Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times

Advertisements

we recently visited some relatives in deep creek which is in punta gorda and we loved it.we currently live in boston but have lived in puerto rico and we love the sun and warm weather.does anyone have any suggestions or any negatives on the area?we have 2 children and they loved it as well of course being on vacation is much different than actually living there but the temp and relaxation was something we have not seen in a while.we are a little concerned as far as jobs so we are taking our time and make sure we are making the proper decision.if anyone could give us some insight it would be greatly appreciated.thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:25 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Most people in Charlotte county either work in the school system or in the medical field. Many travel to nearby Ft Myers where the pay is usually better. If you could tell me your profession I could give you better direction. How old are your children? The schools in Charlotte county and Sarasota county are A rated schools. There are some schools that people prefer to others.

There are tons of good deals in Port Charlotte and North Port. I would look for foreclosures and stay away from short sales.

If you could be a little more specifics I could give you better advice

Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM

i'm in the automotive business and my wife is an accountant.my children are 13 and 11.i saw some really good deals in deep creek as far as buying a home but i was thinking of renting first to see how it goes.

my wife would leave today if she could but i keep telling her with children it's a huge decision and we have to make sure we're doing the right thing.on top of that we have to sell our home.

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-08-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Smile living in Deep Creek

If your wife is an accountant, she should be able to find work in the area. To get an idea of what's available for both of you, you may want to check the classifieds of the local newspapers at Sun Newspapers or Home - HeraldTribune.com | Southwest Florida's Information Leader There are a variety of activities for kids in the area. You will find the YMCA has an extensive list of programs and a pool. We have all levels of sports activities including the school sports, karate, dance, gymnastics, soccer, baseball, track, motocross and more. The mall has movies, and the beach is close by for shelling, swimming, and boating.

Deep Creek is convenient to everything, but you may find you like another area better after you have a chance to investigate all the possibilites. Your final destination may be determined by where you work. You can't beat the weather no matter where you are in Southwest Florida. It's 81 degrees right now.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
we recently visited some relatives in deep creek which is in punta gorda and we loved it.we currently live in boston but have lived in puerto rico and we love the sun and warm weather.does anyone have any suggestions or any negatives on the area?we have 2 children and they loved it as well of course being on vacation is much different than actually living there but the temp and relaxation was something we have not seen in a while.we are a little concerned as far as jobs so we are taking our time and make sure we are making the proper decision.if anyone could give us some insight it would be greatly appreciated.thanx
We are a younger family who lived in Punta Gorda Isles. When we considered buying in the area, Deep Creek was our first choice due to affordability & its location to the highway & the big box stores in Port Charlotte. Our second choice was Burnt Store Meadows but we were priced out of that area.

But after seeing about 30 homes over a 12 month period & driving through the area time after time we did not care for it. It is a rough mix of new homes intertwined with run down homes. We did not care for the deed restrictions & actually thought they would hinder us if we needed to sell. This past summer there were about 75 cars broken into by bored teenagers (happens anywhere, though). You have to drive to Port Charlotte or Fort Myers to do anything with teenagers; nothing is offered in Punta Gorda nor is Punta Gorda geared towards teenagers.

There is one home we looked at twice that started at $250k & is now $174k. Deep Creek had extensive overconstruction & now just has an abundance of empty homes. Prices are still falling. I HIGHLY suggest avoiding anything by Adams Homes.

We moved from the area due to family & personal reasons. While I personally don't feel like Charlotte county is a place for kids, I saw a good mix of teenagers at the Port Charlotte Mall (very dissapointing mall but there are some good ones in Fort Myers) & teenagers just being teenagers. There appears to be much more offered in that area for the age your children are compared to toddlers & elementary age.

Just REALLY research Deep Creek. Interview realtors if you are interested in this area....there is such a need to sell & rent that anyone will tell you what you WANT to hear & not necessarily the truth.

Drive around the area at different times of the day. Drive all around several streets (DC is a very large development). The website charlotteareamls will show you just what is for sale in the area. Have a realtor send you all the homes they want but on your own travel & look at them.

Definitely rent first That way, you will have time to get adjusted to the area & really see if it a place you want to own a home. There is NO need to rush into buying in Deep Creek with so much for sale. I cannot tell you how much prices have dropped in the past year & how so many of the SAME homes are still for sale. Take your time!! We are beyond grateful we didn't rush into buying. Initally we really thought it was the area for us but after living there for several months we realized how much it was not...

Everyone has different experiences in the area. Have jobs secured prior to the move; it is not an area that is thriving with employment but there are jobs out there. The schools are ok but not the best; just have to research them. Some are better than others.

Best of luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 PM

where did you end up going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte