Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times

Advertisements

I've got some youngsters (early to mid-twenties) coming down to visit during the week of 1/12 thru 1/16 and I'm looking for some fresh ideas to keep them occupied. This isn't their first trip so they've already experienced some of what the area has to offer such as: Englewood Beach, Siesta Key, Manatee Park, and borrowed bikes and rode around P.G.
I checked the Harley-Davidson place in Ft. Myers (no concerts) and FL Tracks & Trails isn't open yet. I brought up TreeUmph but they thought while it looks exciting it's too expensive (still in college and vacationing on a budget). That leaves me with: dolphin cruise from FishVille, visit to Peace River Animal Rehab, Ft. Myers Beach, lunch @ The Nav-a-gator and river boat tour, rent kayaks from near Laishley's.
Any other ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Mini golf at Fish Cove (coupon on their web site) . : : Fish Cove : : .

Sharkys on the Pier in Venice - go to the beach, walk the pier, watch them fishing or go fishing - Sharky's On The Pier - Also, go to the jetty's in Venice

Gallery Walk downtown Punta Gorda on Jan. 15th - http://www.charlotteharbortravel.com....ZIHGJ3jT.dpbs

Trolley Tours downtown Punta Gorda - Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce: Trolley and Boat Tours

Port Charlotte Beach Complex - lots to do there - http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/com...lotteBeach.asp

The Shell Factory in N. Ft Myers - https://www.shellfactory.com/

Muscle Car City - diner and museum - Rick Treworgy's Muscle Car City Museum

Visani's Comedy Club - Home

Charlotte County Historical Center - Historical

Take them to some of the waterfront restaurants, Tiki Bars, etc.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:47 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Are they into baseball? It looks like the Stone Crabs have a couple of games during their stay. Did you check out if anything going on at Cedar Point in Englewood, sometimes run stuff they might find interesting. But then again, a couple of years ago our 20 something neice and nephew visited while we were down there, we had all these places to offer for some fun and they just wanted to relax between semesters and hang out around the pool.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Dang ...... I am printing this list out Tammy..Good Job!! and I have no doubt right off the top of your head ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Mini golf at Fish Cove (coupon on their web site) . : : Fish Cove : : .

Sharkys on the Pier in Venice - go to the beach, walk the pier, watch them fishing or go fishing - Sharky's On The Pier - Also, go to the jetty's in Venice

Gallery Walk downtown Punta Gorda on Jan. 15th - Punta Gorda Gallery Walk - Charlotte Harbor

Trolley Tours downtown Punta Gorda - Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce: Trolley and Boat Tours

Port Charlotte Beach Complex - lots to do there - Port Charlotte Beach Park

The Shell Factory in N. Ft Myers - https://www.shellfactory.com/

Muscle Car City - diner and museum - Rick Treworgy's Muscle Car City Museum

Visani's Comedy Club - Home

Charlotte County Historical Center - Historical

Take them to some of the waterfront restaurants, Tiki Bars, etc.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
It is less than 3 hours to Fort Lauderdale. Great time for a day trip to Lauderdale or South Beach. Take the ferry to Key West. Crowds are off after the first at Disney/Universal. Again a day trip up to Universal, club at City Walk.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 AM

Lots of good suggestions! Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! And,

Happy, Healthy New Year!

Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
A couple good day trips, go to Boca Grande, and shop, get Ice Cream at the Loose Caboose.
Also great shopping and exploring at Matlache, and don't forget the ice cream on the corner store. Everyone loves that artsy little town.
The Edison / Ford estates are also great to check out.
Then there are always festivals. If you check you the sticky thread, there is a link to everything Punta Gorda, it is always updating with festivals and things that are going on here - keep checking that out.

Here it is, I retrieved it for ya.
http://www.everythingpuntagorda.com

Old 12-31-2014, 10:19 AM

How can I forget Matlache??!! That is a great little town. I'm put that at the top of my recommendations!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Dang ...... I am printing this list out Tammy..Good Job!! and I have no doubt right off the top of your head ..
I take my grandchildren to different places and other guests when they come down, so we have scoped out most of them, but are always looking for more ideas ourselves.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:08 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Here are my suggestions:

Babcock Wilderness Adventures: babcockwilderness

Octagon Wildlife Sanctuary: Home to abandoned, abused or retired exotic tigers, lions, bears and other wildlife - Octagon Wildlife Sanctuary and Rehabilitation Center.

Three Palms Speedway: Three Palms Speedway - Home

Get up close and personal with some gators or cruise the mangrove tunnels via kayak or paddle board with my good friend and 5th generation Floridian, Mr. Jamie Hooks: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamie...63699003744244

In the evenings Dean's South of the Boarder, TT Tiki and Celtic Ray in downtown Punta Gorda have great live music:
Dean's South of the Border and Hurricane Charley's Raw Bar & Grill, Punta Gorda FL
Celtic Ray Irish Pub
Home

Go hike one of the various State Parks:
Welcome to Florida State Parks

Big Cat Rescue: Big Cat Rescue | Caring for Cats – Ending the Trade

Take a ride out to Cabbage Key: Florida Island Vacation Inn, Cottages, Restaurant and Marina on Cabbage Key in Southwest Florida

Mote Marine: Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium

Edison Ford Winter Estate: Fort Myers, Florida | Museum, Botanical Gardens, Research Laboratory | Tours, Events - Edison & Ford Winter Estates - (239) 334-7419

Swamp Buggy Races: Florida Sports Park-Collier Counties Entertainment Venue - The Florida Sports Park Southwest Florida's premier entertainment venue and home of the World Famous Swamp Buggy Races

Spanish Point: Historic Spanish Point | 30 acres and 5,000 years of history on Little Sarasota Bay 337 N. Tamiami Trail, Osprey, FL Members Free, Adults $10, Kids ages 5-12 $5, Senior Discount $1 off | Hours: 9am to 5pm Monday – Saturday, 12-5pm Sunday | 941-

Take a day trip down to Key West via the ferry: Official Website of Key West Express

Sarasota Jungle Gardens: Sarasota Jungle Gardens -Welcome

The Shell Factory: https://www.shellfactory.com/

Selby Botanical Gardens: Home - Marie Selby Botanical Gardens

Grab an ice cream at St Armands Circle: St Armands Circle Homepage

Check out some birds at: Save our Seabirds, Inc | Rescue, Rehabilitate, Release, Educate

Should keep them busy for a week or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte