seem right.

Also, in my example for a pool cage, the original cage permit was $94. The 2 "fail with fees" totaled $100 ($6 more than the original permit). Kind of stupid if the county just lets those 2 penalty fees go uncollected. Which brings me back to my question, what does the county do next ? Do they go after the contractor and collect the $100 ? Or just let it go because the "fails" are deemed minor ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte