Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:16 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times

Advertisements

Tim, you said "I chose Port Charlotte by random chance. From what I have been able to see, it looks like a nice area."

Please do yourself a big favor and visit the area a few times before making the move.

It is a great area for some of us, but as others have mentioned a good job could be a problem.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 10:12 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Tim: The more I thought about it, the more I wondered about your social needs .. I dont have a clue about who you are or your social needs. I admit I have NO IDEA how many people are living here in your age bracket, or in your financial situation/bracket. That said because, while I was eating my late breakfast, I was pondering the dilemma of ,really desiring 2 of our kids to move down here and yet at the same time wondering if they will find this area to be a social desert...

Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 6,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

Snow shoveller, limited opportunities
I want to avoid this as much as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Anyway, Like others have said, what is your occupation? Are you looking to rent or buy? Have you been to the area before? I would suggest visiting if you haven't checked things out yet.

There's all kinds of water related things to do here--fishing, kayaking, paddleboarding, going to the beach. My father in law goes to a lot of motorcycle events sponsored by Black Widow Harley in Port Charlotte. Your Southwest Florida source for Harley-Davidson motorcycles, service, rentals, MotorClothes, collectables and Vespa/Piaggio Scooters and EBR bikes
My occupation is in the people service. I'm an excellent retail salesman. I drifted away from that and entered the very rewarding of homecare for the elderly. This is actually the field I would like to remain in, but, I have no problems taking a different job. I definitely plan to line up some work before I get down there.

As for housing, I plan to rent.

I read about your father-in-law and I wish him a speedy recovery. I was in an accident in June 2014 and fractured my neck and left arm. Not nearly as bad as he has it, but, I understand the long road to recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
...unless you love it warm, you might be taken back.

I have a Harley, and this area is fantastic to go for a long ride! Once you get 10 miles or more from the heavily populated areas along 75 and 41, you can ride for miles without any lights or stop signs. Lots of great scenery to take in, but it is really flat. So motorcycle riding in short is awesome here!!

The fish here are warm water fish, and they taste different than cold water fish. Lobsters here are not near as good as a cold water Maine lobster, but if you know where to look you can find seafood stores that sell cold water fish and lobsters.

Welcome to the board!! Feel free to ask more about the area.

Good Luck! Its going to be 71 here today. :-)
I prefer the heat. I expect it to be a different heat than what we get here in Maine. When it's in the 90s here, I am the guy who reminds people that it's not snowing.

Please don't judge me, but I have a Honda. LOL

As much as I love Maine lobster, I rarely eat it. once every year or 2... and I live on the coast and know lobstermen, so i can get it for "off the boat" prices. I am sure that I can survive without it.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Tim: The more I thought about it, the more I wondered about your social needs .. I dont have a clue about who you are or your social needs. I admit I have NO IDEA how many people are living here in your age bracket, or in your financial situation/bracket. That said because, while I was eating my late breakfast, I was pondering the dilemma of ,really desiring 2 of our kids to move down here and yet at the same time wondering if they will find this area to be a social desert...
For the most part, I am a loner. My kids are grown and are very involved in their own lives.

The occasional person to chat with over coffee or a drink is about the extent of my social needs. I've been divorced since 2001 and have no interest in dating, so that's not a social need. lol

Motorcycle rides are nice with other people, but, not necessary.

I'm not an overly needy person and I get along with a majority of people that I meet.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Its going to be 71 here today. :-)
24 here...

Old 01-10-2015, 07:05 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
I came cron new hampshire. And motorcyling here even though grea weather i loved a t short at night in the summer. I found the roads flat strait and booring compared to nHers winding twisty hilly backroads. And the cars that would just pull out of a side road you have to watchout cor the inexpected. Acter ten years the summer heat i dont mind as bad as at first and i never have the chanse of free ing to death sith a winter ice storm poser outage

Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Maine Winters are the driving force for this move. I slipped on the ice and broke my ankle last winter. I was supposed to leave in October this past fall, but, a car accident F'd that up for me.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:49 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
You should have plenty of work opportunity here in your occupation....just be ready for sticker shock when it comes to your paycheck. The good news is costs of living is also much lower.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:41 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Tim: I dont know how accurate those Cost of Living Calculators are, that said here goes..... If you live in Portland ME.. Punta Gorda is about 16% cheaper to live in.. However if you live in Bangor.. its a wash.. cost wise..The Bigger Elephant in the room is Income comparison. Pay Scales are crazy down here, and seldom if ever in a good way for the worker.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:01 AM

I've actually checked on the pay scale for home caregiver. It's pretty comparable to Maine.

I do have an in with a Lowes in Naples, in a worst case scenario. A Manager at one of the stores, was a manager of mine in Maine.

Rent's seem to be reasonable in the PC-PG area. Maybe I can camp out in somebody's back yard. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte