Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:46 AM

165 posts, read 253,980 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are finally ready to purchase a boat. Pontoon, for casual fishing, shelling that type of thing.
Saw an ad for the Freedom boat club. Spoke with the owner. Entrance seems a bit steep and monthly dues were up their. But, given the initial investment in a used boat, insurance, towing, maintenance was wondering if anyone has also gone down this road. Im leaning towards the used boat. But any advice out there? Port Charlotte resident and full timer also for many years now.

Last edited by PCHI; 01-21-2015 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,185 times
I joined the FBC a couple months ago, & love it.
Talk to Vince in the P Gorda office, tell him Doug with the motorcycles told you he was running a special, 1st year, no dues.
as for the club itself, its nice. lots of locations, all I have to pay for is the gas, no maintaining, insurance, hauling, fixing, washing, etc.
Its probably not for everyone, but for me, I now go out at least once & usually twice a week.
When I had to take the time to haul a boat to the water, I went once a month.
I think it'll pay for itself rather quickly.

Doug

Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM

202 posts, read 227,473 times
A used boat in good condition can be a real bargain. If you've never owned a boat renting a few different styles sounds like a good idea. Many of us have bought boats only to find out that they were just not right for the kind of use we ended up liking.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,826 times
Different strokes for different folks.. About 4 million people visit Cozumel Mexico Every Year.. Many who visit.... dream of living there or visiting much more regularly..So , a Few Hundred of us have Bought Homes.. a few Thousand Bought Time Shares and Millions rent by the day the week the month.. Different strokes for different folks..

Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 PM

52 posts, read 74,133 times
Seems like a timeshare trap, read the reviews...the time you can actually use the boats seems deterring.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Thats a scary thought.. There are Honest Time Share Projects and there are others that are not.. this issue may well be the same with many other property sharing plans. I knew 2 of the most successful closers in the Mexican Riviera andas I learned from them, there is a lot to know ( read and UNDERSTAND) before you sign..Read and Understand what you read before you sign, goes hand in hand.. To The Victor Goes The Spoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKoala View Post
Seems like a timeshare trap, read the reviews...the time you can actually use the boats seems deterring.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
One of my best friends who will be moving down upon retirement next year went to a FBC open house in October (Cape Haze). He is a very smart guy who researches EVERY purchase. He decided the boat club was not for him. Yes, the up-front fees and monthly fee was quite high but he has money, so that wasn't the dagger. For him personally, it was the use restrictions. He would only want to use the boats on the weekends when the rest of us non-retirees will be out. With FBC, you can only reserve a few "credits" at one time and you can't have both saturday and sunday booked on a weekend. I understand they do this so all members have boat availability, but for him, this doesn't work and he will likely buy a boat and do in/out storage at a marina. The boat clubs are a great option for those that intend to use the boats according to the rules & restrictions. For others, ownership is the best option.
FYI regarding insurance, it's not required unless you have a boat loan which requires it. A used $8,000 pontoon, why bother? A $70,000 30' twin engine CC, absolutely. But that's your call :-)

Old 01-24-2015, 08:45 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
We went with a used boat, figure we will be dollars ahead. You check the used boat prices, there was a nice flats boat for $4995. Doesn't take long to pay for a boat like that. However, if you don't know what you want and if you are not tied into a long term contract, it would be a good way to experience various styles, sizes.

For example,I saw a 20' cruiser pulling in a sailboat yesterday through Boca Grande Pass. Wind was up, waves would have swamped a flats boat whereas the cruiser cut cleanly through the waves. At the same time, a flats boat is a better fishing craft.

All depends.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM

I wonder what was up with that? I know there are times when sailing in heavy weather is no longer fun but having someone TOW your sailboat when there is wind?? I would Like to hear that Captains excuse hahahaa How Embarassing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
For example,I saw a 20' cruiser pulling in a sailboat yesterday through Boca Grande Pass. Wind was up,
All depends.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 AM

165 posts, read 253,980 times
After reading some online reviews, reading some thoughts here, we have decided that buying a good used pontoon boat, for us, is the way to go. The boat club thing didn't feel like a good fit. We are still full time workers and getting enough time on the boats to justify the cost would be tough. Thanks for the input. Ideas and where to find a good used pontoon? We have just started looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte